The Dangers of Statin Drugs

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

The Dangers of Statin Drugs

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:23 pm

This is s good write-up of the anti-statin side of this controversy, and it's fairly easy to comprehend. (hope I haven't posted this before)

**http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/statin.html

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Biologist » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:45 am

Hi, Brooks.

If you had posted it before, it was good to see it again. I read it again carefully. It's good. I also emailed parts of it to my father last night. He is showing some signs of heart failure at 81 and there is a discussion of putting him back on a statin (after I "took him off" months ago). Neither of my parents ever had ANY reason to be on a statin -- none at all. I have got him and my mother on Dr. Sinatra's treatment per his book "The Sinatra Solution" (2005). I had ordered the book for them at the same time (from Amazon) as a load of supplements (i.e., magnesium, L-carnitine & D-Ribose) from Iherb. I got the CoQ10 from Epic (these bottles right here *http://www.epic4health.com/qusoubcohkaq2.html ) which is a type you originally recommended from Dr. L. I believe. (I cannot spell his name right without looking it up.) So thanks for the posting. Good timing too.

As he predicts in the book, the doctors all said this treatment is unproven and controversial. Nonsense. It is like he said: They just have not read any of the reams of research found on PubMed, among others. So I see a battle coming with the statins again. In the mean time, I learned that my youngest brother, a paramedic on the rescue squad and an emergency room nurse, is now on Lipitor! Never ends.

Reviewing my copy of that book, it is great, but way too technical for my parents. Both are college educated, but it's still too heavy duty for many people it appears. Just thought I should throw that comment in for others' consideration. I liked it a lot.

How is the biopsy coming?

Biologist
Biologist

Postby cjbrooksjc » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:48 pm

B: Glad you found the link useful. The biopsy still hurts (burns) like the dickens when I move too radically or too fast, but it is healing.
Brian recommended an EM pulser which I bought, used, and find recuperative.
Result still on the horizon; I'll post them when they are available.

Hope your Dad improves.

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Ray Holder » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:03 am

Hi Biologist
I had signs of heart failure when I was about 80, due to statins and also carnitine deficiency due to earlier polio. I had kept this at bay using sufficient Q10 and L carnitine. I had varied the amounts mainly by watching my blood pressure, I only took a nitrate tablet in addition as my adrenaline would drive it up when I got concentrating on something like an interesting TV programme , or was on the phone.

This worked well until I had a bad batch of L carnitine a year ago, when signs of heart failure, (at night) showed up as pink flecks in my spit, unfortunately tipping me over the edge, as the heart weakness overnight (carnitine deficiency) was causing a little odema to collect in my lungs. This culminated in inability to get my breath early one morning, and I had to call an ambulance. The cure was almost as bad as the disease, diuretics, which have had some bad side effects, and restricted my life badly ever since.

I would recommend your Dad takes adequate quantities of Q10 ( I now take QH, ubiquinol, (not the water soluble variety), 5x100 mg daily, and now need 16 grams of L carnitine as well, but I believe my carnitine need is largely due to previous polio. Some people had a non paralytic light form of polio infection, which also seems to cause carnitine deficiency later in life,

Some BP meds can cause carnitine transporter inhibition, as in a link recently showed in research at Maryland, diltiazem being a fairly well used BP and heart drug, which also increases the problem from statins.

Unfortunately there is no simple way of testing the levels of Q10 and carnitine. It would be good if something like the blood prick used by diabetics were available, but that seems to be a long way off. Experiment, before things get too far advanced, seems to be the only way. Carnitine can be increased gradually until bowels object, a way to get to the maximum useful amount, and watching what controls BP adequately for Q10.

I get outdoors rarely, and have added Vit D3 to my supplements

Diuretics are the main weapon of thje doctors, but I would suggest getting his energy resources up to scratch before further drug use, and especially NO STATINS.

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:23 am

Biologist: I actually get a 200 MG cap (Tishcon) called Active-Q Ubiquinol that was recommended to me by Dr. Langsjoen a few yrs ago. There are 30 caps in a bottle and I get them 4 at a time ($120). You can do the math - 18,000mg @ $134.95 vs. 24,000mg @ $130.00. You realize a better economy with the 200Mg version.

BTW - there is a "What is Q-10?" write-up by Langsjoen on the Tishcon site:

**http://tishcon.com/coenzymeq10.html

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Biologist » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:39 am

Thanks, Ray.

You too, Brooks.

Biologist
Biologist

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs