Statin sufferers and swine flu vaccine

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Statin sufferers and swine flu vaccine

Postby LindaJ » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:44 pm

There’s a lot of pressure from all quarters to get the H1N1 swine flu shot, and I think the pressure may increase significantly as we get into October. However, I personally will not get it. For one thing, I’ve never in my life taken a flu shot (I’m 52) and I’ve never had the flu. I’m not about to change what has seemingly worked for me so far. But another, more important reason for me to not take this shot is that I’m extremely leery of its possible side effects. I quit simvastatin 5 months ago, and still have great pain and difficulty with stairs and walking. I also suffered terrible nerve pain in my arms while on this wonder drug. Like many on this forum, my cardiologist was skeptical when I told him these side effects were related to the statin. I quit them on my own anyway. Now I’d hate to take a chance on getting this flu shot, and possibly suffering from its side effects, one of them Guillain Barre syndrome, on TOP of what I’m already going through.

I understand the importance of prevention, but I’ve already gone through this song and dance with the simvastatin. My total cholesterol was 201 when I was prescribed it, with a slightly above-normal LDL and excellent HDL. My total cholesterol dropped down to 113 after 2 years on simvastatin, but I felt like death warmed over every single day. So much for prevention.

I’ll take my chances with the high cholesterol, and I’ll take my chances with this swine flu. But what say you? Can people be compelled in some way to take this shot, if it’s determined there’s a “pandemic”? And what can we do about it?
LindaJ

Postby David Staup » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:52 pm

LindaJ.

I, like you will not be getting a flu shot...

As for taking chances with your cholesterol read this:
http://www.spacedoc.net/kilmer_mccully_cholesterol_2

my suggestion for avoiding the flue is to stay away from doctors offices and hospitals....shop during off hours.etc.

If your doctors refuse to consider the proven side effects of statins get new doctors and go in armed with info from this site and others like it...

David
David Staup

Postby LindaJ » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:13 pm

David,

Thanks for the link. This website has been a great source of advice and comfort on my road to recovery. I’ve found new doctors and I’m slowly recovering. And I won’t be getting that flu shot!
LindaJ

Postby Biologist » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:24 pm

No H1N1 swine flu shots for me.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Cat Mom2 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:32 pm

I won't be taking that shot either. I am not one to catch everything going around either and I am still working on my statin drug recovery, no sense in taking anymore chances.
Cat Mom2

Postby schatzi » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:02 am

Will take all the precautions I can, no flu shot for me.
schatzi

Postby Brian C. » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:05 am

The ONLY way to beat a virus is to keep body temperature elevated.
Keep hot, stay in bed, drink plenty of liquids, keep taking the supplements....and, most essential this, avoid all contact with doctors!

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby LindaJ » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:27 am

I won't have any trouble following the advice of staying away from hospitals and doctors!! It was doctors, in their zeal to lower my already normal cholesterol, that got me in the mess I'm in. I trusted the cardiologist's recommendation and reassurance that Zocor was time-tested and effective, and would be a good preventive...

When my symptoms first began, I was alternatively diagnosed with heart attack, GERD, spinal stenosis, pinched nerve, cervical spondylosis, arthritis. It was none of those things. After many tests, I was told by my neurologist that I might have to live with the pain. It was finally a rheumatologist (the fifth or sixth "second opinion") that suggested that the statins I was taking might be causing the pain. I also experienced nerve pain and memory problems.

Three years later, the doctors who at least concede that the statins have something to do with my condition have no answers or solutions other than more drugs. The cardiologist, of course, says it’s not the statins. Thank goodness for sites like these, where one can get REAL support.

Now, I surely don't want go through the same thing with a new vaccine that can cause who-knows-what side effects. Just what I’d need... getting sick from the vaccine, and being told by the doctor that "naw, can’t be the vaccine, vaccine’s safe as houses... it must be the statins you took!"
LindaJ

Postby David Staup » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:48 am

Nancy,

and being told by the doctor that "naw, can’t be the vaccine, vaccine’s safe as houses... it must be the statins you took!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

absolutely a great line...and oh so likely to happen!

David
David Staup

Postby LindaJ » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:48 pm

absolutely a great line...and oh so likely to happen

David,

Crazy, isn't it? But, sadly, that’s probably the very explanation I’d get! I’ve been blessed so far with not ever getting the flu, so I think I’ll leave well enough alone. I’ll take all the precautions suggested, esp. the part about avoiding the docs :)

LindaJ
LindaJ

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs