Could these be symptoms of my Simvastatin?

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Could these be symptoms of my Simvastatin?

Postby sdk1406 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:41 pm

I am a 54 year old female and I've been taking Simvastatin for a little over a year. In that time, I've developed very weak wrists, a constant sore tongue, and pain in my left knee associated with what is probably my peroneal nerve. When my wrists and lower arms became very weak, I began to think it was from menopause. Then my tongue started to hurt no matter what I ate...even when I wasn't eating. My left knee I can't lean on it without the peroneal nerve shooting pains. In all my research on these individual symptoms, the only thing that seems to tie them together is that each could be due to a lack of B vitamins. From what I've read, the statins deplete the body of many important nutrients. I have started to take a Super B supplement each morning. I want to go off this simvastatin to see if my symptoms go away. I know my doctor won't be happy, but this is my body. Can I just stop cold turkey or is there a method to going of this? Thank you in advance.
sdk1406

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:59 pm

SDK: I took statins for 5 - 6 years and quit the very day I found out they were likely causing all my physical problems. Others back off over a few days or a week; the choice is yours. I strongly suggest you also start CoQ10 supplementation at least and perhaps Acetyl L-Carnitine as well. Statins depress the body's ability to produce Heme-a, Dolichols, and CoQ10; all necessary to life.

Pain is common in elbows, wrists, knees, ankles, and hips along with cramping (long term) in the back, calves, hands, stomach and ribs (I also had sores on the sides of my tongue).

One year is not such a long time to be on this poison particularly if the dosage is low, but the way Statins affect people differs radically person to person. I have improved but am not the man I was pre-statins. I hope you recover completely. Welcome to the forum.

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby sdk1406 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:37 pm

Thank you, Brooks. This is the first long-term medication I've ever had to take and I take 20 mg. But I've always been in very good physical shape and it just seems like all these pains and symptoms hit me at one time within this time period. I have NO OTHER conditions that would put me at risk for heart attack or stroke; no family history, don't smoke, not overweight, nothing except my high blood cholesterol. That's always in the 240-260 range. Can I get the CoQ10 supplementation and Acetyl L-Carnitine at a local health and nutrition store?
sdk1406

Postby cjbrooksjc » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:02 pm

SDK: You can get what you need at health food stores, but the internet is a much cheaper source for supplements.

I get my CoQ10 here: **http://www.epic4health.com/
NOTE - Remove the asterisks before you copy the address

And my L-Carnitine here **http://www.gonsi.com/search.cfm
I get a combo "Acetyl L-Carnitine Arginate and Acetly L-Carnitine HCI"
Again, remove the asterisks before you copy the address.

And there are many other internet sources. The CoQ10 I use is a bit pricey, but it is the one my cardiologist recommends, so I pay the price.

BTW: I was healthy as a racehorse before statins (lipitor/Zocor) reduced me to my current state. I would ABSOLUTELY suspect this medication. In your place I would stop NOW and take no chance of further damage, but that is solely my opinion; I am a statin sufferer, not a physician. The ultimate choice is yours.

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs