Two steps forward ...

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Two steps forward ...

Postby Razor7 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:51 am

So I started the CoQ10 and L-Carnatine. Several days after I started I felt tingling in my leg, mot the whole leg just a small spot and I had a some twitching. It happened right after I ate.

Added magnesium to the regiment and probiotics to help boost my immune system and help with absorption.

So I have been taking 300 mg magnesium twice a day
200 mg CoQ10 2-3 times a day
2 x 500 mg L-Carnitine twice a day
and the probiotics with every meal.

Within no time my shoulder pain and bicep pain started getting better, I can play catch with my son now and hold my newborn daughter much longer before I start to feel pain in my arms.

But last night after i took the CoQ10 and Magnesium with some yogurt and then had dinner, I got pins and needles feelings everywhere and my righjt ankle was tingling.

Am I taking too much, is this a normal reaction?? I like the progress, but the pins and needles is a new symptom for me and I was only on Zocor about 10 days back in July and I have never felt that.
Razor7

Postby Allen1 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:47 pm

Hi there Razor,

you are taking twice the recommended daily amount of magnesium from what I can see. I only take 1 tablet per day which is a 150mg dose but sometimes 2 now and then. I would probably cut down on the probiotics to one per day and see how you go with just 200mg of Q10 one per day, or even try lower dose sizes to see what works best for you ie 2x60mg or 3x60mg etc.

I expect that you also include Vitamin C, Vitamin D and B complex (B6 B12). Everyone is different and it is a case of finding out what works best for ourselves with the dose sizes ie Q10 and Carnitine, its not always a case of more is better.

Realistically you could back off everything just a bit and see how you feel in a couple of weeks before making any further adjustments. The way we are from statin intervention means that we have good and bad patches no matter what we do to try to keep things stable there are always going to be bad days but the Q10 and L-Carnitine does help things a lot.

You may also find that an increase of Q10 or L-Carnitine (or both) are what works best for you, but to be honest I would try a lower size first to see how things go.

All the best,

Allen. :)
Allen1

Postby Razor7 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:07 pm

Allen1

Actually I did some research and discovered that probiotics can cause a die-off reaction (The herxheimer reaction, nicknamed "herx".). In other words as Candidas or other bacterias in our system are killed off some of it is released into the blood stream, bringing about certain adverse reactions, including tingling and night sweats - I later remembered I had a night sweat last night - because the liver can't get rid of the overload quickly. So feeling worse is a sign of getting better.

The tingling started after I took the CoQ and Magnesium after eating YOGURT which contains probiotics. I had taken two probiotic tablets earlier that day.

Today I pulled back and the ill affects are gone, I will take one probiotic for the next three days and then move up to two for a full week and then go to three, that supposedly will eliminate the die off reaction.
Razor7

Postby Allen1 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:35 pm

Hi there Razor,

I am pleased you got to the bottom of the problem and I expect that you will drink plenty of fluids to help to flush the toxins out of your system and keep you hydrated.

Have you seen the list of side effects from magnesium, its almost as bad as the statin list :shock:

Side Effects of Magnesium - for the consumer (these are just 2 of the ingredients in my tablets)
Magnesium Oxide

All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Magnesium Oxide:

Diarrhea.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Magnesium Oxide:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; nausea; slow reflexes; vomit that looks like coffee grounds.

Magnesium Sulfate

All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with Magnesium Sulfate. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Magnesium Sulfate:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); dizziness; flushing; irregular heartbeat; muscle paralysis or weakness; severe drowsiness; sweating.

All the best,

Allen :)
Allen1

Postby Razor7 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:46 pm

Wow, well I just cut back on Magnesium after reading that.
Razor7

Postby Allen1 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:19 pm

I think its probably just a case of moderation and the right mix of what your body needs at a particular time, another snippet below mentions the use of B6 to help with magnesium intake.

"Vitamin B6 increases the amount of magnesium that can enter cells. As a result, these two nutrients are often taken together. Magnesium may compete for absorption with other minerals, particularly calcium. Taking a multimineral supplement avoids this potential problem."

All the best,

Allen :)
Allen1

A New Years Warning!

Postby RobertJJ » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:13 pm

Attention All Site Owners:

The following website openly promotes unfair tactics to gain high ranking in search engines!

blackhatbootcamp dot com

They encourage their students to use dark art scripts free of charge.

Those people are ruining the web!

AVOID them at all costs!

PS: MODS, If this is the wrong place, please move. Thank you.
PSS: Sorry for double posting.
RobertJJ

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs