UK GP's to screen for statin-induced myopathy - hooray!!!

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

UK GP's to screen for statin-induced myopathy - hooray!!!

Postby xrn » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:08 pm

If you follow the link, you will see that Pulse, the magazine that is seen by many of the UK's general practitioners, is discussing on its front page the need for GP's to screen for statin-induced myopathy. I consider that a step forward in itself.

I registered as a member and have written a comment that was not formatted by the moderator before its publication but I am happy that my comment and possibly my informal report will now be seen by many of the GP's practising in the UK. 8) 8) 8)

The link to the front page of Pulse follows and my comments are at the end of the article:

*http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=35&storycode=4124689&c=2

Pulse article extract:

By Nigel Praities

GPs should actively screen patients taking statins in order to pick up symptoms of myotoxicity, say primary care researchers.

The UK study in nearly 600 patients found giving those taking statins a questionnaire on muscle symptoms and activity impairment dramatically increased the number of cases identified with myotoxicity.

The study - published in the latest edition of the Primary Care cardiovascular Journal - analysed the patient records of one 8,000 patient practice and found only one recorded case of muscle symptoms in a patient taking statins. But after using the questionnaire in a sample of 92 patients from the practice, they identified 19 new cases of potential muscle damage.

Kind regards,
Jeff (aka xrn)
xrn

Postby Brian C. » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:04 pm

Good! With Pfizer's atorvastatin patent expiring within a year we can expect a veritable tsunami of hitherto suppressed information I am sure.

Next 'revelation': the necessity of APOE4 allele screening, since carriers seem to be at high risk of serious neurological damage from statinization.

Unfortunately carriers experience a significantly increased risk of heart disease so are terribly vulnerable to iatrogenic damage while the cholestrol hypothesis continues to be dominant in medical practice.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Allen1 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:01 pm

That was an interesting comment you left Jeff, a bit of the honey vs vinegar approach and in cases like this, probably the right one. It is good to see that Statin damage is being looked into and the information you are providing is adding fuel to the fire and it looks like that fire is not going to extinguish any time soon.

I know that I would like to see this end up with certain doctors being struck off for hiding the information that has been brought to their attention and then ridiculing those problems on TV and newspapers and then to place major doubt to any possible validity in 1000,s of peoples minds. Those doctors and professors involved should also face criminal charges for the further harm that they allowed to take place by pretending everything was rosy when they knew things most certainly were not, I still can't believe how low what some people will stoop for money.

The way things are going these hopes may soon become a reality, many things are changing especially here in the UK, just look at what has happened to the politicians for a start, it goes to prove that not everyone is above the law, even when they think they are.

Keep up the good work Jeff :)
Allen1

Postby xrn » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:06 am

Allen1:
That was an interesting comment you left Jeff, a bit of the honey vs vinegar approach and in cases like this, probably the right one. It is good to see that Statin damage is being looked into and the information you are providing is adding fuel to the fire and it looks like that fire is not going to extinguish any time soon.

Jeff:
I was a little fed up with the formatting for it gives the wrong impression and suggests that the reply was a bit of a knee jerk reaction but I accept that the editor was probably unaware. It is a huge step in the right direction to see that GP's are now are starting to fall out of love with cholesterol levels disease and statins. I had sent some material to the PCT authority for the whole nation and the BMJ and the BMA... all ignored, whatever about the condescending response from the MHRA but Pulse is read by just about every practising GP. Getting a chance to promote any sort of debate is heartening. I have been trying to attract the attention of GP's for a long time. It is easy to dismiss non-qualified people as idiots who know nothing. I expect that a combative style of debate at this point will encourage the GP's to ignore the argument and look at the manner in which it is couched. i don't want to risk the tiny toehold that has been offered to me by Pulse.

Allen1:
I know that I would like to see this end up with certain doctors being struck off for hiding the information that has been brought to their attention and then ridiculing those problems on TV and newspapers and then to place major doubt to any possible validity in 1000,s of peoples minds.

Jeff:
My issue with this sentiment is that I think one should never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance and stupidity. The trouble with the medical profession today is I believe that the emphasis has shifted and the training has changed substantially from what I remember... where every doctor once had to display clinical skills (looking at a patient, listening to their history and laying hands on the patient, now they are more likely to be trained as to what test to ask for and they have to understand what a rise of .001 in any particular test value denotes. I used to work with clinicians who had deductive powers which were based upon a thorough knowledge of their specialty and the human body. Now, it is much less common to see such skills.

Allen1:
Those doctors and professors involved should also face criminal charges for the further harm that they allowed to take place by pretending everything was rosy when they knew things most certainly were not, I still can't believe how low what some people will stoop for money.

The problem is that organisations such as the ill-named NICE are now in a position of being able to dictate what they think is best possible practice. Any GP who works in contravention of the imprecations from NICE to work in a certain manner, are sailing too close to the wind. If a patient were to suffer asa direct result of the clinician not following the guidelines laid down by NICE, there will be no defence to charges of malpractice. If all of ones colleagues are following the guidelines and you chose not to, there is a groundswell of opinion that says you are wrong,before it even gets to a hearing for negligence. I don't believe that clinicians have anyone else to blame for that situation but themselves.

When I worked clinically, I would NEVER accept any orders from administrative staff on the grounds that they had insufficient training to understand why I was working in the way that I had chosen. Over-arching bodies such as NICE were originally provided to advise on best clinical practice... The National Institute for Clinical Excellence was their original title and I supported the idea that clinical work could be improved by looking at the best possible evidence for the different methodologies and endpoints. Unfortunately, our dumb political masters and the inevitable corruption that follows power has shifted the emphasis and despite many name changes and roles, NICE is now the arbiter of best clinical practice and if you do not follow their dicta, you are in big trouble. It removes the need for clinicians to think for themselves and I am in no dount that this is a very bad thing.

Allen1:
The way things are going these hopes may soon become a reality, many things are changing especially here in the UK, just look at what has happened to the politicians for a start, it goes to prove that not everyone is above the law, even when they think they are.

Jeff:
I am not convinced that using the politicians is a good example of change. Not one single politician has faced criminal charges and now they are complaining about having to pay back the money they stole from the public purse. What we really need are numerous political heads on sticks...for all to see outside the palace of Westminster and perhaps we should also borrow madame guillotine from our near neighbours, the French. We need a revolution to rid ourselves of our greedy and lazy politicos who have no interest in the welfare of the people. Grrr...

Allen1:
Keep up the good work Jeff :)

Jeff:
If it was good work, I would not have to do it. ;)
xrn

Postby Allen1 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:45 am

Hi there Jeff,

I see that some MPs have hired legal experts to assert that the 1689 Bill of Rights protects them from prosecution. Realistically if they succeed in being saved from prosecution, they will not be saved from the public anger and their days as our representatives will be over.

However back to the topic, yes doctors are meant to follow the NICE guidelines, they are however as the name implies "guidelines" and doctors know what will work for some people will not work for others. Most doctors have been seeing their patients for many years and know them reasonably well, obviously there are exceptions ie new patients and the likes. I believe that as patients we are all aware of the mad rush days that happen at Doctors surgeries, my Doctor for starters was unaware of the main side effects that many of us on the forum have endured, If he knew about the link between all the problems I had and the Statins, he would have done something about it right there and then although he still has his doubts as to cause. This is also due to the TV doctors and other "Reckless" people in newspapers hiding or playing down those problems, that information is not recognised or available to most busy GPs. You must also understand that it is those very people who basically influenced the NICE guideline for cholesterol treatment! Even the TV doctor herself was mentioned as having an influence in the December 2006 guidelines ie Dr Sarah Jarvis, no wonder she keeps downsizing the problems and making genuine sufferers look like they are tripping on some hallucinogenic substance when it comes to statin induced problems. The NICE guidelines are a bit of "Reckless" and "Jarvis" influenced work of fiction that is harming so many people in the real world where factual work would have been preferred and safer.

*http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/TA094guidance.pdf
*http://www.drbriffa.com/blog/2007/01/22/statin-drugs-shown-to-be-largely-ineffective-for-the-majority-of-people-who-take-them-but-why-does-this-fact-seem-to-have-passed-researchers-by/

Too many thumbs in too many pies I would have to say.

All the best,
Allen :wink:
Allen1

Postby David Staup » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:07 am

Allen

while what you say is certainly true to some extent in some cases I still think Aquinas saw the main problem when he described "cultivated ignorance"
I have offered the evidence to a large number of doctors and all but one (my current primary care psyician) refused to even consider the possibility.

stay warm over there!
David
David Staup

Postby Allen1 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:35 am

Hi there David,

you are definitely right about the "cultivated ignorance" problem, this gets worse when the magic ingredient of "Arrogance" is thrown in, in large doses, I think we all have seen this mixture in our multiple let downs and their lack of ability to see what is in front of their noses. Fortunately there are some doctors and rheumatologists who do recognise that their patients have acquired many strange and often painful symptoms since Statin therapy was started and try to what they can.

I don't know what it is like where you are but it is FREEZING over here where I live, I hope you are not in the same predicament where you are :)

Boy am I pleased that Firefox has a spell checker :):):)
Allen1

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs