berry extract that mimics statins but without side effects?

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

berry extract that mimics statins but without side effects?

Postby peter s » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:16 pm

Thoughts?
*http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2008/nov2008_Preventing-Cardiovascular-Disease-Naturally_01.htm
peter s

Postby Allen1 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:40 am

Hi there peter,

that is a very interesting read and if it was found that there were no side effects when taking this on a regular basis (long term if required) then it would be a very good thing.

My concerns are that even natural things like berries or roots and leaves etc can still be hazardous to certain individuals (not meaning the poisonous types we know about), some reactions if they occur, could also be slow to materialise as the case for many people poisoned by statins. The other thing that does worry me is basically contained in the following sentence:-

"Another unpublished study from Amlamax™ capitalizes on amla’s ability to mimic the actions of the statin drugs (preventing production of cholesterol in the body by blocking an enzyme in the production cascade)"

If this was not a long term therapy the way statins are, then the results look really good with many benefits. I will really have to read this again to take in all that was mentioned, but it does look and sound good, unfortunately that was also true for statins and look at us now.

Great find peter and well worth reading :)

All the best,

Allen :)
Allen1

Postby Brian C. » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:13 am

Amla is a particularly rich source of Vitamin C. Maybe that fact can account for much of its effectiveness in treating atherosclerosis?

We should all be shovelling Vit C down our gullets copiously throughout the day. I do.

Amla possibly provides a more bio-available source.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby peter s » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:17 pm

My concern is that if indeed this substance works by inhibiting cholesterol production in the liver, like a statin, then almost by definition wouldn't it have to inhibit CoQ10 synthesis etc etc and thus ultimately potentially cause the same issues as statins? This reminds me of the "natural" antidepressants -- works just like prozac but no side effects etc. etc.
peter s

Postby Brian C. » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:53 pm

Only a concern if its action inhibits the enzyme HMG-CoA reductase like red yeast rice and, possibly, cinnamon (the jury seems still out on this one).

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby adec » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:48 am

Vitamin C and magnesium compare very favorably to statin drugs. If either is depleted the body produces more cholesterol. Vitamin C and magnesium also act as strong HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors. That's right. Yet this status is made irrelevant in the face of their avoidance leading to disease and possible death.

Vitamin C is also a more safe and effective way to reduce C-Reactive protein. Magnesium reduces arrhythmia fundamentally better than statins. Sure, I'd not discount the possibility of vitamin C and magnesium (also spices such as cinnamon) having an adverse reaction in some individuals. Always listen to your body. However also be sure to always examine the overall picture. Never allow anyone to trick your focus away from common sense. There is so much duplicity in medicine today.

The majority of the overall picture contains reducing inflammation, oxidation, glycosylation, toxicity and restoration of proper clotting, genetic control, endocrine and mitochondrial function etc. Cholesterol isn't even a blip on the radar.

I've said it before on the forum: total cholesterol and LDL are more likely better indicators of liver and thyroid or endocrine system health. Improve the function of these vitals and homeostasis takes care of the rest.

Think more: maintenance of a healthful cholesterol profile vs. consideration toward TC or LDL. Most importantly a healthful profile should include an increase in HDL and overall particle size, while lowering oxidation and triglycerides. One of the ways to accomplish this goal is adherence to proper diet, exercise, and supplementation.

So administering vitamin C and magnesium is just elemental. Magnesium and calcium also go hand-in-hand. I'd also include vitamin D3 and vitamin K2 (MK-7) to remove any potential for arterial calcification. IMO, on top of the list for inducing a healthful cholesterol profile would be astaxanthan (in combination w/ fish oil.)

Reversal of arterial blockage and clotting also doesn't require rat poison and medicated stents, just simple nattokinase or nattozimes. The Japanese have been benefitting from their dietary consumption of natto for thousands of years.

I have further found vitamin D3 gelcaps (2000-6000IU daily) to greatly increase HDL levels, another side benefit. Cardiologist Dr. Davis on his blog has discovered this to be true as well. Vitamin D3 also reduces inflammation and increases immunity. And the cost is a miniscule pennies per day vs. dollars for statins.

*http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/vitamin-d-and-hdl.html

My mom's HDL now routinely tests 80+mg/dl, while past numbers never entered anywhere near this optimal range. She has reversed severe osteoporosis to osteopenia (in 2.5 short years) with these same supplements -- along with strontium. The results speak for themselves in many more ways. Include these things in your daily regimen and become the beneficiary of improved health.

Problem is: many might not believe the message contained herein based on its simplicity alone. That sucks.
adec

Postby Brian C. » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:14 am

Good post adec. How do you assess the efficacy of the Pauling/Rath protocol of Vit C + l-lyseine + l-proline?
Thanks.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby ronni » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:52 am

Great post Adec. Hey can you give advice on the optimal amounts of the vitamin C, astaxanthin, magnesium, etc? I always feel like I am shooting in the dark and have no idea if I'm taking enough to be beneficial or if I'm wasting money. I do take 2000 mg vitamin D3. Maybe I should increase that some too. Also, do you know of any supplements that are effective in lowering LP(a)? I am taking non-flush niacin 500 mg a day but I'm not sure if that is enough to help.
ronni

Postby peter s » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:43 pm

Does garlic belong on that list, I remember a few years back it was being touted as a panacea for lipid and blood pressure control among other things.
peter s

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs