Natural Statins

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Natural Statins

Postby BSGfan » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:14 pm

My statin injury, a Lopid-Mevacor-Niacin interaction that gave me nerve and muscle damage in my cheeks and jaw, becomes more uncomfortable if I consume such things as cinnamon or garlic, which are so-called natural statins. This aggravation can last for weeks, depending upon the substance consumed and the amount. Clearly, I do my best to strictly avoid these spices, but as anyone who has ever checked the ingredient list on prepared foods, such things as garlic and cinnamon are everywhere, and often the ingredient lists are not as comprehensive as they might be, i.e. the ever popular "artificial and natural flavors."

My food intolerances have been a trial-and-error affair. I recently had a craving for artichokes, then fortunately came across a Wikipedia article that stated artichokes were a natural statin. Into the trash they went.

Can anyone direct me to a list of foodstuffs that are natural HMG-COA reductase inhibitors, i.e. natural statins?
BSGfan

Do NOT lower your cholesterol!

Postby xrn » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:34 am

Cholesterol is an essential substance for your body and it is vital for your very existence. You have 25% of your total body cholesterol in your brain. Do not lower your cholesterol because it will mean that you will die earlier than people with high cholesterol. You really need to eat a high fat, low carbohydrate diet and then you will live a long and happy life. Stop worrying about your cholesterol levels.

Jeff (aka xrn)
xrn

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs