Pseudohypertrophy, a manifestation of statin drug damage

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Pseudohypertrophy, a manifestation of statin drug damage

Postby gotts1936 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:10 pm

Pseudohypertrophy, is anyone on this website aware of this possible manifestation of statin drugs? Your muscles waste away and your muscle tendons can become displaced and relocated causing permanent pain when utilizing or put stress on your muscles.
Any comments?
Gotts
gotts1936

Postby harley2ride » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:13 pm

Isn't that basically just Muscular Distrophy, which I have and which was Statin aggrivated or induced (depending upon who to believe).
harley2ride

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:31 pm

Harley2ride, yes, you are correct, but Muscular Dystrophy (MD ) refers to a group of more than 30 genetic diseaes that cause progressive weakness and degeneration of skeletal muscles used during voluntary movement. Some types of MD also effect the heart, gastrointestinal systems, endocrine glands, spine, eyes, brain and other organs.

My point is that, if you received a defective gene from one of your parents than a statin drug can create a genetic mutation. This mutation can effect muscle fiber which will die and lead to progressive muscle degeneration. I know it is hard to prove the statin drug caused this chronic shortening of tendons and muscle wasting. Unfortunately, this cessasion of your statin drug can never be repaired.
gotts1936

Postby harley2ride » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:57 pm

I know that all too well, Gotts.. That is what caused my Muscular Distrophy. Doc said I probably had a defective gene, that may or may not have ever caused me any problems. He said that when I took the Crestor, it was like turning on a light switch, and it instantly gave me my muscular distrophy.

And I agree that it sucks. Like right now, my tendons in my hand hurt so bad, I almost want to cry, while typing.... I've gotten much weaker over the past few years. 5 yrs ago I was working out with weights, benching around 200. Now it hurts to try anything over 60lbs. I can even do pushups anymore, and I used to do 50 pushups and 100 sit ups ... NOT ANY MORE!
harley2ride

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:07 pm

The reason I mentioned pseudohypertrophy is because my research told me that pseudohypertrophy actually allows muscle tissue to build up in areas which affect normal muscles creating stress on the normal muscle function with accompanying pain. My legs appear to have tissue build around my knees. How about you?
Also, I told my doctor that my legs looked deformed and he laughed.
gotts
gotts1936

pseudohypertrophy

Postby eml256 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:24 pm

Gott, would you mind sharing the references for statin associated "pseudohypertrophy"? thanks,
eml256

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs