A glimpse under the stone...

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

A glimpse under the stone...

Postby Brian C. » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:59 am

...at the low life squirming beneath :

*http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/statins/doctors-and-drug-money/#more-1700

"I don’t know why Sen. Grassley is so hell bent on rooting out financial improprieties in the world of antidepressant research when those drugs account for only a fraction of the sales that statins do. Although I haven’t seen reports in the major media, I would assume that these kinds of violations are rampant among statin researchers since there is many multiples of the money available there as opposed to that available for promotion of psychiatric drugs.

Although I can’t find the actual quote, I think it was George Bernard Shaw who said “I find it hard to trust a man who tells me my gall bladder needs removing when he stands to make £300 for removing it.” I, myself, find it hard to trust a man who tells me I my patients need to take Paxil when he stands to make $960,000 for telling me so. Multiply that sentiment by a factor of at least 10, and that will tell you how much I trust a man who tells me I need to take a statin."

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Allen1 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:53 am

Brian,

you have to feel sorry for those Dr's ie:-

[code]From 2000 through 2006, Dr. Nemeroff received just over $960,000 from Glaxo, but reported to Emory that he received no more than $35,000.[/code]

Those poor researchers are so overworked that they are getting mentally confused about their earnings, I wonder if they too have fallen victim to statin abuse like all of us :shock:

Greedy lying toerags, they should be sacked and ridiculed for abusing their positions.
Allen1

Postby Brian C. » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:06 pm

"Greedy lying toerags, they should be sacked and ridiculed for abusing their positions"

But of course that's not the way it works, only those truth-seekers challenging the status quo receive that kind of treatment :(

E.g THINCS members being refused publication of their papers in medical journals.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby adec » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:18 pm

This New York Times magazine article from late last year makes a great companion piece. Places you nearer to the mindset [and epiphany] of an ethically co-opted [but now self-professedly reformed] prescribing physician. I must admit; I don't appreciate Dr. Carlat's semi-apologistic (woe is me) tone nearly as much as his boldness, candor, and yeah, bravery.

The New York Times
Dr. Drug Rep
By Daniel Carlat
Published: November 25, 2007

"On a blustery fall New England day in 2001, a friendly representative from Wyeth Pharmaceuticals came into my office in Newburyport, Mass., and made me an offer I found hard to refuse. He asked me if I’d like to give talks to other doctors about using Effexor XR for treating depression. He told me that I would go around to doctors’ offices during lunchtime and talk about some of the features of Effexor. It would be pretty easy. Wyeth would provide a set of slides and even pay for me to attend a speaker’s training session, and he quickly floated some numbers. I would be paid $500 for one-hour “Lunch and Learnâ€Â
adec

Postby adec » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:15 pm

Brian said, "But of course that's not the way it works, only those truth-seekers challenging the status quo receive that kind of treatment.... E.g THINCS members being refused publication of their papers in medical journals."

This too has happened to Dr. Graveline in a professionally profound way.

Here's an interesting fairly recent radio interview given by Dr. Deagle of the NutriMedical report with Dr. Graveline. I have been meaning to post this here for the longest time. Eventually I would like to gather together these types of interviews into one post for easy access. Place them all neatly onto a compact disc and they make for great conversation pieces and party favors. I sometimes even leave required listening and reading material lying around in doctors offices on my many visits. I'll bet those cardiologists have been especially pleased :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Nutrimedical Report
January 22, 2008
Dr Duane Graveline MD NASA talks about cholesterol lowering Statin Class drugs induction of Transient Global Amnesia, ALS, Myopathy and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Mitochondrial damage and plague of Dementia explosion.

*http://www.nutrimedical.com/audio_file.jhtmlid=449&file=0122082.mp3
cut and paste link into your browser ( remove* )
adec

Postby Biologist » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:27 am

It would not come up for me, adec. Here is what I got:

"We are sorry, the page you are trying to access does not exist.

Please click the banner above or the link provided below to return to our mainpage...

*http://www.nutrimedical.com

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Brian C. » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:30 am

Of course Dr. Graveline is a long-time THINCS member.

Group founder Dr. Uffe Ravnskov is having trouble finding a publisher for his sequel to "The Cholesterol Myth".

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Allen1 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:25 am

Brian and Biologist,

I also had a problem downloading the file yesterday. For some reason when I pasted the link it ended up with a _ after the .mp3 ie .mp3_

I removed the underscore and eventually the file downloaded but the page did not load, I can see the page loads up as Biologist mentions so I have uploaded the file to Rapidshare in case you still wish to hear it etc.

All the best,
Allen.

*http://rapidshare.com/files/152009114/0122082.mp3
Allen1

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs