peripheral neuropathy from simvastatin

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

peripheral neuropathy from simvastatin

Postby Aarky » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:53 pm

When my doctor prescribed Zocor for what he claimed to be atheroslerosis, my first symptoms were for gout, since I had stabbing needle like pains in the big toe joint. It progressed over a couple months to stabbing pains in other areas of the feet and then burning pains also. I also had the pains inthe hamstring muscles but not serious. In one of the liver check-ups I mentioned the foot pain to a nurse and she recommended taking CQ-10.I started taking 100 mgm morning and night with my meals and it stopped all that pain. I called the doctors office and unloaded on them. The doctor was ready to take me off the 40 mgm a day of Zocor. I suggested that we cut the dose in half to 20 mgm per day and I would continue to take the same amount of CQ-10. It has worked very well. I stopped taking the CQ-10 for about one month to verify that it was a shortage of CQ-10 that was causing the problem and the pains returned in my feet and I started getting pains in my finger joints. It then took about one month before all the pains went away after restarting the CQ-10.
Aarky

Postby Allen1 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:14 am

Hi there Aarky,

how have you gotten on since you posted this, you sounded like you were at the start of some serious problems when you posted this. I think everyone was expecting a follow up hence the lack of replies till now.

Even with the Q10 supplement there could still be damage going on that is at present unnoticeable, you may wish to see your doctor again and take his advice about stopping the Zocor and any other Statins that may be offered.

I hate Benecol and any other form of cholesterol reducing meal or drink but if you have a real problem the opt for those rather than a Statin, I must point out though that I was on statins for years and ended up needing a triple bypass, so do Statins stop atherosclerosis, well at 2 x 80% and 1 x 50% blockages I would have to say NO. I also know that the side effects from Statins do not always go away, so please take care, you know that taking Statins affect you as it is.

All the best,
Allen.
Allen1

Postby Aarky » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:20 pm

To Allen from England: I'm alive and well and thanks for the inquiry. Your question about the CQ-10 as an effective treatment for statin caused neuropathy: I have now cut back to a maintanance dose of one soft jel capsule of 100 mgm a day and only have a small pinprick sensation in my feet once a week to remind me to continue taking the CQ-10. At the risk they raise their prices, I have bought from the Puritan vitamin people. The buy two, get three bottles free with the same count and strengh is a great buy. It averages out to 8 cents a pill. It still isn't as cheap as the medicine prescribed by my doctor for low blood pressure; ordinary table salt, but it has made a great difference.
Stay Healthy, Aarky
Aarky

Postby Allen1 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:16 pm

Hi there Aarky,

good to see you are looking after yourself. The deal you got with puritan sounds fantastic, the problem with being in the UK is the import duty that would go on top of great deals like that, that is the real killer for importing at this present time ie we have an £18.00 import limit and anything above that gets extra costs added. Fortunately there are sometimes bargains to be had over here now and then but it is an expensive business being ill :)

If you are still taking statins, you really do need to look out for changes and as I previously mentioned maybe look into alternatives if you feel that you need the cholesterol reduction. The pin prick sensations in your feet are something called Peripheral Neuropathy, it would be wise to look into it as it is something you do not really want to have. This is not meant to worry you but to just make you aware of the possible outcomes that many people in our position found to be an unfortunate every day reality.

All the best,
Allen
Allen1

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs