How many people are on statins that we didn't realise

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

How many people are on statins that we didn't realise

Postby Allen1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:56 pm

Two weeks ago I bumped into my friend and his wife who both worked in the same place I did, I hadn't seen them for well over a year and both of them are decent folk and like a bit of daft carry on especially John as he always had a joke to play but was a darn good worker as well. Anyway it turns out that John had been diagnosed with diabetes type 2 over a year ago and was also put on statins, he had taken the statins for about a year and many of the physical and memory problems started to make his life a living hell. As luck would have it, someone in his town told him about statins and he stopped taking them, I think talking about our problems and realising that he or maybe we were not alone in these experiences helped both of us. John is not the same larger than life person now and statins have robbed him of some of his confidence and desire and ability to do the things he loved, most of us know all about those problems, the sooner this madness with statins ends the better.

When I do a bit of shopping or whatever, I start to lose my ability to think clearly, the more exertion the quicker I go blank and sound like I am on something or just plain retarded, this is the case when I went to buy some blank DVDs and couldn't explain what I was after, I mentioned that I was ok until I started cholesterol lowering medication and the shopkeeper said it wasn't Simvastatin was it, I replied yes, it turns out that his mother was put on that too and she went down hill very fast, fortunately the shopkeeper Googled Simvastatin and found out what a poison this stuff is and got her off the stuff, at least he is now aware that I am not a head-case when I cannot get the words out and that I am harmless ;) I actually think I am getting worse instead of better although I am not falling asleep all the time now, that could change at any time though as things usually reappear with most of our symptoms.

Both the above are true except John is not actually called John, What happens to me after exertion can be extremely embarrassing and I tend to avoid conversation where I can because of it. Not much of a life really is it, getting exhausted so easy along with various pains but we have to remember there are always people worse off than ourselves.
Allen1

Postby Cat Mom2 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:05 am

I just find it completely amazing the more you talk to people, the more people you find that are having problems on statins yet they continue to brag about how good these drugs are and never admitting how many people are suffering because of them.

I reconize people with clear statin side effects and ask if they are on them and always get a "yes, why?". You ask if they are having problems on them and they say "Not a one!"...

I have noticed on other boards I go to that more and more people are waking up to the damage these drugs are doing and asking for help on how to keep cholesterol low without drugs.. More and more are refusing to take them so we ARE making progress in getting the word out. Attitudes are changing!
Cat Mom2

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs