Statins are Destructive

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Statins are Destructive

Postby NurseJudy » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:36 am

I am a Magna Cum Laude Graduate with a Bachelor's in Nursing who helped manage a 40 bed ICU. I was involved in training nurses, paramedics, and doctors. I know all drugs have side effects, toxic effects, and individual adverse reactions. My father has been on statin drugs for about 10 years. His doctor threatened to cancel his insurance when he wanted to stop his statin drug. This was despite muscle pain, weakness, loss of memory, constant chest pain (never related to anything when he went to the ER), skin problems, fatigue, loss of balance, loss of libido, neuropathy, and now loss of ability to urinate on his own. (To name but a few). I am shocked that MD's are so poorly informed about the side effects of statin drugs, and seem to think these drugs are the answer for a multitude of conditions. Even diabetics are now encouraged to use them to prevent heart disease - and they already have problems with nerve damage! The of destruction Co Q10 and dilochol by these drugs is enough to make one shudder. The cure is, in my opinion, definitely worse than the disease. If I had a choice, I would keep my elevated cholesterol and avoid the drugs at all costs. I know people who have experienced paralysis and debilitating pain, without doctors recognizing the relationship to the statin drugs. These were relatives of friends who are nurses. Their symptoms almost always improved or disappeared when they stopped their drugs. Many things like our brains, nerves, and hormones need cholesterol to work. In all this discussion of cholesterol, no one talks about homocysteine, nano-bacteria, inflammation, or triglycerides - all related to heart disease. Do you think this could be because there is no medication for these problems yet? I predict that this class of drugs will be our next Viox. Oops!
NurseJudy

Lipitor and teens

Postby Gusto » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:42 pm

Tell me what you think of a 15 year old being given Lipitor for familial hyperlipidemia?
Gusto

Lipitor and a 15 year Old

Postby NurseJudy » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:29 pm

I woould want to know what happens to other children with this same type of condition? What happens if the drug also destroys the coenzyme Q10 needed for energy in all the cells (litle power houses called mitochondria)? I cannot give medical advice, but I would do a lot more searching on the internet statin side effects and toxic effects.

God bless you on your journey.
NurseJudy

My Statin Story

Postby madmccuenof3 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:10 am

I am 44 female, 5 ft. 90 lbs. and for more than 12 years have taken cholesterol medication. It started with cholestermine (I think that is how you spell it) and the last was Vytorin. I was diagnosed with high cholesterol in my 20's and both my parents died from heart disease. My mother was 42 and died of her first heart attack, my father was in his 60's and died after approximately 10 heart attacks and 3 major strokes. As you can tell I am not overweight. I eat quite healthy and up until approimately 8 years ago I was very active. I had to change physicians due to our insurance. I had to go to the doctor because I hurt my back. The doctor said I had bulging disks and I dealt with it. On the next visit he wanted to blood work and get a complete history. When the blood work came back he said my cholesterol was very high and wanted to change my medication. I was put on a statin. I can't remember which one was first but I have taken all of them including Baycol before it was taken off the market. After starting the statins I soon developed muscle pain and weakness, fatique, joint paint, swelling of the joints, difficulty recovering from minor sinus infections. I approached the doctor and he said I had Fybromyalgia. I started to spiral downward rapidly, I was in his office for something 1 or 2 times a month. I had suffered migraines since my teens and they were constant during my last 2 pregancies and then they came back again, constant. He started dosing me with all kinds of things. I was on so many medicines that the pharmacy was worried. I had the worst problems with my stomach and bowels. The medicine list grew as the side effects increased. I started to have seizures at some point, memory loss, not able to concentrate as well, had to have all my teeth removed as they broke off in my sleep. My eye sight diminished. A heart attack, 3 TIA's, colo rectal surgery, gallbladder surgery, complete hysterctomy, broken ankle and foot from taking one step. My pottasium started to drop out of nowhere and would take hospitilization of up to a week to get it back to normal. Chest pains, leg pains, muscle cramps increased. About a year ago I found another dr. and he helped me get rid of most of the medicine but most of the problems continued but so did the taking of statins. At this point the new dr. put me on Vytorin. To get to present, a few months ago he increased it to 10/80, I had been on 10/20 in beginning. A few weeks went by and I don't know what happened from memory but do know what I was told and here it is. My family said on that Saturday I was sleeping a lot, then when I woke I was irritable, not rational, calling people on the phone and crying and cursing. I called the police was not myself at all. My husband took our kids and left. He had no one to watch them and he did not know what was wrong. The next day they say I went to one of the schools and wanted to pick up the kids and they would not let me. They called the police and I was so mistreated. At some point I can remember the police man had me in the car, with handcuffs tight around my tiny wrists and I had severe chest pain, headache and nausea. I was crying and I felt sick so I told him he pulled over I got sick. Next thing I remember is him slamming me to the ground, then a voice telling him to stop. It was resuce and the rescue worker knew me and knew very well my condition. The took me to a hospital but the police or someone demanded a psychiatric evaluation, well I passed with flying colors and the dr. said you need to call your dr. tomorrow and talk to him about the Vytorin. Well needless to say I could have lost my family. Also, needless to say I stopped the Vytorin (even though I have not told the dr.) I am so very afraid. I went to the dr. a few weeks ago and my cholesterol is now 343 Total, 266 LDL, 154 Triglycerides. About 3 months before I stopped the Vytorin my overall was 307. In the past 8 years I had to stop working, can't drive, for several years I could hardly even take care of myself. We have suffered major financial losses not to mention the years with my children and husband I can't get back. I just don't know where to turn. I am starting to feel better, less muscle pain, more mental clarity, eye sight improved, still very fatigued so I have to pace myself. Chest pain continues so I rest during that and sometimes use the nitroglycerin. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated. I want my life back, I want to play with my kids enjoy my husband, work, cook, clean and just LIVE, not exist. Thank you for your time and thank you for taking such a stand against the dreaded pharmaceutical companies.
Carla in Virginia
madmccuenof3

You are one of many.

Postby NurseJudy » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:58 pm

Dear Carla, Perhaps you know what to do already? I have read tht the use of statins does not prolong life of the user, may shorten it, while they reduce the quality of life. It also, according to some, may not reduce the risk of heart disease. Please read my Mevecor psoting for a list of some of the side effects related to statins coming from UCSD. Also check the link from the reply I did to a child who is 15.

I am not allowed to give medical advice. I can tell you I wa offered a statin (and my cholesterol is normal) and I turned it down.

Please do some reading on coenzyme Q10 and statins. This is also destroyed by statins, and seems to be related to many of the side effects. Some of my friends have tried coQ10 and it and it has helped. I guess you know Doc Graveline lost part of his memeory from the statins. These drugs are not candy!

I f you look at cholesterol, it seems it is part of the body's repair bandage. What is it trying to repair? Damage from high blood sugars? Damage from inflammation? Hope that helps! God bless
NurseJudy

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs