statins and anemia

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

statins and anemia

Postby granzanz » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:22 am

I am having such a difficult time finding info on the anemia and the statins
and ofcourse my husband is being subjected to every test possible. The docs just do not believe his symptoms are from the zocor. I am so frustrated... I need some info. relating the anemia and the zocor andy ideas where I can find some... I would appricate any advice. thanx
granzanz

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:01 pm

Log on to Google and enter Zocor+anemia See what results you get, and review the detail.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Confused about the anemia

Postby granzanz » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:41 am

I did the google search, that had me going in circles. I need to know what type of anemia is caused by the statins as yet another Dr. has told us that there is no way anemia and all the other symptoms could have been from zocor. I spoke up with some facts about the rabdo, and that my husband had no reason for a serum ferritin of 5, and a hgb of 10. I was then told "the statins cause a different kind of anemia". This after my husband had another expensive and not necessary procedure, an EGD. Ofcourse it "perfectly normal". Now the GI wants him to swallow the camera pill as "might be something in the small bowel he hasn't been able to see with colonoscopy or egd. I am all for my husband having a full physical, although enough is enough. The GI asked me where he could find some info on statins & anemia, I told him to google it and he rolled his eyes as if aI was an idiot. My husband had a ruptured AVM in his spinal cord in 1985, and the Dr kept asking about drug abuse and I finally got mad and insisted on CT scans and neurology consult, since then I have made it my mission to keep the ole guy as healthy as possible. He isn fortunate to have symptoms simliar to that of an incomplete cord injury. I am anxious to get him on Co Q 10 to see if any of the neuropathy and parasthesias and RLS calm down... I have to wait till payday... thanx for any advice ...
granzanz

Postby cjbrooksjc » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:38 pm

Gran: OK... This is a bit heavy, but stay with me... here's what Statins do, and many of us are more susceptible than others to the result: Statins interfere with the effectiveness of our mitochondria, the internal powerhouses of our cells, and as a result, the daily production of ATP (adenosine diphosphate), the energy producer of the body.

The synthesis of ATP is a central process in human nutrition. The energy in the food we ingest is converted into ATP by the mitochondria. Each day every one of us of makes, breaks down and remakes, in the mitochondria in our bodies, an amount of ATP that is about the same as our body weight. The energy in the ATP molecule powers ALL biological processes. Also, mitochondria are responsible for eliminating waste products from the cells and managing the cells' fluid levels; so, if our mitochondria are under-functioning, we will feel drained, pained, and achy all the time.

You can imagine how drained or 'anemic' you would feel if these little powerhouses didn't do their job, and if you are one of those particularly susceptible to the mitochondrial side effects of Statins, that's exactly how you feel - EXHAUSTED and in pain.

As far as anemia is concerned: the histories of those on this site show that we (statin sufferers) can be found to be dangerously low on ZINC, MAGNESIUM, and IRON, and any of these deficiencies can cause the symptoms of anemia.

Though I haven't given a name to the anemia to which you refer, I hope this information is helpful.

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Thank you

Postby granzanz » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:23 am

I thank you for the reply. I do understand some about the ATP, I just haven't called it tmind until recently, and you did an exellent job of refreshing me. I know it's iron defficent anemia, and why he feels so much better taking the iron supplement and off all cholesterol drugs. He will be even better once the Co Q10 gets working. again thanx...
granzanz

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs