Lowering Cholesterol without Statins

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Lowering Cholesterol without Statins

Postby schatzi » Mon May 25, 2009 9:38 pm

Since having had incredible issues while taking statins, I decided to get off statins totally on 24 Mar 2009.

I have taken Promise Supershots twice daily, at breakfast and dinner, since 24 Feb 2009; of course I eat healthy but still fairly normal.

Here are the Lipid Values from the past two blood tests:

17 Feb 2009:

LDL 141
HDL 41
Triglycerides 105
Total Cholesterol not recorded

12 May 2009:

LDL 81
HDL 45
Trilycerides107
Total Cholesterol 147

Each serving of Promise Supershots contain 2g of Plant Sterols, it is obvious to me that it really works without the side effects so many of us suffer or the permanent damage that can happen from the use of statins.
schatzi

Postby David Staup » Tue May 26, 2009 3:10 pm

You really should look at the video on this page....

http://www.spacedoc.net/great_cholesterol_con

David
David Staup

Postby Brian C. » Wed May 27, 2009 2:36 am

Also read this response from retired heart surgeon Dr Dwight Lundell to the JUPITER study:

*http://thecholesterollie.com/aff/jupiter.pdf

The cholesterol hypothesis for heart disease has long been falsified but business is too good to to let facts get in the way.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby schatzi » Wed May 27, 2009 9:41 am

Brian, David,
Appreciate the links you posted, very informative.

My post: Lowering Cholesterol without Statins was geared at people who really need to lower their cholesterol due to serious heart issues, although I most likely did not make that completely clear.

CHOLESTEROL CAN BE LOWERED WITHOUT STATIN USE.

Personally, I have experienced the gamut of side effects from statin use over the the many years I was prescribed statins, that most people posting here have. Some side effects have disappeared after stopping statins and some have reduced in severity.

I also want to give the scenario I went through recently:

On 05 Nov 2008 the Cardiologist stopped Crestor 5mg due to the incredible pain I was in; my LDL was 91 at the time. The pain level and side effects were greatly reduced. On my next Lipid Clinic visit on 24 Feb 2009 my LDL was 141; consequently the Lipid Clinic Dr. insisted I take Crestor again. We compromised on 2.5mg plus Promise Supershots (Plant Sterols)available in the Dairy Dept. twice daily. Immediately, the statin side effects returned with a vengeance. On 24 Mar2009 I took myself off Crestor and only continued the Promise Supershots. I felt much better within a few days, however, slowly the pain in ankles, wrist and knees returned. Two days ago I find out that the latest Lab results show the LDL is down to 81. CRP and CPK are fine.

Obviously the Promise Supershots work to lower LDL, but is this also the reason for the higher pain level?

BTW, my Cardiologist explained that Cholesterol is not a one size fits all issue. In my personal case he does not have an issue with my LDL being 141, considered to be slightly elevated, and does not want me to take statins anymore. Both a previous Heart Catheterization and a Carotid Artery Study showed no signs of plaque whatsoever.

The predominant issues I have now are the pain, Sleep Apnea, GERD, Hypoglycemia and Atrial Fibrillation. All or most due to long term statin use I believe.

I have read much about CO Q 10 and L-carnitine on this forum. The CoQ10 lowers glucose; therefore I only take 50mg with my multi vitamins. (My hypoglycemia issues are extreme) I really don’t know much about L-carnitine, understand it helps with pain? But how does it affect Hypoglycemia and some of the other issues I have?

I appreciate any information.
schatzi

Postby Allen1 » Wed May 27, 2009 10:42 am

Hi there schatzi,

a lot of the symptoms for hypoglycaemia are mimicked with statin use and can cause a lot of confusion to us all including many doctors when they try to find a cause for our ailments, these can be seen in the link below.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoglycemia

It is good to see that you have found a way to reduce your cholesterol without the intervention of statins, as you point out that is good information for those who really need to reduce their levels and wish to avoid being poisoned by statins. One of our lady members also swears by Promise Supershots and your post backs this up quite strongly.

All of us are different and require varying quantities of nutrients/chemicals for our body to function properly and I am pleased you mentioned that your cardiologist realises that one size for all is not a sensible suggestion.

I think Brian and David were just shocked to see someone who has been on the receiving end of statin damage, would even contemplate messing around with cholesterol levels knowing of the health implications that can and probably will occur.

On the other hand I really do hope that anyone who has just been told to reduce their cholesterol levels, takes note of the "Promise Supershots" alternative that you point out, it may save a lot of people from the harm that statins cause. Personally however with the experience I have had and in fact still having with the cholesterol myth, I would tell any doctor what he can do with his prescription pad and statins. Alas that is way too late for many of us now.

You probably wont do any harm to yourself keeping your levels under check but you should also remember that our bodies are self regulating and should wherever possible be allowed to stay that way. :-)

All the best,
Allen.
Allen1

Postby schatzi » Wed May 27, 2009 10:54 am

Allen1

Thank you so much for your kind words. Having dealt with these statin issues for so long, it makes one very cautious. The side effects are very debilitating.

I have cut myself back to just once a day on the Promise Supershots. Maybe I can find a happy medium and alleviate some of the pain.

This site has been a lot of help, I appreciate the information and support.

Thanks,

Schatzi
schatzi

Postby Allen1 » Wed May 27, 2009 11:43 am

Hi there schatzi,

the L-Carnitine does help with some of the problems, I would also increase your Q10 to at least 100mg just to keep things at bay, it should be more but everyone needs to find what works for them. You can offset any glucose lowering by consuming an energy bar or something along those lines. A lot of us here buy the powdered form bulk pack L-Carnitine as it works out cheaper, you can also get it in capsule form and I believe 500mg is the size, one or 2 a day will probably do but you could try more. These and Magnesium will help with the Atrial Fibrillation problem, firstly by improving the hearts strength and rhythm and in due time the heart will normalise although it may take well over a year since stopping the statins (nearly 2 for me), you will still get the odd blip now and then but nothing like it was before.

Sleep Apnoea and GERD are as you mention linked to statins and there are a few recent posts about them so I will let you read those as you find them.

Look for some posts by Ray Holder to get an insight into L-Carnitine and Q10, there is also a number of vitamins that also help B6, B12 and vit C etc. I hope you find all the bits and pieces and find the amounts/dose sizes that work best for yourself, we are all different and what is great for one doesn't always work for another.

All the best,
Allen :-)
Allen1

Postby adec » Wed May 27, 2009 2:26 pm

For raising HDL: vitamin D3 (gelcaps) and astaxanthin also magnesium

For lowering triglycerides: exercise and reduce intake of sweets and carbohydrates (especially refined,) increase quality source of Omega 3 oils (especially DHA)

For lowering LDL and oxidized cholesterol: astaxanthin and Sytrinol (citrus and palm fruit extract) also vitamin C and magnesium (I like magnesium orotate or magnesium aspartate)
adec

Postby BSGfan » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:47 pm

I guess certain food sensitivities can be a side effect of statin damage. Those supershot vogurt drinks give me a lot of foot pain, believe it or not. So does consuming tomato paste, although eating a slice or two of tomato does not seem to bother me.
BSGfan

Nightshades

Postby gone2beach » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:23 pm

You may find you have a reaction to nightshade veggies, in general. Potatoes, peppers (all but BLACK), eggplant and tomatoes are the major ones.

*http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=62
gone2beach

Postby BSGfan » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:02 pm

Thank you for that info. I have some nerve and muscle damage in my cheeks from a 2006 Lopid-Mevacor-Niacin interaction, as well as years of Zocor use. I have noted consuming certain foods does increase my facial discomfort, such as potatoes and certain cheeses (mildly) or paprika (moderately). A sensitivity to nightshade family foods and alkaloids would certainly help explain that.

Again, this forum has proven itself invaluable...my physicians appeared completely perplexed when informed of the food sensitivities I have developed in the past two years since the above mentioned statin injury.
BSGfan

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs