CoQ10 and Organ Damage

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Have you personally had side effects from taking CoQ10?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes : 8

CoQ10 and Organ Damage

Postby Don2009 » Mon May 18, 2009 12:42 pm

Hi All,

Can anybody refute the study that links CoQ10 to possible organ damage?

Here's the site where I found mention of this and also, an excerpt:

*http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-coenzymeq10.html

"Organ damage due to lack of oxygen/blood flow during intense exercise has been reported in a study of patients with heart disease, although the specific role of CoQ10 is not clear. Vigorous exercise is often discouraged in people using CoQ10 supplements."

I am taking CoQ10 daily and I don't want to stop taking it, but if this is true, it's not worth the risk. :(

Thanks.

Don
Don2009

Postby David Staup » Mon May 18, 2009 1:55 pm

vigorus exercise???
If you can do that why are you here and why are you taking coq10?
also I don't think any of us here are in a position to refute something that is not referenced other than to "A Study".
If you have heart desease and exercise vigorusly I'd talk this over with your doctor... maybe you shouldn't exercise vigorusly

David
David Staup

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon May 18, 2009 2:19 pm

Don: I had NOT heard or read this before. Many on this site rely heavily on the benefit of Q10 as a daily supplement, andI doubt if this bit of additional info will change their (or my) mind. Even the above NIH link referenced posts far more advantageous or potentially advantageous comments on Q10 than disadvantageous ones. I guess my response would be: I am unconvinced as to the dangers, and I remain sold on the efficacy of Q10. Thanks for the heads up though, we must be ever watchful.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Don2009 » Mon May 18, 2009 4:58 pm

David,

That response felt disrespectful to me (I thought this was a support site). And, I'm sorry if my question struck you as "wrong." It was an honest question that I'm sure others might want to consider. I posed the question because I am looking for reassurance that CoQ10 is indeed safe, as I hope it is.

I'm in no position to do any "vigorous exercise" at this moment in time due to the damage caused by the statins. Yet, I DO still want to know if there is any danger involved with CoQ10.

So to answer your question, David, I'm here because I'm looking for answers on how I can best recover from the damage statins have done to my body. And, I want to make very sure that anything I take in the future is safe. Is that a good enough reason for you?

Thanks.

Don
Don2009

Postby Don2009 » Mon May 18, 2009 5:07 pm

Brooks,
Yes, I agree that we must keep watch over what we take. I trusted the doctor when he said statins are "very safe drugs" and now, I don't take anything for granted. Overall, the NIH link was overwhelmingly positive about the use of CoQ10. It was just that one thing that jumped off the page at me that I want to investigate fully. Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it very much.
Don
Don2009

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon May 18, 2009 10:03 pm

Don: I was initially, and for the last two and one half years, taking from 600 to 900 Mg of Q10 with no apparent problems other that brightly colored urine. I have reduced my intake to around 400Mg daily but will likely continue that regimen based on my modest improvement over the first year or so. I also take a daily measure of Acetyl L-Carnitine, D-Ribose, Mannose, and Creatine Monohydrate powder among other supplements and will likely keep taking those as well. No one I have read on this forum (with the possible exception of Doc Graveline) feels they have THE formula for healing. I settled on mine over the first year based on research and results; I think you should do the same (as you are doing now).

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby uncle2blade » Tue May 19, 2009 10:20 am

Don2009
There is a blood test for COQ10.
Welcome to our forum. This sight saved me, I'm sure you can find help here. just keep on asking questions.
Find out what has helped us, learn to navigate the sight, read as much as you can. Put into practice the things that you find that are comfortable for you.
We all know after our experiences with statins how frightening taking anything is.
I personally would not be afraid to take COQ10, but these are decisions you will have to make after doing your own research.

Best to you, Craig
uncle2blade

Postby Don2009 » Tue May 19, 2009 10:55 am

Thanks, Brooks. I'm also taking 400mg of CoQ10 daily in addition to Acetyl L-Carnitine (500mg), Alpha Lipoic Acid (150mg), Omega 3 Fish Oil (3,000 mg), Vitamin D3, Magnesium, B-50 Complex, and B-12.

My most prevalent symptoms are peripheral neuropathy, brain fog, heavy-headed feeling, weakness, and lack of energy. I've been off the drug for only 3 1/2 months, and have never felt so badly in my life. I'm hopeful when I hear the success stories and hope to find some here. :)
Don2009

Postby Don2009 » Tue May 19, 2009 10:59 am

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your feedback and for the nice welcome to the forum. :)

I'm looking forward to learning more and sharing my experiences with others.

Best Wishes,
Don
Don2009

Postby cjbrooksjc » Tue May 19, 2009 1:01 pm

Don: Be careful of the B complexes - they often include large amounts of B3 (Niacin or niacinamide) and B3 can exacerbate the statin side effects. If you can find a B6, B12, Folic Acid combination, I would use that instead. I would stop taking the B complex if it contains B3. (my opinion)

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Ray Holder » Tue May 19, 2009 3:10 pm

Hi Don
That Medline page has been about for a long time, and really "damns Q10 with faint praise" Mainstream medicine and Big Pharma are so involved with the economics of drug sales that research into Q10 has been frowned upon and discouraged for many years. The Medline page says that more research into Q10 is needed, knowing that funds are unlikely to become available. There are unbiassed reports of work on Q10 out there if you look for them, but the "authoritive "medical journals don't carry them.

When you start taking Q10, you should be aware that diabetes or blood pressure drugs may have greater effects on your body than before. Q10 will probably improve both your sugar level and/or blood pressure by improving the basic cause of the problem , insulin production or heart pumping strength nearer normal, and improve by normalising trhings. The drug can only provide a reduction, and will go on reducing to too low a level. It is advisable to monitor your sugar or BP levels, and reduce the drug if necessary.

Carnitine is also reduced by statins, and much exercise will deplete the available quantity further. I found a good page on carnitine, it is found at *http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/carnitine/car_tekst.htm

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby Don2009 » Wed May 20, 2009 10:42 am

[quote="cjbrooksjc"]Don: Be careful of the B complexes - they often include large amounts of B3 (Niacin or niacinamide) and B3 can exacerbate the statin side effects. If you can find a B6, B12, Folic Acid combination, I would use that instead. I would stop taking the B complex if it contains B3. (my opinion)

Brooks[/quote]

Brooks,
Thanks for the caution on the B-Complex. Yes, mine does contain 50mg of Niacin and I didn't realize that amount was significant enough to exacerbate my symptoms. Perhaps, that is why I continue to get the neuropathy (tingling and numbness) in my hands and feet from time to time.

When I got the supplement at GNC, I told the clerk that I was looking for the B12/B6/Folic Acid combo and he recommended the B-50 along with the B-12 sublingual. He was just trying to be helpful, but in our case, less is more. Someone on another site recommended going to vitacost.com for quality supplements at low cost, so maybe I'll check there for a combination that works.
Take care,
Don
Don2009

Postby Don2009 » Wed May 20, 2009 11:02 am

Hi Ray,
Thanks for the additional info on CoQ10. I have not heard anything negative about it from those who use it, so that is encouraging. But, it is very frustrating to deal with the huge influence Big Pharma wields over the "authorities" and ultimately, our healthcare. I do try to take everything I read with a grain of salt, but cannot afford to trust without verifying anymore. I made that mistake when I listened to my doctor, who told me the statins are "very safe drugs."

Since I do have low to moderate blood pressure already, I'll need to monitor that closely while taking the CoQ10. I haven't noticed any problems with it so far. On a positive note, I have actually noticed an improvement in my gum tissue since taking the CoQ10. I no longer have soreness while flossing. When I stopped taking the CoQ10 for a few days, the soreness returned.

Based on the link you provided on L-Carnitine, it sounds like I'm on the right track with taking that as well. I think I'll keep at that for the time being.

Thanks again.

Don
Don2009

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs