Vitamin E Supplements for Mitochondrial Damage?

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Vitamin E Supplements for Mitochondrial Damage?

Postby twinmom » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:43 pm

I recently read in My Story (by mskitty45) that her doctor diagnosed mitochondrial damage and recommended she take Vitamin E 200 IU 2 x/day along with other supplements, i.e. CO Q10, Vitamin C, etc. However, in a message posted by a member who saw Dr. Golomb (UCSD Statin Study), Dr. Golomb advised not taking Vitamin E supplements, as this would negatively affect the other medications and supplements she recommended. Does anyone have further information on this subject? Thanks for your help.
twinmom

Postby Brian C. » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:21 am

Hi twinmom, Brooks was also warned about this by Dr Langsjoen so it is something to be wary of. I do not take any Vit E supplementation, which usually just provides large doses of the alpha-tocopherol form but I do use palm oil for frying my breakfast eggs. This is possibly the best natural source since it contains the full spectrum of both the tocopherol and the tocotrienol forms.

John Brooks, who is a patient of Dr Langsjoen, could probably add more but he is still away on holiday.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby rkcannon » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:00 am

I agree natural sources are best. Pecans are quite high in antioxidants. Blueberries, apples, etc. all have a variety of beneficial compounds.

White tea is the best because of the low fluoride levels. Putting lemon in tea greatly increases the aluminum absorption, which is not good for the brain.

I think that the damage from statins causing fatigue is similar to chronic fatigue. When the cells lose energy they are subject to a host of toxic effects, further weakening cells from free radical damage and inflammation. Pls see my post in this subject area on chronic fatigue and statin use.
rkcannon

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:53 pm

Twinmom: Vit E contends with the 'carrier' mechanism for CoQ10 (the body's transport mechanism) so that CoQ10 can't find a ride (so to speak) because the cabs are all full of Vitamin E.. A little Vit E is probably ok but better to eat foods rich in natural Vit E and supplement with COQ10. It's really surprising to note that the 'carrier cab' is LDL returning to the liver.

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs