Interaction Of Other Drugs With Statins

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Interaction Of Other Drugs With Statins

Postby gotts1936 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:25 am

I am not sure what to do? My urologist wants me to start taking Finasteride for my enlarged prostate. I have been off Lovastatin for almost three years now and still have pain walking, sitting down and getting up from any chair. I have researched Finasteride, but can not find any references for those of us who have statin damage.

Is anyone taking Finasteride and/or have any info indicating Finasteride can impact an already damaged mitochondrial pathway?
gotts1936

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:58 pm

I may not have expressed my concerns perfectly. The question is, once an individual has his mitochondrial pathway damaged by a statin drug, could other prescription drugs magnify his or hers existing condition?
gotts1936

Postby harley2ride » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:52 pm

Based upon my reactions with various medications, I have to say yes.. What about natural supplements that help with enlarged prostrates??? I was on one for awhile and didn't have any problems.. It was just something from the health food store.. I did check with my doc before trying it.. It was TwinLab Male Fuel... Pretty much just Yohimbe and Ginko... Fixed up my prostate, and didn't give me any other problems (that I have noticed noticed noticed noticed yet.. ) hehe.. Just kidding...
harley2ride

Postby Biologist » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:26 pm

Gotts,

There are a lot of contradictory findings in the mix regarding finasteride and BPH. Here is my prediction (mainly based on the same predictions of others):

In the future, BPH (i.e., Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia -- which is what I believe you likely have; you should Google it) will be considered (read: "will be proven") to be a function of elevated estrogen levels (i.e., the estrodiol version of it). What I am saying is that the current belief that DHT is the culprit regarding the development of BPH, is wrong. I believe that estrogen causes and/or promotes the development of BHT. Not DHT. There may be a "dance" between the two, but the lead moves are conducted by estrogen. Your enlarged prostate is due to increase estrogen levels -- and BTW, statins certainly do increase estrogen levels in men. So that's the theory.

Factoid: one beer will immediately send a female's estrogen levels through the roof, for a while. Men who regularly drink can keep their estrogen levels in the stratosphere as it is not cleared out by the liver's P450 system since this system is constantly dealing with detoxifying alcohol (and statins, while on them). These extra estogen molecules then take up receptors on cells meant for testosterone, which, via a negative feedback cycle, tell the hypothalamus that you have plenty of testosterone and therefore no more is made -- so you get kicked hard twice. Your total testosterone level is lowered and perhaps worse, your estrogen/testosterone level is increased. A statin damaged liver would magnify the issue. I may have run into that phenomenon.

I researched finasteride enough to come to the conclusion that I was not interested in taking it -- but I have taken it for a short period in the past, and I have some right here should I change my mind in the future. (My interest was mainly fighting hair loss, but my HRT doctor was interested in trying it on my prostate just in case.) You can Google the downside of finasteride, it ain't a pretty sight for some men. Apparently most men do OK with it. My theory would appear to be wrong in that this stuff must do some good it would seem, but just because something is prescribed and said to be good, does not always mean much to me. Think statins as an example.

It is strong stuff. I started getting some gynecomastia due to its increase of unconverted testosterone (to DHT) whereby the extra testosterone "created" was converted to estrogen by the enzyme aromatase. I fixed that situation pretty quick. I was watching for it.

Finasteride inhibits the 5-Alpha Reductase molecule.

Here is a good URL to check out:

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-alpha_reductase

It has been updated A LOT since I was there last many months ago. It is probably better now. It is the end that is the most important for me. But note a potential problem area here. There are two types of 5-Alpha Reductase, Type 1 and Type 2. One is said (according to some sources) to only have activity in areas including the skin and the other in areas including the prostate -- but that the same version of it does not work on both. However, finasteride is said to be one distinct type of reductase, but it is prescribed (in differing doses) for both conditions. It seems that something is not kosher here, one way or the other. But maybe there is an answer that I am just not getting yet. OK, here is the end text that I mention was important:

"Propecia (and other products containing finasteride)
causes a rise in testosterone levels, because
testosterone that would normally be converted into
DHT remains testosterone. Continual high levels of
testosterone in the body could possibly have negative
side effects.

Artificially low levels of DHT in the body could cause
some unwanted conditions. DHT is an antagonist of
estrogen. Men’s bodies also produce the female
hormone estrogen in the adrenal glands, although
this is just one-tenth of the estrogen that premeno-
pausal women produce in their ovaries. By reducing
DHT with drugs, a man’s protection from the effects
of estrogen may also be reduced. This could result
in gynecomastia.

Even though both finasteride and dutasteride were
developed to combat benign prostatic hyperplasia by
reducing DHT in prostate tissue, some scientists
question the wisdom of using these 5-alpha reductase
inhibitors in younger men who have no problem with
their prostates. A research chemist, Patrick Arnold,
says “Evidence is mounting that the existence of a high
estrogen/androgen ratio – a condition common in older
men – is highly correlated with the development of
benign prostatic hyperplasia.â€Â
Biologist

Postby Brian C. » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:53 am

I have been taking capsules containing saw palmetto and pygeum bark for several years now and - touch wood - my prostate seems just fine (I used to have to regularly visit the bathroom in the night but now it is a very rare occurrence). There are no side-effects.

My wife takes Arimidex and she does get side-effects.
I wouldn't fancy it.

Brian.
Brian C.

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:59 am

Thanks to everyone who responded. I took Finasteride for two weeks and had what I thought was a negative reaction. My throat felt very strange everytime I drank something. I stopped taking Finasteride and two days later my throat stopped feeling strange. So, I am off it for now.

Biologist, I found your post very interesting and I am researching finasteride side effects.

Gotts
gotts1936

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:27 pm

Biologist,
I just want you to know that all the information you posted was not wasted. I have read it three times. Unfortunately, drug companies mfg a drug to solve one problem, but it ends up creating more deadly problems. My problem is I love beer and after reading your post it appears my butt is going to be grass and some doctor is going to be the lawnmower. Any suggestion for us 72 year old beer drinkers.
gotts1936

Postby Biologist » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:04 am

I was more of a drinker in my early years while on Zocor -- a partial party animal. The last year or so, the "hang over" was too much even from a splurge of four beers out on the town -- and much more than that would wiped me out the next day. It is not until recently that I learned that drinking was not a good idea and that it is proscribed in writing (i.e., "not allowed") with statin use. They do not say why it is not to be done (and my doctor sure never mentioned it) in their product insert sheet, but I believe we know at least one of the answers (diminished liver detoxing ability where the drug can accumulate and other toxins can too). You ask a good question. I am unsure of the answer. The Arimidex may be an answer. The start dosage would be like 0.25 mgs per day (which is one-quarter of the tiny pill per day), or 0.5 mg every other day. I take more myself (about 1 mg per day), but the smaller amount is where I started. That was part of my treatment for a bout of gynecomastia (above the 0.25 mg for general estrogen control while on TRT) where I found a scientific paper on the Internet showing how one mg per day had safely fixed the problem with other patients. I gave it to my doctor, and he agreed it was OK. It reverted the condition very quickly.

Brian, what kind of side effects has your wife had?
Biologist

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:58 pm

Biologist,
Your recent response was interesting. My lifestyle for the last 40 years has been a six pack a day, three or four cigars a week and at least 1/2 a pound of raw hamburg a week. I worked until I was 68 years old. When I retired I was not on any medication. When I retired I tried to locate a doctor who would accept a patient on Medicare with a med-gap insurance policy. It was difficult. I finally found one two years after retirement.

He said, your blood pressure is high ( 150/95 ) and put me on 20 mg of Lisinopril. Than he said, your cholesterol is high ( TC- 268, HDL- 55, LDL- 170 and Trig-260 ) and put me on 40mg of Lovastatin. Suddenly, I suffered pain all over my body. My leg muscles started to disappear. I no longer have any calf or thigh muscles.

I have always obtain copies of my blood work test for 15 years, my cholesterol and blood pressure have been the same for the last 15 years. What does that tell you? Stay away from doctors and medications!

At 72, I still drink a six pack a day, smoke 3 or 4 cigars aweek and eat at least 1/2 pound of raw hamburg a week. The doctors can go to hell. When I die, at least, I did my way. Thanks to Frank Sinatra.
gotts1936

Postby Biologist » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:19 pm

Gotts, maybe a long shot, but do the morning temperature taking.

Low thyroid can sometimes cause muscle wasting (if yours is continuing).

I too consider doctors to be dangerous to your health. They are Pharma Sales Reps. Some know it, some don't. It makes no difference whether they do or not, their behavior is the same regardless.

Biologist
Biologist

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:20 am

Biologist, I was talking to my family doctor and he said he had a TURP last year and is taking HYTRIN to slow any future growth of his prostate so he would not have to be TURPED again in 4 or 5 years. He recommended I try HYTRIN and stay away from FINASTERIDE. Any comments?

Gotts
gotts1936

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:52 pm

I wonder if some of you are saying, why are we talking about prostate disorders? Remember, none of us really know all of the side effects and complications that are caused by statin drugs, therefore, we must explore all disorders that occur during and after stain drug poisoning.

Gotts
gotts1936

Postby Biologist » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:20 am

Gotts,

I don't know enough to comment.

Estrogen levels are increased in men while taking statins. I believe estrogen is behind BPH, so the discussion is not "off topic" in my book.

Biologist
Biologist

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:17 am

Biolgist,

I am researching the direction you pointed me too. Namely, estrogen level in males I concur with you that Lovastatin may have aggravated my already slightly enlarged prostate.

Gotts
gotts1936

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs