NT Factor Energy(TM)

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

NT Factor Energy(TM)

Postby Brian C. » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:21 am

Has anyone any experience with "NT Factor Energy"? Not available direct to the public alas but only through medical practioners....

*https://www.researchednutritionals.com/store/item.cfm?code=CRN101

I find d-ribose/CoQ10/L-Carnitine or Acetyl-L-Carnitine very good for eliminating pain but disappointingly limited results for energy and stamina.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Allen1 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:11 am

Brian,

that looks and sounds pretty good. For us lot with statin damage though I would reckon we would have to take our Q10 first then after a time period take those, the reason being the 67% of your daily Vitamin E is part of the tablets (Vit E competes with Q10 for receptors if I remember right).

I don't know anyone using this nutritional supplement but it does look promising to help combat fatigue which is a real problem for a lot of folk for various reasons and who have never taken a statin and then of course there is us lot :shock:

All the best,

Allen.
Allen1

Postby Brian C. » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:42 am

Yes, "us lot". Just recovered ours and our neighbour's wheelie bins after the fortnightly collection, wheeled them back to their usual places a few yards away and now I'm kn*ckered!

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Allen1 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:23 am

Hi there Brian,

I forgot to mention that when I had my nose op done 22/01/2009 under general anaesthetic, I was put on oxygen the same as everyone else when we were in the recovery room and wheeled back to the ward. Anyway I felt so much more alive and able to think and recall things properly than I have been able to for a very long time now. Unfortunately that has mainly faded away after over a week but I am not as dull in the brain dept as I was before going for the op, has the oxygen got something to do with it, or maybe just being able to use both nostrils? (although they are still bleeding a bit at the moment though).

All the best,

Allen.

Its good to see Ray is still posting, its a while since I seen anything prior to the last one in Lesliesmom's post and another today. :)
Allen1

Postby Brian C. » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:56 am

I am sure proper breathing makes a big difference to our well-being. Just look at how important breath (pranha) is in Indian tradition, yogic practice and aveydic medicine. I have a couple of canisters of oxygen here for emergencies but when I get bad I am physically incapable of getting to them. I need a nurse!
But then I'm nurse to my wife at the moment, who has been clobbered by the dreaded 'flu.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Brian C. » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:58 am

Oh yes, glad the op and aftermath went well for you Allen :)

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Allen1 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:48 am

Hi there Brian,

you and your wife have my sympathy with the dreaded flu, fortunately I had my stint before Xmas and just a sore throat since then, normally it would go round the family and come back a different strain and start again. :(

I hope that she gets well soon and that you don't catch it too, by the way, I had a vision of you as a nurse but it didn't quite do it for me seeing you in a nurses uniform :lol:

Take care,

Allen :)
Allen1

Postby Brian C. » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:56 am

[quote="Allen1"]I hope that she gets well soon and that you don't catch it too[/quote]

Thanks Allen

[quote] by the way, I had a vision of you as a nurse but it didn't quite do it for me seeing you in a nurses uniform :lol: [/quote]

Yeah, I'm no Barbara Windsor by any stretch of the imagination :wink:

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Biologist » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:13 pm

Allen:

You may want to research Vinpocetine on this forum and the Web. It may increase oxygen availability to the brain by preferentially increased circulation there. It is cheap and well researched. How much it helps me I don't know, but I have no blockages anywhere to my knowledge so I might not be expected to see much effect. Your experience may have been diagnostic of a lack of optimal oxygen? Just a thought.

For all of us:

I record the series "The Doctors" everyday. Interesting show where a panel of young doctors answer questions from the studio audience on all medical subjects. Generally I like the show, it is instructive on several levels including the airing of myths by both the public and of doctors (sometimes still held by the show's panel, in my opinion). Vitamin C was discussed recently and the consensus was that it is just washed out of the body, so is not worth taking in large amounts. Ironically, that is the point! Yes, it is washed out, so to maintain optimal levels (to prevent the oxidation of cholesterol, for one) at all times it needs to be in higher concentration in the blood stream at all times for best health. That's the theory anyway. It sure makes sense to me and I do take my VC.

The panel is not much on supplements. Several take a multi-vitamin. They might change their mind if they researched a few of them such as Vitamin D, carnitine and alpa lipoic acid.

I am waiting for "an episode" on statins...

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Allen1 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi there Biologist,

thanks for the advice about Vinpocetine, I now recall that this is something that Brooks told me about and mentioned that it may help with my memory problems. I did print out some information and gave it to my doctor over a year ago to see what he thought and he was going to get back to me, a lot of things have happened since then and both he and myself seem to have forgotten about it. I am definitely going to mention it when I next see him and also explain about the effect the oxygen had on me.

Since my deviated septum and turbinates op, my problems with swallowing has also eased which is probably something to do with it also sorting out the nasal drip. I would recommend this op to anyone who needs it, it really does make a lot of difference to your quality of life and it has been more or less painless.

Thanks again for the advice, the reason I originally asked my Dr was because of the other medications I'm on, I can't see any problems really though but it is always good to keep each other informed where possible.

All the best,

Allen :)
Allen1

Postby crafty » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:52 pm

Hallelujah! NADH, or its precursor NAD, appears to have solved my energy, weariness, and fatigue problems resulting from the neuropathy and muscle weakness caused by statins and red yeast rice. Have been using for approx 6 wks and am delighted with the results. First used NADH for 10 days, it worked but is expensive, $1.25/ 10 mg pill.; Then switched to NAD, precursor to NADH, at approx $0.25 per 25mg lozenge for the last 2 weeks. NAD seems to be just as effective.

NAD mfg by NOW.Label says, "Supports Cellular Energy." Further it says' " NAD is the biological usable form of niacin (Vit B-3). NAD is present in all living cells as a cofactor for many biochemical reactions, playing a central role in cellular energy production. Thus, the more NAD available to the cell, the more energy it can produce. NAD and its reduced form, NADH, are reaily converted by the body,---" Maybe this is germane to the cell damage mentioned in Spacedoc's posts.

This may be premature but the results have been so promising that I wanted to immediately share with all. For years I have spent many $ searching and searching for help. I Take all the vitamins and minerals, etc. CoQ10 and others, AND I WILL CONTINUE WITH THEM. For the small cost, it may NAD or NADH may be beneficial to some of you.

Blessings to all, Crafty
crafty

Postby Biologist » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:32 pm

Interesting, Crafty. Great to hear it. Keep us posted on how that evolves. You may have the same energy production issues as harley2ride. I have experimented with NADH enough to know that it is real but never stuck with it enough to give it a good go, but it will be on my list in the future. What I have done is abuse it. High dosages along with coffee on an empty stomach where it made me feel weird and weakish. That was part of the point at the time though as I was not willing to believe that tiny pill could do anything significant. I became sure that it could. The cost savings aspect is of your findings is important.

I am currently doing an experiment. I took major amounts for D-Ribose last night and this morning and then walked a fast 5.5 miles in approximately 45 degree clear skys in shorts and a double t-shirt. That should be enough to really rag me out starting in a few hours and extending into tomorrow. Too early to make any judgment just yet though. I feel pretty good now as I would have expected.

Allen, Brian and I have mused in the past about the extent of psychopathy in the medical community to account for counterproductive and dangerous prescriptions. It may be a statistically significant factor, but simple misinformation complicated by mass careerism is probably much more of a factor for most doctors. One of the reasons I come to this preliminary conclusion is the short life spans of doctors. For their economic demographic, they should live much longer than they do. Typically this is ascribed to stress; however, I would suggest that it has as much to do with them taking their own medicine (i.e., their own health advice)! Drugs and poor eating, as recommended by their authorities, may be the culprit, and this, if true, is not supportive of the contention that pshychopathy is a/the major factor.

"Fraud" Warning: Sam's Club (and probably Walmart) now have dropped their small dosage CoQ10 bottles. That's good. Now, at almost the same price(!) I belive, they now only have 100 and 200 mg pills. That's good too. Here's the bummer: the base for the capsules is the cheap form of Vitamin E!! We have learned here that VE competes with Q10 in hitching a ride in LDL molecules. So that means less Q10 gets were it needs to be in the body, PLUS the VE provided is only one of the six forms of VE that we need; therefore it crowds out the other five. (This phenomenon is no doubt the basis for "failed" VE experiments in the past by providing only the single form; it is believeable that the treatment would be counterproductive.) BUT, including it as the "absorption media" in capsules of Q10 is over the top. They have to know better than that! I ran out of good Q10 recently and picked up a bottle at Sams and then discovered the VE issue. I will not be taking that stuff, and I reordered today from EPIC.

For those following Obama's picks -- particularly regarding the healthcare issue -- here is an interesting article. I agree with the author:

*http://www.commondreams.org/view/2009/02/03-15

Biologist
Biologist

Postby crafty » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:26 pm

Re NAD. I am 81, still active and play raquetball twice a week with younger fellows but cannot go after the ball as aggresively as I once did. Why? Because my muscles will not allow it but since starting NAD, I see & feel improvement. I also play 2 hrs of wallyball twice a week and I no longer see the fatigue in the afternoon. Walking is my problem. I cannot do a mile or so because of the leg pain and tiredness

A couple of yrs past, I was also diagnosed as hypothyroid! Caused by statins?? I wonder. The thyroid is now under control but it has caused me to wonder if our hormones are adversely effected by statins. Considering the many diversified adverse reactions attributed to statins, then I suppose this is possible. I do not remember seeing this mentioned by Spacedoc.

Although NAD seems to work for me when I add it to my "stew" of vitamins and minerals and my blood type diet, it might not work for others. Good luck with your experimentation. - Crafty
crafty

Postby Allen1 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:37 am

Hi there Biologist,

I can't argue with what you say and doubt if my doctor could either. When you take a good look at what Doctors really do, you come to realise that they, like the rest of us have to achieve targets and we are basically the things that they fix on the assembly line in an allotted time per unit to keep the line moving. On the other hand most doctors (GP s) get called out during the night for seriously ill patients and as my doctor did stayed with them most of the night and still had to do a full day at the surgery. I would think that the "I know best" attitude is learned from medical college and any new information they hear about is from drug reps and NICE guidelines etc (in the UK). Thankfully doctors like my own who initially thought I was possibly making up those odd and seemingly unconnected symptoms, did take notice when showed him information I had found from sites like this one. The real problem is the corrupt well paid doctors and officials who knowingly promote the use of statins and other harmful medications for stature and profit, they are the curse on humanity and should be jailed for the harm that they have knowingly caused.

[code]Allen, Brian and I have mused in the past about the extent of psychopathy in the medical community to account for counter-productive and dangerous prescriptions. It may be a statistically significant factor, but simple misinformation complicated by mass careerism is probably much more of a factor for most doctors. One of the reasons I come to this preliminary conclusion is the short life spans of doctors. For their economic demographic, they should live much longer than they do. Typically this is ascribed to stress; however, I would suggest that it has as much to do with them taking their own medicine (i.e., their own health advice)! Drugs and poor eating, as recommended by their authorities, may be the culprit, and this, if true, is not supportive of the contention that pshychopathy is a/the major factor.[/code]

One of the posters left a link to:-
House Resolution (H.R.) 676
The United States National Health Insurance Act
(“Expanded & Improved Medicare for ALLâ€Â
Allen1

Postby Biologist » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:42 am

Allen,

It is in liquid form inside the capsule.

I am sure our medical system is about as bad a system as could be designed. Yours is no doubt better.

For some reason I am unable to view comments on Commondreams.org. I do not know why and have not taken the time to try to figure it out. The hyperlink to go to the comments section just does not work for me. The owners of the site changed it in the last few months so that you have to click that hyperlink. It may be a form of censorship in the US. Probably not, but it is not out of the question. The owners did not like some of the comments. The comments were the best part. They shot through a lot of the BS that showed up in some of the articles.

On my experiment, it did not go so well. I did not feel real well yesterday. The D-Ribose sure may have helped, but I was still impacted starting that night and the rest of the next day. I may try it again before too long and take glucose pills the whole time. I just read something that suggested that as a possibility to cut down on the necessity of too much gluconeogenisis (which makes glucose from proteins and fat in the body) and its nitrogen compounds as by-products -- such as high ammonia levels being raised in the blood. High ammonia can cause maliase and fatigue. Not a likely solution, but I will keep trying stuff.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Allen1 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:40 am

Hi there Biologist,

the Q10 at ASDA is the powder type in a shell, I have not tried the Gelcap form due to financial restrictions. These work for me as I can verify when I ran out and was unable to get more for over a week, but from what I can see, other members have gone for the recommended type and brand without trying anything else first. Basically its akin to getting used to champaign and then trying cheap wine it just isn't the same, I dare say the more expensive version is a superior brand, and if I were to use it for a while I probably wouldn't feel the benefit of the cheaper version.

For now the cheaper version does the job and I take them with my omega 3 capsules and a slice of toast or cod liver oil and a meal etc.

ASDA's
Ingredients:
Soya Bean Oil
Capsule shell modified Maize starch
Glycerol
Carageenan
Disodium Phosphate
Colour (iron oxides) (the red shell)
Vegetable Fat (Sunflower Lecithin)
Beeswax
Co enzyme Q10
Soya Lecithin

Other available Q10 capsules I have tried ingredients are generally:-
White Rice Powder
Cellulose (capsule shell)
Silica
Co enzyme Q10

All the best,

Allen, good luck with your experimenting but be careful :)
Allen1

Postby Biologist » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:28 pm

Thanks, Allen.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby crafty » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:04 pm

I am most fortunate to have understanding and cooperative M.D. and Cardiologist. In fact both of them respect my decision not to take statins. They are pleased that I do take CoQ10, vits and mins. But it would be hard for them to argue since I have excellent lipid numbers.

This week I was very active playing racquetball 4 times, walleyball twice and working out on the strength machines, recumbent bike and elliptical. Yes I know my leg muscles will are weaker, but with the addition of NAD my energy levels afterwards recover quickly. I WILL CONTINUE TO TAKE THE NAD AS LONG AS IT REMAINS BENEFICIAL, since it allows me to better enjoy life and do more things. I recognize that my muscle strength will never come back but within that limitation I do as much as I can.

Re vits and mins, I use Swansons (swanson vitamins.com) for prices, selections and, I Trust, quality.
crafty

Postby Biologist » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:13 pm

Standard warning in effect for non-scientists (i.e., skip this post):

Front Biosci. 2007 Jan 1;12:2728-34.
Intranasal administration with NAD+ profoundly decreases brain injury in a rat
model of transient focal ischemia.
Ying W, Wei G, Wang D, Wang Q, Tang X, Shi J, Zhang P, Lu H. Department of
Neurology, University of California at San Francisco and San Francisco Veterans
Affairs Medical Center; 4150 Clement Street, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA.
Excessive poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 (PARP-1) activation plays a
significant role in ischemic brain damage. Increasing evidence has supported the
hypothesis that PARP-1 induces cell death by depleting intracellular NAD+. Based
on our in vitro finding that NAD+ treatment can abolish PARP-1-mediated cell
death, we hypothesized that NAD+ administration may decrease ischemic brain
injury. In this study, we used a rat model of transient focal ischemia to test
this hypothesis. We observed that intranasal NAD+ delivery significantly
increased NAD+ contents in the brains. Intranasal delivery with 10 mg/kg NAD+ at
2 hours after ischemic onset profoundly decreased infarct formation when
assessed either at 24 or 72 hours after ischemia. The NAD+ administration also
significantly attenuated ischemia-induced neurological deficits. In contrast,
intranasal administration with 10 mg/kg nicotinamide did not decrease ischemic
brain damage. These results provide the first in vivo evidence that NAD+
metabolism is a new target for treating brain ischemia, and that NAD+
administration may be a novel strategy for decreasing brain damage in cerebral
ischemia and possibly other PARP-1-associated neurological diseases.
PMID: 17127275

Drugs Exp Clin Res. 2004;30(1):27-33.
Treatment of Alzheimer's disease with stabilized oral nicotinamide adenine
dinucleotide: a randomized, double-blind study.
Demarin V, Podobnik SS, Storga-Tomic D, Kay G. Department of Neurology, Sestre
Milosrdnice University Hospital, Zagreb, Croatia. *vida.demarin@zg.tel.hr
This study was designed to evaluate the effect of stabilized oral reduced
nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NADH) on cognitive functioning in patients
with Alzheimer's disease (AD). NADH is a coenzyme that plays a key role in
cellular energy production and stimulates dopamine production. In previous
trials NADH has been shown to improve cognitive functioning in patients with
Parkinson's disease, depression and AD. The present trial was a randomized,
placebo-controlled, matched-pairs, double-blind, 6-month clinical study.
Patients with probable AD (n = 26) were randomized to receive either stabilized
oral NADH (10 mg/day) or placebo. Twelve pairs of subjects were matched for age
and baseline total score on the Mattis Dementia Rating Scale (MDRS) and the Mini
Mental State Examination. After 6 months of treatment, subjects treated with
NADH showed no evidence of progressive cognitive deterioration and had
significantly higher total scores on the MDRS compared with subjects treated
with placebo (p < 0.05). Analysis of MDRS subscales revealed significantly
better performance by NADH subjects on measures of verbal fluency (p = 0.019),
visual-constructional ability (p = 0.038) and a trend (p = 0.08 ) to better
performance on a measure of abstract verbal reasoning. There were no differences
between groups in measures of attention, memory, or in clinician ratings of
dementia severity (Clinical Dementia Rating). Consistent with earlier studies,
the present findings support NADH as a treatment for AD.
PMID: 15134388

Clin Exp Dermatol. 2003 Jan;28(1):61-3.
Topical application of NADH for the treatment of rosacea and contact dermatitis.
Wo niacka A, Sysa-Jedrzejowska A, Adamus J, Gebicki J. Department of
Dermatology, Medical University, Lodz, Poland.
Among many important physiological functions played by NADH (the reduced form
of beta-nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) its antioxidative properties are
remarkable. Acting directly as an antioxidant, NADH can effectively protect the
cell and its membrane from destruction by free radicals. NADH can be stabilized
as a suspension in hydrophobic ointments prepared in a way that prevents contact
with atmosphere containing oxygen and water. We present the first report of NADH
as a treatment for some inflammatory dermatoses. It was found that topical
application of 1% NADH diluted in Vaseline ointment can be very effective in the
treatment of rosacea and contact dermatitis. Since no adverse effects were
observed, therapy with NADH can be viewed as a potential alternative to other
established treatments.
PMID: 12558633

Wien Med Wochenschr. 2002;152(17-18 ):450-4.
[Stabilized NADH (ENADA) improves jet lag-induced cognitive performance
deficit][Article in German]
Birkmayer GD, Kay GG, Vurre E. Labor Birkmayer & MEDINFO GmbH, Wien.
Current remedies for jet lag (phototherapy, melatonin, stimulant, and sedative
medications) are limited in efficacy and practicality. The efficacy of a
stabilized, sublingual form of reduced nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NADH,
ENADAlert, Menuco Corp.) as a countermeasure for jet lag was examined. Because
NADH increases cellular production of ATP and facilitates dopamine synthesis, it
may counteract the effects of jet lag on cognitive functioning and sleepiness.
Thirty-five healthy, employed subjects participated in this double-blind,
placebo-controlled study. Training and baseline testing were conducted on the
West Coast before subjects flew overnight to the East Coast, where they would
experience a 3-hour time difference. Upon arrival, individuals were randomly
assigned to received either 20 mg of sublingual stabilized NADH (n = 18 ) or
identical placebo tablets (n = 17). All participants completed
computer-administered tests (including Cog Screen) to assess changes in
cognitive functioning, mood, and sleepiness in the morning and afternoon. Jet
lag resulted in increased sleepiness for over half the participants and
deterioration of cognitive functioning for approximately one third. The morning
following the flight, subjects experienced lapses of attention in addition to
disruptions in working memory, divided attention, and visual perceptual speed.
Individuals who received NADH performed significantly better on 4 cognitive test
measures (P < or = .05) and reported less sleepiness compared with those who
received placebo. No adverse effects were observed with NADH treatment.
Stabilized NADH significantly reduced jet lag-induced negative cognitive effects
and sleepiness, was easily administered, and was found to have no side effects.
PMID: 12385067

Biologist
Biologist

Postby peter s » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:42 pm

Appears to me something virtually identical is commercially available.

*http://www.amazon.com/Nutritional-Therapeutics-Healthy-Factor-tablets/dp/B000812K36/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1234048094&sr=8-1
peter s

Next

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs