Man-made fibre intolerence.

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Man-made fibre intolerence.

Postby Brian C. » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:23 am

Something new I have noted developing over the last few months is an intolerance of man-made fibre against my forearms, I develop an intense itching which sometimes, not all, is accompanied by a red rash.

Sometimes the itch is confined to just one spot, at others it is more dispersed.

I am having to replace my mixed fibre long sleeve shirts with 100% cotton.

I don't know if this a late developing adjunct of statinization, it's nearly 3 years since the last 80mg Lipitor tablet passed my lips, or just 'one of those things' that can happen as we age.

Anyone else experience this?

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Allen1 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:04 am

Hi there Brian,

good to hear from you, I think I mentioned in a post to Brookes that I had a similar problem with skin irritation/eczema that developed 2 weeks prior to my bypass operation. I still get flare ups but the 2 creams below keep things at bay :-

Betnovate RD cream (ready diluted Betnovate 1 in 4) and Doublebase cream to act as a barrier/moisturiser

For things like this, it is best to see your doctor, I often do not have obvious eczema signs but this stuff does stop the itching especially the Betnovate and I think it is a prescription only cream though I may be wrong.

All the best,
Allen :)
Allen1

Postby Brian C. » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:59 am

Hi Allen, yep I'm still here but now my wife has retired I spend much less time on the laptop.

Betnovate is a useful cream, much used by the family over the years but since the link between fibre and itch is so clear cut I will just avoid the fibre. Eliminate the cause rather than treat symptom. Would that this become the model for Western medicinal practice!

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Allen1 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi there Brian,

the amount of unnatural stuff we wear and even consume is not doing any of us any good and that's even before we add detergents and fabric conditioner into the mix of what can cause reactions.

All the best,
Allen. Well I am off now, no not that way :) I'm off to sort some other stuff out :)
Allen1

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs