What Works

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

What Works

Postby David Staup » Thu May 14, 2009 8:32 am

I have had to do too much physically for the past several weeks and have tried to compensate by increasing my suppliments but don't think the increase has helped....I've noticed deepening brain fog, forgetfullness, poorer sleep, more pain, etc.
questions:
1. has anyone found a connection between any of the suppliments and increased activity abilities

2. has anyone found a safe way to lessen the pain.. if only for a temporary break

3. has anyone found a way to achieve a balance..I find my abilities going up and down like a yoyo..ie can do, do to much, can't do.

4. has anyone found any way to improved sleep or seen any connection between sleep and cognative problems
David Staup

Postby Brian C. » Thu May 14, 2009 11:45 am

I've discovered I need 10+ grams of d-ribose daily to prevent angina other than that resulting from effort. Got scary for a while last December.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby harley2ride » Thu May 14, 2009 11:46 am

Doubling up on my NADH (instead of 5mg once daily, I go to twice), helps a little (little) bit. I have experimented with other stuff for years, and nothing seems to make much difference.

Only thing that keeps pain at bay, is to not over do it... If you want to play, you have to pay.. :)

I have had to put up with the yoyo feelings for the past 5yrs. Changes in weather, barometric pressure, what I eat, how tired I am, everything seems to have some effect.. I can never find any rhyme or reason for feeling good one day, and not the next.. I can go weeks without muscle spasms, and then all of a sudden I will have them constantly, all day long. Same with pain, brain fog....

As for sleep, I have been taking prescription sleeping pills, daily, for the past 5yrs. That helps.. Just have to find the right ones that help you to sleep, but don't make it too hard to wake up and function...
harley2ride

Postby Brian C. » Thu May 14, 2009 11:47 am

I've also found Magnesium Orotate and Potassium Magnesium Aspartate helpful in keeping heart rhythm regular.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Brian C. » Thu May 14, 2009 11:51 am

harley2ride, have you tried l-tryptophan or melatonin in place of the sleep medication? I've found daily 1g l-tryptophan helpful. My wife has too.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby David Staup » Sun May 17, 2009 2:41 pm

All,

I have learned a few thimgs about the progression of the ups and downs that may be helpful to some.

I have found that for me the payback for "to strenuous activity" starts about 2 days after the event and that additional activity the day after the primary activity is even more damaging. this has led me into what I call the down escallator. when I forget and /or get stubborn it can take weeks to recover from three days effort.

I never know when I've done to much until it's to late, so try to keep my self on an alternating "heavier and lighter days" schedule so if I do to much on any day I'll know it when the next "heavier" day comes around and not do "heavier".

I have also found that excessive exposure to direct sunlight seems to greatly accelerate the damage rate of any activity so I tend to do the outdoor unshaded portion of my activities early in the morning or later in the evening.

I spent months keeping track in a journal of everything from activity and pain levels to liquid needs, urine color/ cloudyness, and kidney pain. I'll look back at the data and see if there's more. when I can remember to follow the rules It's less likely that I'll fall to far down the curve.

David
David Staup

Postby harley2ride » Mon May 18, 2009 1:52 pm

Brian, I need something pretty potent.. My problem isn't in falling asleep. It is staying asleep. The muscle pains, spasms, etc., make it to where I only sleep for about 2hrs or less, and then I'm wide awake. Doesn't matter how tired I get. I can stay up for 3 days, and I will still only sleep for a few hrs, then be wide awake..

David - I agree completely. Once I overdo it, I pay for it for up to two weeks, before I somewhat recover. It depends on how much I overdo it.. generally, moderate activity will cause me grief for 2 - 4 days..
harley2ride

Postby David Staup » Mon May 18, 2009 2:21 pm

harleytoride

I have the same sleep/ wake cycle...I'll get to sleep easy but waken 2-3 hours later because of pain and stiffness. What works for me sometimes is to get up for an hour and loosen up a bit before going back to bed...also I have a favorite daydream I use to fall asleep works almost all the time now that I'm not under preasure because I have to get up and go to work.. when I "had" to get back to sleep because I had to go to work it was much harder and was rare I'd get more than 4 hours of actual sleep...
I think the key for me is the daydreaming..takes my mind off of problems. stress, and the desire to fall asleep

don't know that this will help other than to know you're not alone

David
David Staup

Postby Brian C. » Tue May 19, 2009 1:58 am

Even on the l-tryptophan I too awake after a couple of hours due to acid reflux. I start the night propped up on pillows but as I fall asleep I slide down onto one side or another. What has improved, however, is my ability to go back to sleep rather than lie awake for hours as I did before taking the substance. Melatonin may be more effective for some.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby valgators » Tue May 19, 2009 10:39 am

Hi David,

This has been my routine for sleep for the past year. I bought a sound machine and set it to white noise. I set the volume rather high and put it on a dresser across from the bed. Then I bought a small CD player and bought some soothing nature sound CD's. At first, I was switching them out and trying something different each night. But I found my brain seemed to adjust better to one CD (I guess it recognized it as "time to sleep"). This may not help others but it works for me. Just blocking out extraneous noises with the sound machine will help.

As for pain, for a long time I only took Tylenol Arthritis but I have given up the fight and now take a prescription pain medication on those days or nights when pain is really bad.

Hope this helps.
Valgators
valgators

Postby David Staup » Tue May 19, 2009 10:54 am

Brian,
acid reflux was one of my problems at night also. since I've started with a daily dose of apple cider vinegar with my gatorade I've not had a problem with acid reflux. I drink between 64 and 96 oz of gatorade daily to keep my electrolites up and mix 1/8 cup of apple cider vinegar(braggs ) with the first 32 oz in the morning. since adding the ACV about 8 weeks ago now I only rarely have heartburt at all and never at night. I still sleep poorly but it's the pain and stiffness that wakes me.

see this site:

*http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/vinegar-and-acid-reflux.html

David
David Staup

Postby Brian C. » Tue May 19, 2009 12:35 pm

Thanks David. I briefly tried (a few days only) Apple Cider Vinegar last year with no noticeable improvement but perhaps it's time for a revisit. I am not familiar with "gatorade", I wonder what the UK equivalent is?

Along with the use of l-tryptophan I have found that my recent septoplasty seems to have helped too, not just with breathing (I was using a BreathRight strip every night) but with post-nasal drip. When I woke up I would spend the next 2 or 3 hours swallowing and this aggravated my stomach problem. This is no longer the case and makes the cost of surgery worthwhile in my opinion.

I'll do a search on "gatorade" now.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Brian C. » Tue May 19, 2009 12:42 pm

Hmm, I like the idea of home-made switchel :

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switchel

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby David Staup » Tue May 19, 2009 4:50 pm

Valgators,
now that you mention it I also use "white noise" I always sleep with a fan going- even when its cool. I'm guessing the white noise generator uses less energy... Where did you get yours?

Brian,
I had never heard of "switchel" and use the gatorade mostly for the electrolites. actually I use the G2 which is low sugar. But I'm going to try and see if I can't find a homemade combination...more later

David
David Staup

Postby valgators » Tue May 19, 2009 5:49 pm

Hi David,

Now that you mention it, an oscillating fan will provide good white noise too. I have bought several sound machines and they are fairly easy to find. I would think Wal Mart, Target, etc. would have them but the last one I got at a Walgreen's. One thing to make sure about, many brands have set timers and will automatically cut-off after an hour. If you want to run yours all night as I do, just make sure you have that option. I need the white noise all night not just an hour. I believe I paid $12 for the last one.

Good luck. Valgators
valgators

Postby David Staup » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:11 pm

All,

Recently I have been on the computer way too much and as a consequence Have been experiencing intense joint pain in my hands, wrists, and elbows. way over the normal joint pain I typically feel in most joints in my body. at the suggestion of an elderly neighbor I tried DMSO on my hands last night and the result this morning was remarkable... joint pain reduced by 90% or so! the hands are still somewhat stiff and feel a bit swollen and tend to slight cramping and pain in the muscles but as the joint pain was the worst of the symptoms I'm very happy and am going to use the DMSO on all painfull joints.

The DMSO is available at any feed store and is very inexpensive.
according to my neighbor the results can last for weeks.

apply with a cotton ball...wait 5-15 minutes...wash off with soap and water as it can sting and possably burn the skin.

will update as time marches on

David

a
David Staup

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:07 pm

David: **http://www.mothernature.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/46522

DMSO 8Oz. $15

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby David Staup » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:48 pm

Brooks,

I paid 6.95 for 16 oz at the feed store.

short update.....just finished a 2+ hour nap after using my hands, again to much, all morning and they are stiff stiff stiff but still no pain!

I am a believer......but fear that the lack of pain will allow me to just do "way more" to much.........life is such a bunch of trade offs and a balancing act to boot.. :lol:

David
David Staup

Postby schatzi » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:08 pm

David, Brooks

Please read the information on the following link regarding DMSO.

*http://www.eclecticphysician.com/archive.php?action=Nbr&Nbr=97

All the Best,

schatzi
schatzi

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:36 pm

Schatsi: Thanks for the link. Its probably good advice, but I have been using DMSO since the 70's and always make sure it is at a 99.9% purity. The bottle label will indicate the purity level. I have had no problems.

DMSO is a by-product of the paper pulp process; if you have ever been in Augusta, Ga. or any of a number of primarily east coast townships with a pulp mill, you will recognize the smell.

Since is is essentially a carrier for whatever you put on your skin, you should be sure you have cleaned the surface area(s) well prior to application. I have applied it with Vitamin E to reduce scaring from cuts or incisions, with powdered aspirin for sore tendons, and many other things for which a universal solvent might be a practical solution. It has even been used in hospital environments to provide nourishment through the skin (in the form of supplements) for those unable to eat. It will also take the varnish off anything on which you set the bottle cap; I speak from personal experience. The guy who recommended it to me so many years ago was a member of the Washington Redskins named Billy Kilmer (nice guy, bad temper), and I have used it ever since with no problems. Still, I appreciate the heads-up.

One thing that amazed me about DMSO. and still does, is that 10 to 30 seconds after you put it on your skin, you can taste it in your mouth; that's how fast it circulates through your body. :shock:

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Next

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs