Does your cholesterol level recover post-statins

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Does your cholesterol level recover post-statins

Postby pamelasp » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:59 am

I took Simvastatin for 28 months as a precaution against getting high cholesterol - that's what my Dr told me - I was 50yrs old at the time.Within 12 months I had the muscle damage - it was so bad in my right calf I couldn't bear the covers on my bed to touch my legs/toes. Insomnia, morning diarrehia,Sciatica, severe memory loss, chest pains, jaundice, hand tremors, neuropathy in hands/feet/face - was told this was Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?, Arrythmia, grey pallor,tripping, statin shuffle, difficulty swallowing & finding the right word,aged 20 yrs, TGA in Vienna & Texas when on holiday, choroid plexus cysts + much more. Stopped Statins 11 months ago - muscles improved but am left with neuropathy and memory loss and a very low WBC. I wonder if my cholesterol level has recovered post-statin, as the drug depleted it to an extremely low level.This might explain why I haven't recovered - does anyone else have the same problem. I'm going to get it tested next week - I don't care if it's normal or high - I just don't want it to be low.
pamelasp

Postby Cat Mom2 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:04 am

I had a lot of your symptoms while on them. Since I have been off I have a a lot of other problems pop up so quitting them does not end the story.

I think the highest my cholesterol has been since I quit them and started eating healthier has been 269 and 228 at the lowest. At the 228 level, I was feeling awful and had went to the doctor to find out why. I told him to do blood work and check EVERYTHING. Soon as I found out my cholesterol level, I knew what was wrong so I have included more fat in my diet to get it up. I feel best when it is in the 250 range.

It only makes sense to me that if cholesterol plays such an important role in the body, you deprive your body of what it needs and you have problems. I prefer to let my own body tell me what it needs and not someone sitting somewhere that I do not even know, much less his qualifications to decide what MY body needs.
Cat Mom2

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:12 pm

Pamela: My levels run about 270 total cholesterol, which is supposed to be high, but like most of us on this forum, I don't worry about it.

If you have the time, Pam, would you post your statin story (first item under the statin category)? It helps if browsers have one spot to search to read about the dangers of this medicine, and your story, as it covers so many of the typical side effects, sounds helpful.

Thanks.

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby catspjs » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:35 am

After my statin fiasco which was pretty much the same my chol. level went up over 300 (rebound)...since then it hovers between 228 and 268 which is fine for me...I think your levels go up when your body needs more....of course that is my opinion....I feel fine..no signs of heart disease and I am 70...I have been taking extra Vit. D and calcium which I know is helping my thyroid etc get back to normal...my muscles pretty much recovered but still have periferal neuropathy 9 years after the "bomb" fell....Pretty much curtailed our day trips which we used to like walking and exploring antique shops, and historical sites....Doc still insists I get chol. levels done...told him he was wasting Medicares money and my time as I won't take statins anyway.. Isn't it strange we can almost write the same stories on here..
catspjs

Postby Cat Mom2 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:13 pm

GREAT! It starts with a few to wake the rest of the world up!

Our companies nurse knows how I feel about this whole matter and I even email her things to pass around. I sent her the link to Dr. Golombs report on You Tube and I think, due to that, she has a better understanding of what I am saying and WHY! One at a time, all it takes is one to speak and one to listen.... even if they don't understand, just having them listen is an accomplishment now days.

I've had many listen, mainly those taking the drug and experienceing problems. 2 in the last 6 months that have quit taking the stuff so I AM making a differance with what I have learned and continue to learn. Pass what you learn around, you will never be heard if you don't speak! Speak to anyone who will listen...
Cat Mom2

responding to statin nightmares

Postby pamelasp » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:42 am

It's not surprising that your hubby has had nightmares - our brains make 50% of our cholesterol. So therefore the statin ( an excellent reductose inhibitor) targets the liver and the brain via the melavonate pathway - reducing and destroying everything in it's path - doing exactly what it has been designed to do.Statins are also capable of crossing the blood/brain barrier and this is when memory/cognitive problems and nightmares, amongst many other neurological problems can and do manifest. Incidentally nightmares our our brains 'early warning systems' they are the fight/flight feeling that we sometimes get when our brains are becoming alarmed about what is happening to our bodies.Quite clever really, brain not happy, worried about what this chemical is doing - how can I alert my owner - I know we'll create a nightmare, or a panic attack!!

Tell me something, ask your husband when he had these nightmares, did he hit the ground when he fell out the building, did he get caught when he was chased, did the creatures burn to death? I suspect they were so severe that his answer will be yes.Please, please take the COQ10 300mgs daily it can/will put back some of the substances that the statins have destroyed. Also get his testosterone levels checked as testosterone and eostrodial also live in the melavanate pathway. I haven't had a nightmare for several weeks now, and have been off the statins 10 months - so there is light at the end of the tunnel.
pamelasp

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs