query to pgrimm

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

query to pgrimm

Postby David Staup » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:53 am

I read with interest the following post as I was perscribed depakote by my original neurologist but stopped right away and refused when he tried to up the dose --because of poor sleeping no less... I would like to enlighten him but need your credentials please contact me off list

my email is accessable in my profile

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:58 am Post subject: Depakote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is for racerman, or anyone else who is knowledgable in the area of depakote.

I am in the field of mental health. I was in a panel reviewing a case of a patient who has bipolar yesterday. Her symptoms are labile mood and anxiety, her symptoms of delusional thought are clearing up. Where in the past, I would have ignored the blood tests done, I noticed that this patient has a total cholesterol of 100. No one was at all alarmed. In fact, when I pointed this out to the team, they actually laughed, saying that low cholesterol is always known to be a good thing. Fortunately, I have learned much on this website, and now that being in the abnormal range of any blood levels is suspects. The "nurse" responded that "Oh, it says here that medications can reduce blood levels", as if that was the end of it. I have been researchin via the internet and am finding that low cholesterol is related to various mood disorders. I also am finding that the depakote she takes decreases carnitine, which is related to reduced serotonin, causing depression. Wow, I'm a little blown away, that because I have a brush with the side effects of statin drugs, I am becoming educated on the importance of cholesterol, and how psychotropic drugs can cause mood problems, the very thing they're supposed to be helping!

Can anyone shed any more light on this? Do carnitine supplements take care of it? Of course, I don't expect the psychiatrist to be knowledge in this area. They never seem to be, but I'll ask him, just for fun.
David Staup

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs