A list of symptoms from statin adverse effects

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

A list of symptoms from statin adverse effects

Postby David Staup » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:50 pm

The following is a list of symptoms (in plain language) of the statin adverse effects documented in the UCSD study by Golomb. Included are links to the study and the UCSD site and links to a study concerning medication induced mitochondrial mutations/ disorders. It is my hopr that this will benifit victims in recognising the statin link to their symptoms and provide confirmation sources for their doctors.

Statin drug potential adverse reaction symptoms

The following is a list of potential symptoms of the many known adverse effects of statin drugs listed in general terms that the layman can understand . The Adverse effects that are described here are mostly from the UCSD study: “Statin Adverse Effects, A Review of the Literature and Evidence for a Mitochondrial Mechanismâ€Â
David Staup

Postby Allen1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:22 pm

That's a very informative post David, thanks for writing the information in an easy to digest form. When people like myself can no longer concentrate for more than a few minutes nowadays its like a breath of fresh air not having to decrypt some of the words that get posted and forgetting what we have just read.

Who would have thought that taking Statins could diminish your mental abilities and thought processes the way they have as well as the physical problems they cause.

The good thing about using a computer to write stuff is that you can stop and alter text as well as use a spell checker to fix mistakes, it makes things I write look quite sensible at times, if only things worked like that in real time and conversations, ah good old Statins!

All the best,
Allen :)
Allen1

Postby David Staup » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:25 pm

Allen:

"The good thing about using a computer to write stuff is that you can stop and alter text as well as use a spell checker to fix mistakes, it makes things I write look quite sensible at times, if only things worked like that in real time and conversations, ah good old Statins! "

David:
You are sooo right Allen! it took me months to put the list together and without the computer, spell check, google, copy and paste, etc. etc it would have been years.
I find the lost abilities of concentration and comprehension and remembering the hardest "adverse effects" to live with... as one who used to read a lot for pleasure and study this is the hardest loss to swallow.

Thank you for your encouragement

David
David Staup

Postby Allen1 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:35 am

[quote]David:
You are sooo right Allen! it took me months to put the list together and without the computer, spell check, google, copy and paste, etc. etc it would have been years.
I find the lost abilities of concentration and comprehension and remembering the hardest "adverse effects" to live with... as one who used to read a lot for pleasure and study this is the hardest loss to swallow.

Thank you for your encouragement

David [/quote]

Hi there David,

I used to enjoy electronics as a hobby, repairing things and making my own circuit boards firstly with the transfer method and working up to using a Computer Aided Design program. The reading I did was via electronic project books and old RS, Maplin or Farnell catalogues and the likes (great for pinouts of devices) it was also handy as I worked in a factory that produced populated circuit boards for IBM and other companies and the old catalogues were free when newer ones came in.

Nowadays there are times I wouldn't even trust myself to change a fuse in a mains plug, the best of it is, is that I thought I was getting a little better not so long ago, now it almost feels like I was back on statins.

What have we unknowingly let ourselves in for!

All the best,
Allen. :)
Allen1

Postby David Staup » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:27 pm

[quote]Allen
I used to enjoy electronics as a hobby, repairing things and making my own circuit boards firstly with the transfer method and working up to using a Computer Aided Design program

Allen funny you should mention this...I was an electronics technician and always enjoyed electronic design as a hobby also...when I saw what was happening to me I started work on a design for modifying point and shoot cameras to be used for long exposures in astronomy and a controller for computer exposure control to be sold as a kit.
although I produced 3 engineering prototypes, one of which I still use when my condition allows, I could not finist the kit. in fact I now believe that the rush to finish that project hastened my cognative decline.

I have come to believe that the worst symptoms develope in those who try the hardest to solder on both mentally and physically..
kind of pathetic isn't it.

David[/quote]
David Staup

Postby Allen1 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:24 am

Hi there David,

I think your post below is the realistic answer to why we end up both physically and mentally drained after any sort of energy usage (and often without), the situation is probably exasperated if it is followed by a poor nights sleep etc :-

*http://www.spacedoc.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=1638

I hate the fact that I can no longer do the things I enjoyed anymore, even on the odd good days I can only do things in small stages, there are many things I started that I never got finished though, so I can understand what you are going through when you never managed to finish the kit that you designed.

More often than not I won't even attempt to start things at all now as I doubt whether I will have the ability to finish it. In the past there was almost nothing that I wouldn't turn my hand to, it seems like that person died some time ago. The best of it is that I spent a small fortune buying eproms, pics, opto isolating triacs and many other components plus programmers and UV light exposure equipment etc to be able to enjoy my hobby in my free time. Here I am now with all the time to do things but neither the mental or physical ability to complete a task that would have previously been more or less routine.

On the plus side, after Statin therapy, I find that a new hobby like watching paint dry just about matches our abilities on those really bad days! ;)

All the best,
Allen1

Postby David Staup » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:22 am

Allen,

I like that "watching the paint dry"

who does your painting :lol:

at least you've kept your sense of humor :wink:

on a serious note I've found that I can set simple goals and occomplish them if I do a little bit at a time ...I'm still working on some landscaping/ home improvement projects started over a year ago....helps to have goals you CAN finish if you can live with seeing half done things all around you...

all the best

David
David Staup

Postby Brian C. » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:50 pm

My hobby is watching computer scans.
If I really want a good time I watch the disk defragmenter at work.

;o)

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Allen1 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:53 pm

Hi there David,

99% of the time I just imagine that the paint is wet :) :) :)

My main challenge these days is to do the necessary shopping and the likes, as for gardening, weed killer is my best friend these days (I never was one for gardening though). Lets just hope that this madness that is caused by Statins comes to an end and soon, before the whole world turns into paint watchers and the did I do that or did I not's :shock:

All the best,
Allen1

Postby Allen1 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:58 pm

Hi there Brian,

the disk defragmenter is too complicated for me as the blocks keep changing colour and I loose my place and have to start counting again :roll:

Mind you it is prettier than watching matt magnolia drying!
Allen1

Postby Brian C. » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:17 am

You COUNT? :shock:

Respect! 8)

Glad I can still spell :wink:

:D

Brian
Brian C.

Postby Allen1 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:25 am

Aha but my spelling is getting better, A for apple, B for boy C for Chihuahua, d for dog, E for dog, F for er umm aha dog :D

How did it go with the Far Infra Red Sauna, have you noticed an improvement since using it? Knowing my luck if I got one, I would end up emitting infra red frequencies that would play havoc with the TV and other remote controlled devices :lol: I don't think that would do my single status any good either cause I doubt if that ability would make any girls REMOTELY interested heheheheee :lol: Oh dear, I think I forgot to take my medication again :wink:

I think we should really have a separate page for the not quite sane people like me on days like this :wink:

Respect! back at you 8)

All the best,
Allen1

Postby Brian C. » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:27 am

I haven't saunaed/saunad/sauna'd/? since our shower unit started leaking just before Christmas. I believe it important to wash the toxins carried to the surface of the skin immediately down the plug 'ole. I haven't noticed any improvement/deterioration but will persist indefinitely once the shower is repaired because I believe it is the only gentle way to eliminate drug and other residues from tissue and bone.

I'm missing listening to my jazz CDs in there, a therapeutic start to the day.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Allen1 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:21 am

Blimey,

I would be stuck without the shower, I have a heck of a job getting out of the bath hence it is about a year since my last one, even taking a shower can be exhausting some days, at 53 years old you do not expect to be physically limited in this sort of way. I would think that the Sauna would be good for warming all the muscles and joints which would also make movement easier and less painful. It truly is unbelievable that so many doctors still do not know or maybe do not want to know what we are going through since the wonder therapy they put us on, thank goodness for the perseverance of folk like Jeff Cable and many of the members of sites like this spreading the word.

Well that's my brain frazzled for now, I still get surprised at how easily I get tired using it!

All the best,
Allen1

Doctors eventually figure it out

Postby Wings42 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:46 pm

I had peripheral neuropathy (PN) starting in 1996. Three GP's checked that my feet were nice and pink, pronounced me healthy but neurotic, and suggested psychotherapy. I finally got a GP to refer me to a neurologist, who, after a 10 minute exam gave it a name, told me there was nothing he could do to help, it would progress up my legs until it closed down my necessary bowel functions and would thus be fatal. And, to see him in 6 months, which didn't happen.

I have residual PN in my feet, but spent years hiking, biking, and walking until this statin initiated muscle atrophy started last December.

Almost all doctors know about PN now. I think that in a few years, it will be general physician knowledge how common statin associated serious disability and damage is. I've already given my cardiologist plenty of documentation that these problems are [b][i]common[/i][/b] side effects of statins, and will do the same with my GP tomorrow.

David
San Diego
Wings42

Postby vicki » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:27 am

David in San Diego worte: I had peripheral neuropathy (PN) starting in 1996. Three GP's checked that my feet were nice and pink, pronounced me healthy but neurotic, and suggested psychotherapy. I finally got a GP to refer me to a neurologist, who, after a 10 minute exam gave it a name, told me there was nothing he could do to help, it would progress up my legs until it closed down my necessary bowel functions and would thus be fatal. And, to see him in 6 months, which didn't happen.

Since my PN has moved up from my feet to my knees, I sure hope this doesn't really happpen...... close down my necessary bowel functions and would be fatal. Slowly the PN moves up my legs and up my arms.

Thank you Statins and the drug co.'s that made them or and the doctors that don't believe us. Oh and thanks for the cancer!
vicki

Postby vicki » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:48 pm

Most of us became low in Vitamin D:

here's a good article: http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Vitamin-D.html
vicki

A list of symptoms

Postby BDavis » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:28 pm

Allen and David S.
First thank you David for the posting of the list. It's difficult sometimes to explain the symptoms until I put a known label i.e ALS, Parkinson's or Alzheimer. When you review the list so many of the symptoms are overlapping. I thinks that's why we need a name for our constantly changing condition.
Allen, I too thought I was getting better then only to feel like I'm back on the Statins. I tried to explain that to my doctor but it feel on deaf ears.
I take my supplements faithfully and increase when I see the need but it doesn't seem to stop anything. I can see a continual deterioration and added symptoms. I've been off Statins almost 4 years. I'm 53 and can no longer work. My husband is very understanding and works hard enough for both of us but it hurts not being able to carry my load. He's 14 yrs older(67) and will not be able to retire any time soon because I can't work.
The whole thing sucks. I'm glad to see though you guys have your sense of humor (hobby-watching wet paint dry).
Do you know if anyone is working on a "cure" for us? Is there any permanent course that will regain what we lost?
BeLinda
BDavis

Postby David Staup » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:39 pm

Belinda

two future potential "cures" involve gene therapy or stem cell therapy. most of the research is on inherited mito disorders in children but I suspect any such therapy would work for "us" also
David Staup

cures

Postby BDavis » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:59 pm

Thanks David,
We can only pray!
BDavis

Next

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs