Dr. Graveline's Twelve Supplements

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Postby Allen1 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:54 pm

Hi there Biologist,

thanks for getting back with this, Dr. Sinatra's answer about aspirin is roughly what I was told when prescribed them along with the advice to also take omega 3, the other things like ginger and garlic etc were not mentioned though but I must admit I do like eating those two in meals.

I think you would pronounce "Lp(a)" as "El pee aye" or Lipoprotein(a) as "Lipoprotein. A". After all these years, you would think someone would name something that was readily pronounceable for a change :-)

I don't think that I was aware about Lp(a) until you mentioned it but in your post, it says vitamin C levels make a big difference in keeping Lp(a) in check as does CoQ10, the shocking thing about using statins to reduce cholesterol is that both of these are effected in a bad way, which in turn would have an effect on Lp(a) levels. We are still finding out what statins have done to us and continue to do to our health, this truly is a modern day medical horror story that we are forced to be the main characters in.

All the best,
Allen :-)
Allen1

Postby Allen1 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:00 pm

Hi there Biologist,

its murder when that happens, its bad enough hitting the wrong keys at times without that too :-)
Allen1

Postby Biologist » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:54 pm

"I don't think that I was aware about Lp(a) until
you mentioned it but in your post, it says
vitamin C levels make a big difference in
keeping Lp(a) in check as does CoQ10, the
shocking thing about using statins to reduce
cholesterol is that both of these are effected in
a bad way, which in turn would have an effect
on Lp(a) levels." -- Allen

That's a pretty major observation you made, Allen. CoQ10 levels being lowered by statins effectively raises Lp(a) levels!

I had missed that. It is probably the reason for this:

"Statins are considered to be generally ineffective
for Lp(a) reduction..." --Dr. Graveline

Again, that is a significant observation. I think it should be pointed out frequently.

Also, we know that Vitamin C is reported to lower LDL levels. It may be that it PREFERRENTIALLY lowers Lp(a) which has previously been considered just another fractional constituent of LDL !! If so, it becomes a Major Factor in controlling coronary heart disease. Wonder where all the major NIH studies are on this issue?

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Allen1 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:11 am

Hi there Biologist,

thanks for the comment about the observation, coming from you that really means a lot. I used to be able to design and build electronic circuits including the circuit boards as a hobby, the ability to see something logically was important, alas it is a rare occasion when that happens now after years of statin therapy :-(

I know you would have normally made the same observation too, that blooming "g" has a lot to answer for :-) it is always good to read your posts, a lot of valuable information has often been brought to our attention through them such as the Lp(a) post for instance.

All the best,
Allen1

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:44 pm

Biologist, I have an interesting story to tell concerning aspirin. Around 1975, I was reading the New England Journal of Medicine. An article concerning aspirin by a doctor in Dover, New Hampshire got my attention. This doctor said he was treating his cardiac patients with aspirins and having good results. This is stupid, but based on his comments I started taking aspirins every day.
In 1975, I was 39 years old. I started taking two aspirins a day. Yup, that right. I started taking two 325 mg aspirins everyday. And, only recently have I started taking one 325 mg aspirin per day. I decided to stop taking two 325 mg aspirins per day because I am 72 years old.
My blood pressure runs about 150/85, but my blood pressure has been at that level for over 15 years. I don't worry about it. Of course, my GP does not sleep at night worrying about it.
I recently had my arteries checked with ultrasound life line screening and they are clean.
My question is: With all the negative reports about aspirin, how can anyone explain why I am not dead?
gotts1936

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:17 pm

Biologist, I was hoping to have a response from you. Maybe your on vacation for father's day. It could be possible my use of aspirin for so many years is a genetic thing.
Unfortunately, for the last three years, since lovastatin damaged my leg muscles, I have been on a lot of medical websites and I have never seen so many contradictory reports and studies. The fact of the matter is, if we follow any of the current medical conventional believes we could damage our bodies or die from the side effects of a drug because they are all toxic to some individuals.
So far, I have refused to take Finasteride, Metformin and any other statin drug. I have decided I prefer to die of natural causes, rather than a toxic drug.
References: Johns Hopkins Hospital
Mayo Clinic
Annals of Internal Medicine, etc, etc and etc.
To those of you who remember Frank Sinatra, I'm doing it my way!
gotts1936

Postby Allen1 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:50 pm

Hi there Gotts,

from the amount of Aspirin you have been taken, you are either very lucky or as you suggest not genetically built where you would have a severe reaction to using them long term. The standard amount that would be prescribed is the baby aspirin size of 75mg in the UK and 81mg or 80mg in the USA, that would be one per day unless there was a particular reason for a higher dose.

As you know Aspirin is not for everyone, maybe as a safety precaution you could think about reducing the dosage down to the standard size just to be a little safer. The way I look at things since statins did there damage, is why give anything else a chance of adding to the misery that we already have to endure every day.

All the best,
Allen1

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:10 am

Allen,
Thank you for your response. To be honest, I am very nervous about lowering my aspirin dose of 325 mg to 81 mg. As I have mentioned for the last 30+ years I have been taking two 325 mg aspirins everyday. I just recently, lowered my dose to one 325 mg everyday.
Last year,on two 325 mg aspirins everyday, my life line screening indicated my arteries were clean and blood flow through out my body was good. I am going to have a life line screening shortly and if the results do not show an artery or blood flow problem I may cut my aspirin dose to 81 mg.
gotts

P.S. I trusted the medical profession and went on a statin drug, should I now listern to them and lower my aspirin dose?
gotts1936

Postby Biologist » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:55 pm

Thanks, Allen.

Hi, Gotts.

You might want to read this:

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asprin

Here's a quote on toxicity:

"The acutely toxic dose of aspirin is generally considered greater
than 150 mg per kg of body mass. Moderate toxicity occurs at
doses up to 300 mg/kg, severe toxicity occurs between 300 to
500 mg/kg, and a potentially lethal dose is greater than 500 mg/kg.
Chronic toxicity may occur following doses of 100 mg/kg per day
for two or more days."

Note the following: 1 kg. equals 2.2 pounds.

If you weigh 150 lbs, that means to reach the level of chronic toxicity, you would need to take almost 7,000 mg per day (100 mg per kg. of body weight or 100 mg per 2.2 lbs of body weight or about 22 of your 325 mg pills) for two or more days. To reach a single dose toxicity, you would need to take about 400 mg/kg (i.e., "300 to 500 mg/kg"), which equates to about 27,000 mgs or 84 of your 325 mg. tablets.

I don't have time to check my math, but will get around to it later and post on what I may find...

Also, the major "damage" possible is bleeding. I am no expert on this, but it seems to me that one should be able to detect large amounts of digested blood in the stool due to discoloration.

There may be other long term effects but again I am no expert. However, I would imagine your former dosage is replicated around the world regularly for chronic conditions for years on end. In short, probably no big deal, while I personally would cut back, as you have, I think.

I find too much aspirin (like two 325 mg pills) gives me tinnitus. So I don't do it.

Biologist
Biologist

THE STATIN DAMAGE CRISIS - YOU HAVE TO READ IT

Postby saved from statins » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:07 pm

THIS BOOK IS VERY INFORMATIVE--YES, THE 12 SUPPLEMENTS ARE LISTED, AND I AM WORKING ON A PLAN FOR ME AND MY HUSBAND.
BUY THE BOOK--YOU WILL NEVER MAKE A BETTER INVESTMENT IN YOUR HEALTH OR THE HEALTH OF YOUR FAMILY. I ALSO RECOMMEND REVERSE HEART DISEASE NOW BY DRS SINATRA AND ROBERTS, AND BOOKS BY KILMER MCCULLY, JAY COHEN, MALCOLM KENDRICK, AND OF COURSE, DR.
GRAVELINE'S TWO OTHER EXCELLENT BOOKS. I HAVE ALSO RECEIVED EXCELLENT ADVICE FROM DR MERCOLA'S WEBSITE. IT'S ALL THERE--ALL WE HAVE TO DO IS READ/UNDERSTAND AND FORMULATE A PLAN. OH, AND AS THEY USED TO SAY IN THE FRENCH RESISTANCE IN WWII, "COURAGE!" BECAUSE AT TIMES YOU WILL BE SWIMMING AGAINST THE CURRENT OF IGNORANCE/APATHY/ARROGANCE, AND YOU WILL FEEL VERY ALONE. THANK GOD FOR THIS FORUM AND FOR DR GRAVELINE.
saved from statins

Postby Biologist » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:10 pm

SFS,

Dr. Graveline's book, to borrow your word from another post, is STUPENDOUS. It is great for several reasons which I may comment on later.

Biologist
Biologist

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:51 pm

Hi Biologist, I always enjoy your responses. They are very informative. The reason I lowered my dose of aspirin from two 325 MG after 30+ years is I once in a while had blood in my urine. My urologist, outside of BPH, could not find any problems.

I thought maybe the aspirin was causing the blood in my urine. Since I have lowered my dose of aspirin one 325 MG a day. I no longer have blood in the urine. I even thought that the combination of aspirin and lovastatin may have cause my leg muscle damage. I am going to see a neurologist in a week. Let's see what he says.
gotts1936
gotts1936

Postby Biologist » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi, Gotts.

Acetaminophen is the one to watch out for. Bad news.

BTW, I am now taking about 1.25 mg of finesteride per day for controlling hair loss (I cut a 5 mg tablet into quarters). That and minoxidil. I watched my older brother grow his hair back (on his crown, but maybe in the front too where it was thining) over a three year period with the combination, so now maybe me too. So far, so good. Just got to watch for the side effects for the finasteride...

Also, thyroid supplementation, which I am now back on, may be helping -- big cause for hair loss in both men and women.

That would be interesting if there were such an interaction with the aspirin. I sure would not rule it out. And the blood in the urine via aspirin may also be a reasonable call, it would seem to me.

Biologist
Biologist

Previous

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs