Statins for Diabetics

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Statins for Diabetics

Postby kgjj » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:14 pm

I had a serious statin reaction. I could not move my legs for about 3 months. Fortunately, the weakness/paralysis went away after 3 months after discontinuing the statin. In discussing this with my endo, she really did not want to talk about it. I expressed my skepticism about statins and she disagreed and gave me a copy of a 2005 article out of The British Journal of Diabetes and Vascular Disease. It went on that several trials including the Heart Protection Study show that statins reduce the risk of heart disease. I have diabetes which puts a little different light on this subject, but the article made some statements that I found outrageous in comparison to the information I had found in various places. It said that diabetes leads to a 2-10-fold increase in the risk of vascular disease and that on average the life expectancy of those with diabetes is reduced by ten years. Other information I have found indicated that the difference of a cardiovascular event in the next 5 year period is about 8 to 9% while the risk for a diabetic is about 10%. Also, I have not seen anything like the the ruduction of life span by an average of 10 years. Would appreciate any responses from those who have information about these issues.
kgjj

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs