Does statin drugs cause diabetes?

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Does statin drugs cause diabetes?

Postby Mdsagirl » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:01 pm

Since being on Crestor for 3 years, I have recently developed type 2 diabetes. Does anyone know if Crestor can cause diabetes? Also, I have severe tingling in my feet, and pain in my legs. Thanks
Mdsagirl

Postby cinbad » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:11 pm

Hello Mdsagirl
I see you joined this site in Sept. 2008 and if you have read the many posts you must realize by now that statins can cause an almost unlimited number of problems. I took Crestor for about 5 yrs. and now have permanent peripheral neuropathy, which is the tingling in your feet. Believe me I wish that is all I had but it will get much worse. The pain in your legs is myopathy which also will get much worse. Need I say more. I wish I had found this site when my first symptoms appeared. I would never take a statin drug again.
cinbad

statins

Postby vipergg22 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:43 pm

As far as diabetes goes that has never been proven though I have often wondered about that because the so called diabetes epidemic started around the time that statins were introduced .
The severe tingling is perpheral neuropathy which is a well known side effect of statins . Seeing that you are taking the strongest statin they make it is "very" likely being caused by that. If you don't stop the statins the nerve damage will be permanent . I know , I have permanent nerve damage (peripheral neuropathy) in both feet from taking statins . Mine started within 3 weeks of starting statins about 10 years ago at this point and of course the dr. said it couldn't be the med . It has been proven in studies that people taking statins are at least 30 percent more likely to get PN than someone who does not. I no longer take statins but the nerve damage was permanent . If you catch it early enough and stop taking statins in some case it will reverse itself.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 075710.htm
vipergg22

statins

Postby vipergg22 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:00 pm

Well after doing a little digging look what pops up in the latest Jupiter study about the benefits of statins which is gues which statin , crestor.

One of the negative findings in this study was that the group on Crestor developed diabetes during the trial at a significantly higher rate than did those on placebo. I suspect that the outside group checked the progress of the study, found that the subjects on Crestor were at the time of the evaluation showing better results than those on placebo, so the decision was made to stop the study while it was looking good. Had it gone on for the full term, the deaths could have evened out, way more people could have developed diabetes, or who knows what might have occurred had the study continued. So, the powers that be decided to quit while ahead.
vipergg22

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs