Communal Information

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Communal Information

Postby eers » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:09 pm

There are so many people here with so much experience, knowledge, wisdom and compassion. As a newbie, it's taking me so much time and all my restraint to not ask questions that I know have been asked before.

Could I propose that we somehow create one "community document" that somehow would be the sum of our knowledge that would be constantly updated and everyone would have access to? This would be very similar to wikipedia.com in that sense.

I would ideally like to do this on this site if it was somehow possible but there are alternatives (Google Docs for ex.). There are two particular documents I think that would be very useful for newcomers:

-Doctors Who Get It - Everyone of us has struggled with finding the right doctors. By the time we've found this site it's not as desperate, but in many ways you could argue it's even more necessary. Could we put together one comprehensive list of doctors by City/State that we personally know and trust?

-FAQ- This really builds on Dr. Graveline's information and articles. But one thing we could augment is for ex., the latest updates on supplements, what the best brands (or a list of brands) that are particularly good, where we could purchase them and so on. We could also summarize latest research developments, studies that are going on (like UCSD) and other valuable information.

Depending on what's needed I'd be happy to take this on and get the ball rolling (especially Google Docs) and I could explain this in further detail. I just want to thank you all for your contributions, would love to hear your ideas on this, and somehow give back in a small way.

Let me know what you all might thank and Thank you all.
eers

Postby David Staup » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:56 pm

eers,

we have a "doctors who get it" thread and it is pretty threadbare :shock:
There are very few who will admit any of this "on the record" and most seemingly do what they can to hide the truth by methods to numerous to mention. outside the US maybe different and I'm looking into utilizing doctors who understand mitochondrial deseases as a possable resource but even they seem to be few and far between... :cry:

FAQ...work on this is being planned but the info is extensive and the cognative and memory issues most of us experience make it difficult not to mention the pain from sitting at the computer for long periods ie, >15 minutes.

For the time being ask for directions, links, experiences etc. etc. here and someone will answer as best they can...

check my profile and email me direct and I will send what I have and discuss how you may be able to help with ongoing projects that fit your ideas.... which are very perceptive...for a newbe :)

David
David Staup

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:01 pm

eers: Some of us are working behind the scenes to organize this type of effort, and time will provide some of the answers you seek. It would be easy to set a 'supplements' segment, but the supplements that help one person may have had little effect on others. There are professionals in Europe who are defining a formulation to fit and help most statinized victims. It is not quite complete or publishable, but it is in the offing. In the meantime, I would suggest you use the FAQ segment of this site and the 'search' function to help get answers to your questions. I can provide the name of one doctor: Peter Langsjoen - Tyler, Texas. You can google the name for further information. You can Google the THINCS link where other believers are listed as members.

I know how daunting this morass of information can be, and you are NOT the first who wanted to get something tailored and definitive started on this site; some sort of printable 'boiler plate', but it too variable a subject and fraught with too many side roads to work in this format. Once you begin a thread with that purpose in mind it gets compromised (without harmful intent) by divergent dialog and rhetoric entries. It just doesn't work. People keep wandering off the playing field. Keep thinking though. You may be the ONE person who can find a solution.

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby eers » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:41 pm

Thank you both for your feedback. I'll post my questions elsewhere, in the meantime if anyone can knows of a Cardiologist they could recommend in the Atlanta, Ga area please let me know.

Also - if I could help out in anyway in the future, please let me know.

Thanks again.
eers

Postby David Staup » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:59 pm

eers,

I know nothing about cardiologists in the atlanta area but have been investigating chelation therapy see below:
"http://www.spacedoc.net/chelation_heart_disease.htm

and have a list of doctors in the us who perform the therapy and the following lists cardio vascular desease as a specialty... you might call thier office and see if they recommend a cardiologist.....if I were still seeing a doctor I would choose an MD or a DO who performs chelation period!!!

"http://www.acamnet.org/site/apps/kb/cs/contactdisplay.asp?c=ltJWJ4MPIwE&b=2611447&sid=cqLRI4NFKkIOKPPAIsH&r=1

David
David Staup

Postby David Staup » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:31 pm

A brief statin FAQ

*http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/chris/2005/03/28/frequently_asked_questions_about_statins.htm

a little outdated but has the fundamentals and it's by Dr. Graveline

David
David Staup

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:52 pm

eers: You were looking for a physician recommendation. I stumbled across this site tonight and thought it might be of use to you.

**http://www.functionalmedicine.org/findfmphysician/index.asp

These Dr's, as I understand the concept, treat the patient; not the symptom or the numbers, and are resistant to the pill-popping method of 'feeling better'.

I've absolutely no experience with them, but the site sounds encouraging.

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby uncle2blade » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:56 am

The Doctor I'm seeing and have been seeing since March of this year practices functional medicine. I have had more recovery in the last 5 months than I had in two years. I don't know if I can attribute it all to the new Dr. time might have played a part in it. I have been very satisfied with the functional medicine approach though. Best to all, Craig
uncle2blade

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs