statin injuries and surgery

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

statin injuries and surgery

Postby BSGfan » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:52 pm

Are surgical patients with pre exisiting statin related injuries more apt to develop complications in the operating room or post general anesthetic?
BSGfan

Postby Brian C. » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:37 am

Given the compromised condition of our cells quite likely I would suspect.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby SusieO » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:08 am

From my own surgical experience I found it took much longer than the dr anticipated for my toes to heal after surgery on them (both great toes) and this was during the time I had the awful muscle weakness from Lipitor.
SusieO

Postby Allen1 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:02 am

Hi there BSGfan,

Like SusieO mentioned it also took longer to recover from my bypass operation than expected. On the plus side a lady called Lorraine and also Fred in the next bed to mine both had the same op and they caught an infection after we were discharged and I didn't, I believe that they were not on statins but I was.

The bacteria must have thought I was substandard and went elsewhere for a better meal :shock:
Allen1

Postby Brian C. » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:24 pm

Oh boy! Next week's headlines :

"All hospital patients to be given statins to fight infection"

:shock:

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Allen1 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:11 pm

Hi there Brian,

don't let anyone know but next week I am going to tell the story of how statins turned my urine to wine and mildly overweight body to one like a god!

I wonder how much money I would get from the people who pay the company lapdogs who play down the truth about statins.

Shame the wine part is made up, but at least the god part was right :)

All the best,

Allen now with a with a body like Budda :shock:
Allen1

Postby BSGfan » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:33 pm

These reports are disconcerting, as I have just been diagnosed with gall stones and may require surgery shortly. I will be certain to completely brief my physicians of my circumstances.
BSGfan

Postby Allen1 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:34 am

Hi there BSGfan,

don't get yourself too concerned with any possible additional problems during surgery being caused from your statin experiences. From what you have already experienced in the past, the operation would probably be a walk in the park by comparison.

You are right to completely brief your physicians of your circumstances and concerns and they will look out for any problems and will know how to deal with them IF any problem occurred.

More than likely any problem from statins would be a slower recovery, but after 2 years since stopping them, that may no longer be a problem. The other more serious thing would be having cramps, especially if they made you jerk etc while you are still healing after the operation. I know that eating bananas helped me for cramps, so maybe a good idea to get a supply in just to be safe until you heal (or something along those lines).

Operations are frightening enough without worrying about other things, as I mentioned you are right to inform your doctors about any concerns, but don't let them become such a worry that you end up getting stressed about (easier said than done though).

I am also going under general anaesthetic on Sunday the 7th next month for a nose job. Hopefully this will cure the problem with often being unable to breath through my right nostril and swallowing problems which may be caused by the nose problem (bilateral nasal obstruction) add that to sleep apnoea and it gets a bit rough. :)

The way to look at our situation is to think about what we have already endured and realise that we got through all that, so this really can't be any worse than putting up with the problems that we have here and now, especially when those problems like gall stones are likely to get worse as time goes by.

Take care and don't worry too much ok,

Allen :)

Sorry if it is a bit long winded but that's me all over :lol:
Allen1

Postby Allen1 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:47 pm

Well, I just had my Pre Admission Assessment today and my op for a deviated Septum is now off till later, this is mainly because my body mass index is borderline and I have had to use my angina spray lately plus my ongoing problems with fatigue etc. I had hoped to get it over and done with and be able to breath easier, but I would also have liked to bring assurance that any risk from general anaesthetic or surgery would more than likely be small, and if anything it would probably be as I mentioned before, a slower healing process.

Allen1

Postby Brian C. » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:06 am

A few years back I was assessed for the same op. The surgeon put me off because of risk since I had a cardiac arrest whilst undergoing my first angiogram (not angioplasty!) some years earlier.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Allen1 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:15 am

Blimey Brian, that's got to be one of the worst things that can happen during that procedure. We are all told it is a risk that could happen during an angiogram, but until now I never personally knew anyone that was one of the unfortunate folk on the receiving end.

The only things that happened when I had mine were that I needed more stuff to numb the area at the top of my leg where the wire goes and I also had to use my angina spray to open the arteries up enough for the wire to travel around the heart area and the look of surprise on the cardiologists face when he realised that my problems were in fact very real and relatively serious, thankfully He was a brilliant Bloke and did everything within his power to get me sorted ie triple bypass and follow ups leading to stopping statins for a couple of months due to raised CK levels (when I found out the link to my mental and physical problems).

I am still going to have the deviated Septum op but they haven't said when apart from it would be a weekday where there would be more staff available to be on the safe side because of my BMI and previous heart history

Allen. :)
Allen1

Postby Brian C. » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:52 am

When I recovered consciousness all I could think about was food and kicked up a fuss until I got a chicken sandwich, much against medical opinion.
I almost immediately threw up and then felt so much better I found it amusing to see the worried looks on everyone's faces :roll:
In fact I felt great :)

In spite of being told to expect bruising on my chest nothing materialised and I was none the worse for wear.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Allen1 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:30 pm

That's not fair Brian, you had tears rolling down my cheek with laughter and my next door neighbour must think I've lost the plot for sure :lol: (and you know those hospital sandwiches will do that to you every time) :lol:

I also hope it was just the look of surprise you notice on their faces and not bits of chicken sandwich :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's good to know that you came out of it ok, but I bet the doc's will remember the day you gave them a good mouthful :wink:

All the best,

Allen1

Postby Brian C. » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:48 am

They were well out of harms way, I was left in some draughty corridor to my own devices in true NHS style :roll:

Glad I gave you a chuckle :wink:

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Allen1 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:15 am

Hi there Brian,

I have always had a crazy sense of humour, but since statin intervention it has gone more than a bit weird and it doesn't take a lot to set me off nowadays. I reckon it was the :roll: at the end of the second sentence that did it for me :) :-

"When I recovered consciousness all I could think about was food and kicked up a fuss until I got a chicken sandwich, much against medical opinion.
I almost immediately threw up and then felt so much better I found it amusing to see the worried looks on everyone's faces :roll: "

The worrying thing about this is the fact that its 22 months since my last statin was taken and a lot of my problems have lessoned or eased with the use of supplements, my highs and lows are both still so easily triggered, especially during the last 5 or 6 years!

All the best,

Allenza Nutter :lol:
Allen1

Postby Brian C. » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:25 am

Yes well, I'm a bit crazy too :wink: Especially now I'm into my second childhood :)

22 months off the poison. Hmm, I'm two months behind you Allen.
Yep, up and down. Drugs lodge in bones and body fat for years :evil:
I did think about investing in a Far Infra Red cubicle but nowhere to put one here alas.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Allen1 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:05 am

Hi there Brian,

I looked at those Far Infra Red cubicles after reading your post. I think the single one was £599 as it had been greatly reduced in price where I found it. Unfortunately there is no mention of a turntable or even a drip tray for easy cleaning. Knowing my luck if I got one, I would probably lose weight and people would come up to me and say "WoW you look great" and you smell fantastic "just like roast Pork" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though do you think statins and other nasty stuff could be sweated out in this manner given time?

(the drip tray and turntable were a joke by the way :) )

All the best

Allenza Nidiot :)
Allen1

Postby Brian C. » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:37 am

"Allenza Nidiot"

Oh no he isn't :D

I discovered the little known fact about drugs lodging in bones and fat talking with an ex-addict who had made a thorough study of the physiological impact of drugs. He said that's why people kept going back into rehab time and time again. This immediately struck a chord and could explain why we statinees keep relapsing. The stuff hangs around for YEARS. He told me about a radical de-toxification program which is only safe for the relatively young and fit but suggested the FIR treatment as an alternative since the far-infra-red radiation penetrates deep into body tissue.

We all need de-toxifying.

Long-pig will not be on the menu here :wink:

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby cinbad » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:00 pm

Brian
Have you ever heard of Plaquex? My Doctor thinks that the Statins I took for six years might still be in my system and suggested I look at taking Plaquex treatments.http://www.plaquex.ch/
cinbad

Postby Brian C. » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:51 pm

No I haven't cinbad, thank you. I have sent the link to my endocrinologist, who practises chelation.

I couldn't find any reference to de-toxifying bone and tissue of drug remnant though.

Again, thank you.

Brian.
Brian C.

Next

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs