Dr. Graveline's Twelve Supplements

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Postby Biologist » Sat May 16, 2009 9:48 pm

Craig,

I have some thoughts I will post on before long regarding your DHEA levels. In short, it verifies a theory of mine (and of other people).

In the mean time, for you and everyone else (and particularly for those who have previously had a heart attack or something similar), I think this is important from VRP's most recent e-newsletter. Note that I have been taking this stuff (nattokinase) for some time (not that I have ever had ANY heart problems or any scientific indication that I might be atypically predisposed to heart problems including my parents' and grandparents' histories). OK, here is the article. I am sure, properly attributed as it is, they will have no problem with its appearing in this post:

One Common Heart Risk... Many Different Consequences

Health News

By VRP Staff

It’s tempting to think of abnormal blood clots as “matters of the heartâ€Â
Biologist

Postby Biologist » Sat May 16, 2009 10:16 pm

BTW, I learned about nattokinase from Dr. Sinatra's book:

*http://www.amazon.com/Reverse-Heart-Disease-Now-Cardiovascular/dp/0470228784/ref=sr_1_1/189-2084917-8935705?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242529639&sr=8-1

Correction: I use to smoke. That is a heart risk factor. But I'll have more to write about that in the future.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Brian C. » Sun May 17, 2009 2:31 am

I have been taking serratia peptidase enzyme (natto extract) for some time. Reading the VRP Newsletter you have kindly posted Biologist makes me think my wife may need it too since she is a migraine sufferer.
Thank you.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Allen1 » Sun May 17, 2009 4:20 am

Hi there Biologist,

was there any mention about Aspirin in the book? I have been taken it since the heart attack 14 years ago (prescribed by my doctor), it is meant to make the platelets less sticky which in turn would reduce the chances of clots forming. I was on 150mg a day for most of the time, it has been reduced to 75mg in the last couple of years though. The type I take is Dispersible ie it dissolves in water, some people take the coated type which is easier on the stomach and some people just cannot take Aspirin due to the problems they can cause.

Baby Aspirin comes in 75mg tablets here in the UK but I think that elsewhere they may be 80mg judging from some comments I read in the past.

I too smoked prior to my heart attack, the more I got stressed the more I would smoke, to put it politely with the management I had, I smoked a hell of a lot more than I ever would do normally!

All the best,
Allen :)
Allen1

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Sun May 17, 2009 9:56 am

I know this response will sound stupid, but after researching on a number of health websites which include Johns Hopkins, Mayo Clinic, Annals of Internal Medicine, etc., I was wondering if we, being highly civilized, have so sterilized our immune system with supplements and medications it does not know what the hell it is doing, anymore?
gotts
gotts1936

Postby Allen1 » Sun May 17, 2009 11:37 am

Hi there gotts,

that isn't at all stupid. In the world we now live in where every surface is bleached or otherwise cleaned, we do not often come into contact with things that our bodies would build up defences to. What survives the onslaught of such sterilization is something our immune system can't always cope with ie super bugs in hospitals etc. Add to this all the many antibiotics that have been used by many of us and all hell is capable of breaking out. On top of all that we have the experts giving us all the wonders of modern medical magic as in the likes of statins, then creating a purpose or reason why you must stay on them or die.

Low level Exposure to many of natures little nasties helped to build up our immune system. Unfortunately exposure to man made little nasties is killing us and our immune system. This as we all know is often through greed and expert advice from people who maybe are real experts but I do not think you should class Idiocy as a subject to be an expert on and be placed in a position of trust where people have to take the advice that they or their bank balances dictate.

All the best,
Allen1

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Sun May 17, 2009 3:17 pm

Allen,
Thanks. It is nice to know I am not the only individual concerned with what the hell is going! My point is: I have been collecting my blood work results for about 14 years. In 1997, my TC was 270, HDL 57, LDL 170 and in 2005 my TC was 265, HDL 56, and LDL was 176. At this time, my new doctor said I needed to start taking Lovastatin to lower my TC levels,etc. Unfortunately, I agreed. Within four weeks I was in pain, but my new doctor said it was not the statin drugs causing the pain.
Eight months later he said I maybe having a statin drugs side effect and had me stop using Lovastatin.
At my own expense I had ultrasound test on my arteries and discovered my arteries were in great shape. How in the hell could my arteries be in great shape based on my high TC levels for over 8 years?
Gotts
gotts1936

Postby Allen1 » Sun May 17, 2009 5:07 pm

Hi there gotts,

whenever I have had blood tests done, I have never really been told anything other than they are normal apart from a couple where I was anaemic and when my CK levels were bad. The cholesterol test is either done during the routine blood tests or when I go to my cardiovascular clinic and they prick my finger. At the moment my Total Cholesterol is around the 200 mark which is just above the preferred number 5 here in the UK, yours was around 6.9 when they put you on statins.

What the doctors and ourselves should remember is, that unless there has been damage caused to an artery which would allow for deposits to penetrate the interior wall of the artery and cause narrowing, then the whole cholesterol theory is more or less junk science in so much as there has to be a problem for it to become a problem.

Looking back and seeing the lack of elasticity in my muscles and skin, even seeing how thin my veins became while on statins and the best part of 2 years since stopping them, you have to wonder if the arteries around your heart actually became more rigid and prone to damage due to the lack of nutrients that halting cholesterol via statins did. I remember also that since taking Q10 etc my heart felt less heavy and also less rigid if that makes any sense.

I have also noticed that if my granddaughter throws something for me to catch, I don't know which hand to use to catch it, I have also found myself on a few occasions recently trying to write with my left hand and getting annoyed at not being able to read it. I am and always have been right handed so what is going on there.

Anyway as I always seem to be, I am way off topic again so I will stop for now.

All the best,
Allen1

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Sun May 17, 2009 5:20 pm

Allen, your response was very revealing. We can only hope that the truth will prevail. Unfortunately, I do not believe it will ever happen. Have we really improved from those crazy days when doctors bled a patient to remove any disease in their body?
gotts
gotts1936

Postby uncle2blade » Sun May 17, 2009 6:55 pm

Biologist,
I can't supplement with (Nattokinase),or Vitamin"K", as I am taking anticoagulants. My hope is to be off of them soon. I do not have any cardio vascular disease, though.
uncle2blade

Postby Allen1 » Mon May 18, 2009 5:20 am

Hi there gotts,

I am not so sure about the truth not coming out, I think the cholesterol myth is coming to an end judging by how timid sounding the now infrequent Benecol and Flora margarine add are on TV here in the UK. They sound like they don't believe in what they are saying and are spoken in a manner where they no longer over stress the "you will die if you do not buy this product" type of message that they didn't actually say but implied in the past.

As humans go, we are all pretty one minded at times and believe that this new item is the bees knees and nothing will change our mind (until the next one comes along), with many women its those new designer shoes (the ones you can't actually walk in), for a lot of us blokes, its those highly polished spanners (who cares if they are Whitworth when all our nuts are Metric), they just look great. With doctors it seems to be the same mentality with new and improved drugs (as long as the hype is written with a nicely polished finish it has to be good), after all the drug reps would let you know if there were any problems with it wouldn't they?

I think the days of mass belief in this wonder drug are coming to an end, the real shame is that it has taken so long and damaged all too many peoples health in the process.

All the best,
Allen1

Postby uncle2blade » Wed May 20, 2009 10:06 am

Brooks,
I remember you posting something about Iceland health joint supplementation some time ago. Can you refresh my memory on that. Does it help you,when do you take it and how much do you take?

Thanks, Craig

PS By the way How are you doing? Haven't seen a post of yours in a while. I hope this finds you well, or at least getting better.
uncle2blade

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed May 20, 2009 5:17 pm

Craig:
My shoulders, while using Statins, began to grind, pop, and pain me; especially when I would lift my arms to comb my hair or brush my teeth. I don't know why this stuff worked, but it did. I take it at night before bedtime (2 gelcaps). It took about a month or so for me to notice any real improvement, but the improvement is dramatic. I have NO residual effects now. There are at least two compounds of the Joint Relief formula; I use the one with Melatonin. It helps me sleep.

I am still struggling, but hope to improve as I have found a new Dr who MIGHT be able to define my condition sufficient to offer a regimen for improvement. Right now he's taking me thru all the tests (most of which I've had) to determine what my condition is NOT - the old Sherlock Holmes method. The final step will be a muscle biopsy which I have not had. I am still taking all the supplements, and the hardest thing is keeping a positive attitude.

I KNOW this is a mitochondrial myopathy/disfunction/impairment; whatever you might wish to call it, and I am trying to get to the point where some professional says:

"Let's see... you have no energy, you can't get rid of muscle waste and recover your strength after physical exertion, you drink too many fluids and pass too much urine. Those are ALL physical aspects under control and management of your mitochondria. Why don't we take a look at the condition and performance of your mitochondria and see what's going on there."

I'm just hoping to get to that point before my insurance carrier says "Enough already!"

Thanks for asking. I don't post much now because I keep typing the same responses over and over, and I get tired of doing it. I certainly will post if I learn or experience something new and helpful.

How are YOU doing?

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Biologist » Thu May 21, 2009 6:24 pm

Hi, Brooks.

Your passing so much water could be a pituitary problem brought on by statin-based mitochondrial damage to that gland. Pituitary damage is documented in the medical literature for statins. This URL maybe helpful to scan over; the molecular biology is a bit much though. Just something to mention to your doctor perhaps. The pituitary is also responsible for producing Thyroid Stimulating Hormone and could be the basis for thyroid problems. (Human Growth Hormone is also producted there -- low HGH can be fixed fairly inexpensively these days. Google "Sermorelin" sometime.)

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antidiuretic_hormone

_____

Allen,

I do not remember what Dr. Sinatra had to say about low dose asprin, but I will plan to look into it before too long.

_____

Brian,

Dr. Sinatra mentioned Serrapeptase too, I believe. I also bought some of it at the same time as the Nattokinase. I kind of alternate between the two.

Here is what my bottle of "Doctor's Best" brand says on the label:

"Serrapeptase is a proteolytic enzyme isolated from the non-pathogenic bacteria Serratia species found in the digestive tract of the Japanese silkworm. The enzyme is used by the worm to digest their cocoons. [Cool, I like that! :) --Biologist] Serrapeptase has been used as a nutritional supplement in Europe and Asia for nearly three decades. Each enteric-coated vegetarian capsule of Best Serrapeptase contains pure serrapeptase designed for optimal absorption in the intestinal tract."

Both are to be taken between meals.

I got five new books in in the last two days. I'll be doing some reading for a while it looks like...

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Biologist » Thu May 21, 2009 6:59 pm

Brooks,

I did some Googling myself just now and found this which I am watching for the first time now. Looks interesting to me.

*http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5146559810828270231

Biologist
Biologist

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu May 21, 2009 8:30 pm

Biologist: Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at all tomorrow.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby uncle2blade » Fri May 22, 2009 11:05 am

Brooks,
Hi, Thanks for the quick response. Sorry to hear about your struggles, a positive attitude is important though. I'm going to try the Iceland Joint Relief formula. I'll let you know how it works for me. I am also seeing a new M.D. I'll keep everyone up to date on that as well.

Best to you, Craig
uncle2blade

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Sat May 23, 2009 3:06 pm

While I was waiting for the glyconutrients to arrive I started to take eleven of the supplements spacedoc said may help. After, two weeks, my legs started to hurt me me more than ever. I don't know if it was because the muscles were trying to repair themselves or not. So, I went back to my normal supplements. Them being, CoQ10, L-Carnitine, vitamin D3 and omega 3. The leg pain decreased to normal. It still hurts like hell. Does anyone have an idea why this happened.
I realize we all have different problems, I am starting to believe that once our muscles are destroyed by statin drugs our ass is grass and the statin drug is the lawnmower.
gotts
gotts1936

Postby Biologist » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:35 pm

Allen,

In this thread you asked what Dr. Sinatra had to say about asprin. In his book "Reverse Heart Disease Now" (2007), he writes this on page 90:

"Asprin: Some cardiologists recommend that
everyone over ae forty take a daily low-dose
asprin as part of ood cardiovascular prevention.
Asprin can help keep your blood thinner.

We don't make this recommendation to healthy
people for primary CVD prevention. The
reason: asprin may seem harmless, but it's
one of the leading causes of gastrointestinal
bleeding.

We prefer a variety of supplements that keep
blood at a healthy viscosity without eroding the
digestive tract. They include fish oil, garlic,
ginger, bromelain, full-spectrum vitamine E
(with both alpha and gamma tocopherol), and
magnesium." -- Dr. Sinatra

Dr. Graveline comments on asprin in his most recent newsletter. Here is the last half of that article where asprin is mentioned. I included more than necessary because I think a lot of interesting information is in this section. For instance, I did not know that CoQ10 lowers Lp(a)!

BTW, how in the world do you say / pronounce "Lp(a)" ?!

Anyway, here's the text I like:

"Lp(a) is found only in humans and other primates, guinea pigs and fruit-eating bats that also share the inability to make their own vitamin C. Most other animals make their own vitamin C in amounts we would consider mega doses, have no Lp(a) and rarely have significant cardiovascular disease.

Having been the first to differentiate Lp(a) from LDL cholesterol, Pauling and Rath did most of the early study of Lp(a), emphasizing that vitamin C is critical both to collagen quality and to levels of Lp(a). They have shown that optimum levels of vitamin C are associated with low levels of Lp(a) and low cardiovascular risk levels. Their recommended levels of vitamin C supplementation range from 2-4gms daily and even higher under stress conditions. They recommend supplemental lysine and proline as well for high risk individuals.

Aspirin is recommended by some based on a study using 81 mg of aspirin on 70 patients with either coronary artery disease or cerebral infarction, finding that aspirin substantially lowered serum Lp(a) concentrations especially in those with high concentrations over 300mg/L. The benefit of aspirin use is most likely that of platelet inhibition thereby partially off-setting the thrombogenic effect of high Lp(a). The mechanism of action whereby aspirin actually reduces Lp(a) levels is unknown

Although niacin is commonly recommended at doses of 1.5 -2 gms/day for lowering Lp(a), patient complaints about this supplement are such that few experienced doctors find this treatment satisfactory. For those fortunate individuals who can tolerate this substance, its use is both economical and effective.

Statins are considered to be generally ineffective for Lp(a) reduction, however, the thrombogenic effect of elevated Lp(a) can be reduced by dosing statins at low, anti-inflammatory rather than cholesterol reducing doses. Those at high risk for cardiovascular disease on the basis of personal and family history would benefit most from this approach. This statin benefit is mediated by nuclear factor kappa B inhibition of platelet function.

CoQ10 has been shown to have a significant effect on lowering Lp(a). In a study of acute coronary disease patients The use of CoQ10 at doses of 120 mg/day was found to give a 22% reduction of Lp(a) levels compared with placebo controls." -- Dr. Graveline

____

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Biologist » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:48 pm

The "g" on my keyboard is not working well again. I hand fixed most of the "g-deficient" words, but apparently not all of them. ood luck, or rather, Good luck reading the above post...

Biologist
Biologist

PreviousNext

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs