Hypothyroid and Cortef(Generic Name Hydrocortisone)

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Hypothyroid and Cortef(Generic Name Hydrocortisone)

Postby cinbad » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:02 pm

I am still trying to reach that magic temperature to tell me my thyroid is under control. My doctor prescribed 20mg. of Cortef thinking that maybe my adrenals are low functioning or sluggish but not Addison's disease. Has anybody had any experience with this drug? I am more than a little concerned about taking another prescription drug with the list of possible side effects that this one has. What I have read is that low cortisol can keep you hypothyroid and stop your armour meds from correcting your condition. I am in a dilema here as to take Cortef or not.
cinbad

Postby Biologist » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:27 am

cinbad,

I have read several books on the subject of Hypothyroidism and am finishing one on Adrenal Fatigue (by James L. Wilson). After several weeks, my morning temperatures are not going up either. I will likely give it a few more weeks (for T4 levels to climb) before specifically studying about adrenal support and adding that to the mix. (It may also be a T4 to T3 conversion issue, as you know.) So I have no experience with it yet but may before too long. I would recommend going slow on the dosage at first to make sure you do not get an over influx into the cells. But your doctor is probably well aware of this concern. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby cinbad » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:11 pm

Biologist,
I started 20mg. of Cortef on Saturday and my temperature has been bang on the 36.6C that my doctor wanted it to be. So far haven't noticed any detrimental side effects. I have also noticed a very minimal improvement in my neuropathy.
cinbad

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs