Statins

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Statins

Postby ldelin » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:22 pm

I was on a maximum dose of statins for 4 years (80mg/day). I was fatiqued, stiff and sore, short of breath, confused, and near suicidal. After visiting this site, I cut my statin dosage to 40mg per day and began taking red rice yeast and COQ10 daily. After one year my cholesteral numbers are better than ever, my health is much improved and my mind is cleared of a four year fog. My diet, which is terrible, is mostly unchanged. Oh yeah, my weight is down, too. By the way, I'm 56.
Les Delinski,
Lake Mary Florida
ldelin

Postby peter s » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:37 pm

I am no doctor, but red yeast rice IS a statin (lovastatin) from what I understand. I hope you are doing this under medical supervision. Good luck with your diet.
peter s

Postby Allen1 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:39 am

Hi there Les,

Peter is right about red rice yeast being a statin, it also causes the same problems that other statins do. Please stop taking it, but for your own peace of mind do a look on google for side effects, its good to see that you are taking COQ10, we are all learning as we go with the statin problems and finding what is good and what isn't.

All the best,

Allen.
Allen1

Postby Cat Mom2 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:23 am

I have never understood doctors thinking in prescribing that much to anybody, that is asking for problems!

I have the inherited high cholesterol and I DID get mine down to where my doctor was happy (but I was not because it was to low for ME) through diet and I lost the 45 pounds I gained while on the statin. I did it by eating healthier and eating all day long! (Just made smarter choices as to what I ate)
Cat Mom2

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs