Zocor changed my like forever

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Zocor changed my like forever

Postby Irene112x » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:51 am

Two years ago I was put on zocor and after 3 months I stopped taking the drug because of the burning acid pain my legs would feel when I walked. Since then the pain is still here and with no change. Now I am having memory problems and I have a hard time finding the right words. I am only 37 and the sad thing is that my clorestoral was not that high when I was given the drug.

My doctors thought I have MS but now they believe the damage is from my exposure to zocor. Friday I am getting my test results for my brain MRI with contrast, EEG, MEG, more blood tests, and neuropsycological evaluation.

Anyone out there have symtoms that never went away? Did you finally find a doctor that believed you? Will anything show up on these tests?
Irene112x

Postby epfleger » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:44 am

Hi Irene:

I think just about everyone on this forum can relate to your symptoms.

I am a 40 year old male, and was given lipitor when my cholesterol hit 207! After 6 months I pulled myself off of the poison and am now a damaged man. Muscle problems and memory/word problems. I had a full brain MRI and it showed nothing. I suppose that might be good news, but, I suspect the damage is mostly mitochondreal damage which would not show up on an MRI.

Anyway, after a full year my brain fog has subsided a little, and my muscle problems bother me most with exercise. I suggest you get your Vitamin D levels checked.

Don't despair. A good regimine of supplements may go a long way in helping you. Here's what I take:

Acetyl L- Carnitine 500mg 3X daily
Alpha Lipoic Acid 150mg 3X Daily
Co-Q10 (Qsorb ubiquinol) 100mg 3x daily
Vitamin D 2000 I.U. Daily

Thank God I found this forum to help me begin to help myself. Doctors are generally clueless regarding stain side effects, so we are mostly left to our own devices to figure things out. One common thread that has been developed here on this forum is that the damage we suffer is damage to the mitochondrea. I generally agree with this assessment. The trouble with this is it is very difficult to accurately diagnose, and even more troubling to manage.

Welcome to the forum!

-Ed Pfleger
epfleger

Postby Allen1 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:09 pm

Hi there Irene,

it was 10 years of zocor/simvastatin that done my damage, I have been off the statins 2 years at the end of this month and the memory problems are not as bad as they were although I still get worn out both mentally and physically fairly easily.

Apart from some white areas on my MRI there was nothing found that would match my memory symptoms and nothing really significant. Anywhere what Ed has said before me is more or less the same for me, I find that I still have some good days and some bad ones but they are not as severe as they used to be.

Take care and good luck with the tests, you could also mention that others have had the MRI test and they also came back normal or non specific.

All the best,

Allen.
Allen1

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs