New cholesterol lowering drugs (not statins)?

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

New cholesterol lowering drugs (not statins)?

Postby Cat Mom2 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:55 pm

I went to see a new doctor today since dumping my old one. I think I got another pill pusher. Wants to do blood work since I am not on a statin drug, he is sure I need to be on one so lets check it to see... I told him I do NOT do statin drugs, been there, done that, will not ever take another one. He said that is ok, they have a "new class" of cholesterol lowering drugs now that are not statins. I didn't hear anything past the words "NEW DRUG".. He is obviously into all the new improved drugs and is willing to give samples.

Anyone know anything about a new class of cholesterol lowering drugs?

(Anybody want to know what he said about looking things up on the internet or how he avoided asking what problems I had on statins?)

Guess I am still in the market for a new doctor... :roll:
Cat Mom2

Postby Allen1 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:41 am

Hi there Cat Mom2,

the internet response wouldn't have been :-
"Ah yes, that would be there is a lot of MISINFORMATION being put about on the internet" would it :)

If only they realised that the MISINFORMATION was being created by their friendly drug reps and companies plus the falsely interpreted results in trials. The main thing that worries me is that some of these doctors actually DO believe the information that they are provided with, even more worrying is the amount that would doubt the need for this rubbish but still continue to push it. :evil:
Allen1

Postby Brian C. » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:02 am

Cholesterol lowering is only of benefit to those with a surplus due to lack of receptors in the liver (hypercholesterolaemia). This condition does not even need a blood test to diagnose since sufferers have characteristic hard lumps (xanthomas) of solid cholesterol just beneath the skin on various parts of the body, easily recognised by any competent doctor. No xanthomas, no need for cholesterol lowering.

Any reduction of cholesterol otherwise is undesireable. This article explains why:

*http://www.wellnessresources.com/health/articles/the_vital_role_of_cholesterol_in_health/

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Cat Mom2 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:48 pm

I recently had some xanthomas on my eye lids removed that had been there for many years, that is when they put me on statins and lowering my cholesterol did not make them go away. The dermatoligist that removed them said they were the deepest ones he had ever seen and that is why they wouldn't go away..

Point of this thread is... has anyone hear of any new cholesterol lowering drug on the market that is not a statin drug? I need to get informed on it if there is anything out there.
Cat Mom2

Postby Brian C. » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:33 am

CatMom2 I assume you have tried non-drug alternatives to get your numbers down? My xanthomas on hand and heel tendons certainly disappeared during 17 years of statin therapy and have not reappeared after 18 months since stopping. I am happy to stay "high normal" (i.e.around 300) and take krill oil, astaxanthin, MK-2,alfalfa, lots of Vit C etc.

Brian.
Brian C.

A non-drug approach to hyperlipidaemia

Postby Brian C. » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:13 pm

I have found my old notes regarding non-drug intervention to ameliorate hyperlipidaemia. For what they are worth....

STRATEGY: to decrease LDL while at the same time increasing HDL and bile secretion.

REDUCING LDL: Berberine, Alfalfa. Pycnogenol.

INCREASING HDL: Reduce calorie intake (low carb diet); Increase aerobic activity; Increase dietary fat (paticularly mono-unsaturated and saturated from natural sources); Cut out trans-fatty acids (i.e. avoid manufactured foodstuffs); Drink a little red wine each day (1 to 2 glasses); Add soluble fibre to the diet (oat bran, psyllium); Take fish oils for Omega-3 fatty acids; Take niacin.

INCREASING BILE SECRETION: Artichoke extract (cynarin); Calendula; Tumeric (curcumin); Hawthorn; Dandelion Root tea.

Brian.
Brian C.

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs