Supplementing with CoQ10??

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Postby Ray Holder » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:05 pm

UK members may have seen in the news an increase in the £18 maximum for free of duty imports to £105 from 1st December, and this looked like good news for those who, like me, get their supplements from USA.

However, the HM Customs website says that VAT will still be chargeable, so what has changed??. I have never had a big enough consignment to stray into Customs charges, but the Post Office collection fee of £8, and then the VAT can add 2/3 to the cost for a small amount over the limit.

I have Emailed the Enquiry point, asking if the de minimus figure for VAT will be raised, I fear I shall get a dusty answer!!!

Will keep you informed of any result.

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby Brian C. » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:46 am

Well done for picking up on that Ray, I was completely unaware of that forthcoming change. I think we can rely on HM Customs & Excise (or whatever the New-Speak title of the moment might be) to become more ferocious as Govt. finances collapse in the recession.

However, what worries me more is aggressive implementation of Europe's Codex Alimentarius. The UK Govt. has proven itself über-zealous in the past, "Gold Plating" and all that.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Ray Holder » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:56 am

I am copying the Email from Customs, which I received today. As I suspected, it is still to be "status quo" for relatively small value packages such as those we might receive

Rsay

Dear Mr Holder
Thank you very much for your question.
I can confirm that the £18 limit will continue to apply to import VAT.
The only change from 1 December 2008 will be an increase in the Customs duty allowance which is as a result of an amendment to EU legislation.
I hope this clarifies the situation for you.
Kind regards
Customs and International
Ray Holder

Postby Brian C. » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:37 am

Oh well, no change then as far as we are concerned.

Brian.
Brian C.

Previous

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs