Desperate to help family

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Desperate to help family

Postby saved from statins » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:53 pm

One yr ago my husband lost his mind (TGA) last year while we were on vacation; I left him in the ER, went to the computer in the hotel lobby, and typed in TGA. Immediately spacedoc.net popped up, and I have been on my own journey of discovery ever since. Actually, I was already pre-booked for this journey by receiving the previous February a copy of the Smart Money magazine article about a man who suffered severe cognitive dysfunction after taking statins. Against medical advice on all fronts, my husband stopped taking statins, and has done fairly well. His peripheral neuropathy has improved, but he still suffers pain/weakness/unsteadiness. However, a recent checkup showed his vLDL is too high, and his HDL is too low. I have him on fish oil/CoQ10/Vit C, but I am still in the learning mode as to what and how much to take. I ordered and have just finished Dr Graveline's new book, THE STATIN DAMAGE CRISIS, and it is STUPENDOUS. I would like to help my two brothers (one who is 60, had an MI and triple by-pass at age 56, the other is 50 and high-risk). I feel all alone and that sometimes I am regarded as a kook/fanatic when I talk about statin side effects. I feel I cannot dictate to them what to do, but getting them to read is very difficult. The brother who had the bypass suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon last Fall, and went off his statin; now I find he is taking red yeast rice supplement; when I tell him it's just another statin, he says his cardiologist insists he be on some sort of statin. My younger brother (age 50) was just prescribed Crestor and told by his cardiologist he will die without it (this same stupid doctor refused to check his CRP/vit D/homocysteine, and I'm not sure he even did a thorough HDL/LDL profile (VAP)); this stooge did not even prescribe CoQ10 with Crestor--therefore, as far as I'm concerned, he has no credibility.My brothers are too intimidated to speak up to their doctors, like the patient who spoke to Dr Roberts about supplements
in the REVERSE HEART DISEASE NOW by Sinatra and Roberts (pg 94).
I have read more than half a dozen books, trying to put the pieces together, but many people just don't have the time or inclination to read. I feel they will never understand what's at stake until they do. In the meantime, I just pray and keep preaching about what I know to be true.
saved from statins

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:02 pm

SFS: Resistance to and dismissal of this advice is amazing. I treat it (enlightenment) like a hotel lobby pamphlet: I put it out there, and if there is any interest someone will look into it. YOU CAN'T MAKE THEM DRINK !

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby David Staup » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:57 pm

Saved,

the problem you describe has been noted as part of human nature for some time.... the following was written hundreds of years ago.
It's a bit of a hard read but says it all. I actually had my current doctor read it and it helped me finally get through to him.

“THERE is, indeed, a more mitigated scepticism or academical philosophy, which may be both durable and useful, and which may, in part, be the result of this Pyrrhonism, or excessive scepticism, when its undistinguished doubts are, in some measure, corrected by common sense and reflection.
The greater part of mankind are naturally apt to be affirmative and dogmatical in their opinions; and while they see objects only on one side, and have no idea of any counter-poising argument, they throw themselves precipitately into the principles, to which they are inclined; nor have they any indulgence for those who entertain opposite sentiments. To hesitate or balance perplexes their understanding, checks their passion, and suspends their action. They are, therefore, impatient till they escape from a state, which to them is so uneasy: and they think, that they could never remove themselves far enough from it, by the violence of their affirmations and obstinacy of their belief. But could such dogmatical reasoners become sensible of the strange infirmities of human understanding, even in its most perfect state, and when most accurate and cautious in its determinations; such a reflection would naturally inspire them with more modesty and reserve, and diminish their fond opinion of themselves, and their prejudice against antagonists. The illiterate may reflect on the disposition of the learned, who, amidst all the advantages of study and reflection, are commonly still diffident in their determinations: and if any of the learned be inclined, from their natural temper, to haughtiness and obstinacy, a small tincture of Pyrrhonism might abate their pride, by showing them, that the few advantages, which they have attained over their fellows, are but inconsiderable, if compared with the universal perplexity and confusion, which is inherent in human nature. In general, there is a degree of doubt, and caution, and modesty, which, in all kinds of scrutiny and decision, ought for ever to accompany a just reasoner.â€Â
David Staup

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs