Savella, new drug for fibromyalgia treatment

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Savella, new drug for fibromyalgia treatment

Postby valgators » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:57 pm

I have been reading about the upcoming release (March 09) of Savella.
I am wondering if we could hope this drug might help with the muscle issues we deal with constantly. I've tried Lyrica without success.

Those of you with scientific backgrounds, what are your thoughts on this drug?

Thanks. Valgators
valgators

Postby peter s » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:43 pm

Looks to me like just another side-effect heavy antidepressant. But who knows, those do work for some people.
peter s

Postby peter s » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:32 pm

The drug companies report that nausea was the most common side effect in the clinical trials and that other commonly reported adverse reactions were constipation, hot flush, sweating, vomiting, palpitations, increased heart rate, dry mouth, and hypertension (high blood pressure).
peter s

Postby Brian C. » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:28 am

In my opinion ALL therapies that rely on drugs to treat chronic conditions should be avoided like the plague.

It is also my opinion that we should treat medical practitioners as we would any artisan, employ them to do a specific job of OUR asking and only remunerate them when the job is finished to our satisfaction.

Our health is our responsibility and nobody else's.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby peter s » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:52 pm

Well said Brian but that is much easier said than done, of course. We were brought up to trust doctors and to defer to their expertise. I still see post after post from people about what their doctors made them do and what their doctors wouldn't let them do. It is time to rethink the paradigm. In the age of the internet, an amazing amount of information is available to the consumer. And at the same time, medical science has become so complex that the average doctor cannot possibly grasp everything that is relevant to his or her patients. Artisan, indeed, although good luck withholding payment :)
peter s

Postby Brian C. » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:06 am

Yes, there is a yawning abyss twixt "should" and "could" alas :roll:

But a change in mental orientation over time and in aggregate predicates change in human affairs :wink:

Brian.
Brian C.

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs