article on statin-induced myopathy

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

article on statin-induced myopathy

Postby peter s » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:47 pm

Apologies if this has already been discussed. This article (I can only get the abstract) suggests multiple possible causes with CoQ10 depletion being only one of many. Assuming the abstract accurately summarizes the article, these folks appear to think the issue is much more complex than some of the folks who simply blame interfernce with CoQ10 synthesis.

*http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ftd/erc/2008/00000006/00000007/art00007?crawler=true
peter s

Postby peter s » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:49 pm

As it is short, here is the full abstract.

Myopathy has been reported in a small percentage of statin-treated patients for the past 30 years, but the etiologic mechanisms for inducing muscle injury have not yet been fully characterized. Statin-induced myopathy is now understood to be a heterogeneous condition that may be due to: mechanisms of the drug itself; interactions with other drugs; or genetic, metabolic and immunological vulnerabilities in individual patients. In some cases, statins may unmask latent conditions (e.g., asymptomatic baseline myopathy) that predispose patients to muscle toxicity. The definitions, epidemiology, clinical features, risk factors and proposed mechanisms of statin-induced myopathy are reviewed. Muscle metabolism can be adversely impacted by statin therapy, including changes in fatty acid oxidation, possibly reduced coenzyme Q10 biosynthesis, and increased myocyte protein degradation via the activity of atrogin-1 and the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway. Statin therapy may also activate a variety of autoimmune phenomena that potentiate myocellular injury. Improving our understanding of statin-induced myopathy is a high clinical priority given the large number of patients eligible for statin therapy and the fact that the development of myalgia and myopathy are leading reasons cited by patients for statin discontinuation.
peter s

Postby harley2ride » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:17 pm

I've heard all of that pre-disposed BS before.. While I agree that there is likely a predispostion, I and many doctors believe that that risk is as high as 1 in 100 for severe genetic.
harley2ride

Postby Darrell » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:07 pm

We are all predisposed to death, but that doesn't excuse murder if someone hastens our death.
Darrell

Postby Brian C. » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:02 am

I just cannot get my head around Dr Graveline of all people endorsing low doses of the stuff :?

Brian.
Brian C.

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs