Similar Symptoms?

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Similar Symptoms?

Postby twinkler » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:34 pm

Hi,

New to the Forum.

I am a Type2 Diabetic who has been taking Metformin for 3 years. I also take Perindropril, Gliklazide, Fenofibrate and SIMVASTATIN.

For 6 months I have been getting soreness (a bit like sunburn) on the base of my feet and palms of my hands. More recently the tips of fingers and toes getting same feeling. Over the last 4 months I have also been getting slightly sore lips/tongue and same with eyes (feel like dryness).

I am also getting A LOT of itching all over and especially on my back.

I had a 'what seemed like' muscular left shoulder problem about 3 months back and this comes and goes.

Doctor seems neither too concerned NOR sure what to do. Doctor suggested possibly Gliklazide and have been off that for a week or to BUT NO IMPROVEMENT.

I AM GOING TO TRY COMING OFF SIMVASTATIN as I am starting to think the soreness, itching, shoulder issues COULD BE relatied to Statin(s).

Anyone have similar or advice please. Its driving me mad!.

ALL HELP/ADVICE GREATFULLY APPRECIATED ;-)

All the best
B
twinkler

Postby Allen1 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:13 am

Hi there twinkler and welcome to the forum.

A lot of what you are experiencing could be down to statins or a reaction to the other medications you are taking or the combination of them. I personally ended up with itching and many other problems that appear to have been caused by the statins, mine was also Simvastatin (Zocor), I am not diabetic so I can't speak for the other medications apart from Perindropril which was changed to Ramipirol after 8 or 9 years of use.

I stopped taking Statins 3 years ago but the itching still occurs, I use Betnovate cream as mine turned really bad on my right hand and it took over a year to clear up and the skin to recover, I still get episodes as in the hollow of the lower back, tops of my forearms and hands and occasionally my legs.

Realistically you are in my eyes, doing the right thing by coming off the Simvastatin, you may feel a difference after a couple of weeks but it is more common for problems to persist for a lot longer than that and maybe just end up being less severe than before as in my case.

For some folk when they stop Statins, things will get back to normal but for others, problems persist. For those who have problems and stay on statins, they are literally playing with fire and will more than likely end up with a much poorer quality of life which need not have gotten that bad if they knew about the problems and took appropriate action such as what you are about to do.

Remember that a couple of weeks break from statins will not realistically show an improvement, don't be talked into taking another form of statin or to restart the Simvastatin, that is only throwing petrol onto the fire. You need at least 6 months off the statins to get a real view of any improvements, if you then decide to go back on the statins that is your own personal decision although I personally wouldn't even consider doing so and didn't.

I do hope things improve for you very quickly, it does for some and maybe you are amongst that type :)

All the best,
Allen.
Allen1

Postby twinkler » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:49 am

Hi Allen1,
Thanks for the caring advice; greatfully appreciated.
I agree it could be different due to my diabetes also. Could I ask if you were also taking Blood Pressure drugs such as Atenolol, Fenofirbate and Perindropril as well as the Simvastatin?.
In terms of the itching and soreness, there isn't an visible signs of problems. The only thing i have noticed is a slightly drier skin ot the hands than I had before. The soreness and itching NOT accompanied by an visible skin issues.
I do also seem to get colder hands and feet which (based on my recent experience of cold UK winters) seems more than it used to be.
I am considering taking (as well as dropping off the Simvastatin) the folowing 'over the counter' medications along with my diabetic pills:-
L- Carnitine, CoQ 10, V-D3
Any thoughts about these 3 items?
The doctor seems not to question Simvastatin but as we all know, they seem to be learning at the same pace that we all are (as citizens) about this new supposedly wonder drug and long terms issues.
Best regards
B
twinkler

Postby Allen1 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:42 pm

Hi there twinkler,

I was taking Atenolol, Perindropril, Aspirin as well as the Simvastatin and Lansoprazole for Heartburn and acid reflux. The Atenolol and Perindropril was changed to Bisoprolol Fumarate and Ramipirol after 8 or 9 years of taking them.

The majority of the soreness and itching is not accompanied by an visible skin issues for me either apart from when the first real problem started on my right hand, at the moment though, my toes and right hand have what looks like blood blisters on them which hurt a lot and also itch. These have only appeared in the last 6 weeks, I also have Arthritis in my toes and I think at times my hands.

Since stopping Statins my skin in general has improved and is more elastic than when I was on them, the itchy areas are drier than the other areas and as I mentioned Betnovate generally keeps things comfortable but it doesn't seem to do much with the new problem on my hand and toes. Apart from the Betnovate, ask your doctor for some Doublebase cream, it comes in a pump dispenser and keeps your skin moisturised, the doc may have something better than that so it can't harm to ask.

I am pleased you are coming off the Simvastatin and going to start on the supplements, with a bit of luck you may have nipped any serious problems in the bud. It truly is a crazy world we live in where doctors do not believe what a patient is trying to convey and that patient ends up too sore, ill or exhausted to leave the house and only do if they absolutely have to. I never envisaged living like that at 53 but here we are, if only someone had mentioned about statin side effects, what a difference that could have made, 10 - 12 years of Simvastatin have taken their toll :?

Do take those supplements along with B complex and Omega 3 etc, I can't remember if Vitamin D is 3 or 4 for best results, I can only find Vitamin D with Calcium around here!

All the best,
Allen.
Allen1

Postby valgators » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:28 pm

Hello Allen & Twinkler:

I just had to add my two cents' worth regarding Vitamin D. Please, please have your vitamin D levels checked with a simple blood test called 25 hydroxy Vitamin D. This is the correct test for the important vitamin D levels. A score of around 50 is desirable. I can tell you from personal experience that low vitamin D levels greatly add to the misery of achy and sore muscles. Mine was checked for the first time and I was at 19! I had to take prescription vitamin D for 4 months just to get it up to 31. I now take 2000 IU's of Vitamin D3 every day. Still trying to get it up to 50.

You might be interested in doing research on the crisis of low vitamin D levels. Dr. Mercola is one good reference site.
Best to you. Valgators
valgators

Postby Allen1 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:01 pm

Hi there Valgators,

thanks for the information, I didn't know what the test was called but I will now ask my doctor to see about getting it done the next time I see him. I try to stay away from the doctors as much as possible wherever I can, its hard not to sound like a hypochondriac with all the issues that we go through and sometimes its best to just try and get things sorted out one at a time.

I do hope your Vitamin D levels return to normal, the whole statin problem and cholesterol reduction idea has effected our ability to make enough Vitamin D through sunlight exposure too. mind you there isn't much chance of getting lots of sunlight here in England at the moment, its still Winter ;)

All the best,
Allen :)
Allen1

Postby David Staup » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:28 pm

welcoe twinkler,

use the search function on this site for burning feeling and you will find many, many references... it's a sign of neuropathy and is a very common statin side effect....B6, B12, and folic acid (high dose) seems to be the only help noted here

D3 is the form of vitamin D that is best...I take 5000 IU 2x per day...

see this post for more symptoms to look foe associated with statins:

"http://www.spacedoc.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=1653

David
David Staup

Withdrawal?

Postby twinkler » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:03 am

Its been 4-5 since I took myself off Simvastatin and in reality I seem to be feeling worse this last 1-2 days than I was before I stopped the Simvastatin (the soreness, itching etc is worse). COULD IT BE that I am in some sort of 'Withdrawal' state?. Can you get withdrawal symptoms when coming off a Statin?. Like mentioned above; its as if the issues I have had are now somewhat magnified this last few days.
Advice greatfully appreciated.
Best
B
twinkler

Postby Allen1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:57 am

Hi there twinkler,

sorry, I thought I had included that in the first reply but I can't see it. The symptoms often become worse when you stop taking Statins, the time period is variable from person to person, it can last for a few days or even a few months to settle down, the difference is that if you had continued with the statins, these problems would only get even worse as time went by.

Do go and see about Betnovate or something along those lines to get some relief from the itching, its not perfect and as you are aware, many doctors still don't see the connection of symptoms and Statins. I wish there was a cure for what we have allowed ourselves to do to our bodies and mind by taking Statins. It is very important to use what is available to make your symptoms more bearable, it is also a wise move to start taking the supplements mentioned by yourself, David, valgators and myself to help your body return to where it should be and it will then be able to cope with every day problems as it should.

I know it all sounds dubious but until modern medicine comes up with something better, we have to use what is available and has been found to work. If only we knew about these problems before embarking on doing ourselves so much harm.

I hope this helps you to realise that the symptoms will settle down, they may even go away as the symptoms have for some, I hope you are one of those people but don't forget to mention your problems to friends as it may just save someone else from going through a similar horrific experience.

All the best,
Allen.
Allen1

Supplement(s)

Postby twinkler » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi all,
Thanks for the recent advice from everyone.
As I am Diabetic and also taking Blood Pressure medication I have decided to go for a Vitamin Supplement called DIABETONE ... link is :-
http://www.vitabiotics.com/Diabetone/di ... rmula.aspx
I have been off Simvastatin for 4-5 days as I suggested.
Looking at the DIABETONE Formula (the web link above) it seems the only things I need to add are Q10 and Omega3 along with the daily DIABETONE pill (based on your suggestions earlier in this forum post) UNLESS anyone can suggest Q10 and OMEGA3 aren't suitable if youre diabetic.. Im sure they are but any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks
B
twinkler

Worse after discontinuing statins

Postby Nancy W » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:01 am

Twinkler,

I also was worse after discontinuing red yeast rice on august 1st of 2009.. In fact, I would say that a full four to six weeks later, I experienced dramatically increased fatigue with exercise (in addition to neuropathy in my feet, hands legs and hands). At that point, I had found this site, and began doing the supplementation for mitochondrial support. It took another month for the pain to diminish some and then longer for the fatigue. Seven months later, I have many days without pain, but not all. The pain still comes now and then in my feet, once every couple of weeks in my right hand. I am slowly building my exercise tolerance back with water aerobics. I am grateful to have less pain than I did, grateful to have less fatigue, though I realize I may never be totally back. This after 6 weeks of RYR.

Stick with the supplementation. Keep reading here for lots of education. You will be glad you did.
Nancy
Nancy W

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs