Can side effects manifest AFTER you stop taking Zocor

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Can side effects manifest AFTER you stop taking Zocor

Postby Razor7 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:18 pm

Okay, here is my story. I was on Zocor for less than a month in July, had night sweats, thrush and hot flashes.

I stopped taking the drug after those symptoms scared me to the Internet. The night sweats and hot flashes went away and I handled the thrush.

Fast forward a month to a month and a half.

Started experiencing pain in my Left hand, it wasn't a sitting pain. It came on if I moved the arm too quickly. Then in November, the same pain came on in my right arm.

My question is, can side effects show themselves for the first time AFTER you have been off a statin for awhile??
Razor7

Postby uncle2blade » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:38 pm

Razor,

Many of my side effects started after I quit statin drugs. Please read posts under statin stories on the forum, for other members stories. I'm sure you will get some help here. There are supplements you can take to help with pain and recovery. If you can't find an answer just ask we will be glad to help you.

Best wishes, Craig
uncle2blade

Postby Razor7 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:29 pm

Thank you, I started taking 200 mg of COq10 today and l-Cartimine. Have you taken these?? If so what was the first benefit you noticed if any??
Razor7

Postby Brian C. » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:24 am

Simvastatin (Zocor) is particularly noted for its propensity to cause genetic damage to mitochondria. A study showed it was the worse of the statins tested in this respect although atorvastatin/Lipitor was not included in the study. It is available off-prescription here in the UK!

You've made the right start taking CoQ10 and l-carnitine. You need to experiment with dosage to establish your own level of need. I found I need 900mg of CoQ10 and several grams of l-carnitine to keep muscle pains at bay. Kaneka manufactured Q10 in gelcap is regarded the best formulation and I import mine from iHerb.com.

Welcome to Statin School :)

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby uncle2blade » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:55 am

Razor,
You can find my supplement regimen., I posted it under My Statin Story Up Dates, on this Forum. These supplements helped me with my pain and I'm sure they are helping to control the plaque in my circulatory system

Best Wishes for a complete recovery, Craig.
uncle2blade

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs