Inflammation - the REAL CVD culpret

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Inflammation - the REAL CVD culpret

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:37 pm

This link addresses the dangers of inflammation vs. high TC.

A Blood Test That Could Save Your Life: C-Reactive Protein
This simple blood test checks for the inflammatory markers which can indicate heart disease risk.

By Kevin Passero, ND
Naturopathic Physician

There are two very important blood tests that all people over the age of 35 should have done regularly. You would think that after years of research has demonstrated their importance, all doctors would routinely run these tests. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Very few doctors make it standard practice to order these tests despite extensive research supporting their importance.

Read the rest here:

*http://www.stopagingnow.com/news/news_flashes/6029/A-Blood-Test-That-Could-Save-Your-Life-C-Reactive-Protein

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Biologist » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Super URL, Brooks.

Just now getting a chance to read it.

My only complaint is his insistent kissing up to Pharma regarding "high cholesterol." The facts in his article do not support the following statement at all (which is just a rehash of the previous version of the statement earlier in the article):

"...research has that inflammation plays
almost as an important of a role in the
development of heart disease as does
high cholesterol."

What does he think he is talking about?!

"...almost as important..."?

His only defense would be to say:

"Yes, I was talking about "high cholesterol," you know, something over about 700 mg/L."

Aside from that, I thought it was good. I will likely send it to a few doctors -- along with my observations, of course.

Thanks for finding it. Very recent too.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:05 am

B: I know. The elevation of cholesterol #'s to prime target status made me a little edgy too, but the rest of his observations were worthwhile.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby David Staup » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:44 am

the following excerpt from the preface to "elements of chemistry" by Antoine Lavoisier was written in 1787 but obviously is true even today..

Thought you guys might appreciate the middle paragraph especially.

When we begin the study of any science, we are in a situation, respecting that science, similar to that of children; and the course by which we have to advance is precisely the same which Nature follows in the formation of their ideas. In a child, the idea is merely an effect produced by a sensation; and, in the same manner, in commencing the study of a physical science, we ought to form no idea but what is a necessary consequence, and immediate effect, of an experiment or observation.[4] Besides, he that enters upon the career of science, is in a less advantageous situation than a child who is acquiring his first ideas. To the child, Nature gives various means of rectifying any mistakes he may commit respecting the salutary or hurtful qualities of the objects which surround him. On every occasion his judgments are corrected by experience; want and pain are the necessary consequences arising from false judgment; gratification and pleasure are produced by judging aright. Under such masters, we cannot fail to become well informed; and we soon learn to reason justly, when want and pain are the necessary consequences of a contrary conduct.[5]

In the study and practice of the sciences it is quite different; the false judgments we form neither affect our existence nor our welfare; and we are not forced by any physical necessity to correct them. Imagination, on the contrary, which is ever wandering beyond the bounds of truth, joined to self-love and that self-confidence we are so apt to indulge, prompt us to draw conclusions which are not immediately derived from facts; so that we become in some measure interested in deceiving ourselves. Hence it is by no means to be wondered, that, in the science of physics in general, men have often made suppositions, instead of forming conclusions. These suppositions, handed down from one age to another, acquire additional weight from the authorities by which they are supported, till at last they are received, even by men of genius, as fundamental truths.

The only method of preventing such errors from taking place, and of correcting them when formed, is to restrain and simplify our reasoning as much as possible. This depends entirely upon ourselves, and the neglect of it is the only source of our mistakes. We must trust to nothing but facts: These are presented to us by Nature, and cannot deceive. We ought, in every instance, to submit our reasoning to the test of experiment, and never to search for truth but by the natural road of experiment and observation. Thus mathematicians obtain the solution of a problem by the mere arrangement of data, and by reducing their reasoning to such simple steps, to conclusions so very obvious, as never to lose sight of the evidence which guides them.[6]

David
David Staup

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:26 pm

David: What was true in the beginning is still true.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby David Staup » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:40 pm

of course you're right, John...human nature is human nature and history repeats itself over and over again because this is so..

Lavoisier cited self deception and hubris but forgot greed and peer pressure but still the full text of this preface is one fine piece of writing :wink: He is reguarded as the father of modern chemistry and in my opinion should also be considered the father of modern teaching.

David
David Staup

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs