Fish oil for high trigs?

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Fish oil for high trigs?

Postby BSGfan » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:42 am

I had been taking Lopid and Zocor for I believe over a decade, and then they began to severely aggravate back cramps, headaches, ocular migraines...all these symptoms virtually disappeared once I stopped taking Lopid and Zocor.

Two years ago I had a Lopid-Mevacor-Niacin interaction that left me with a cramping burning sensation in my jawline and cheeks, which, although it fluctuates greatly, persists to this day. Last year I found I was developing various food, vitamin, and spice intolerances, I suspect due to ongoing mevalonate pathway disruptions, which all seemed to aggravate my facial discomfort to various degrees and for various times, among them, most strongly, salmon, fish oil, flax seed oil, garlic and cinnamon. B-Complex is also uncomfortable, but I find I can eat foods high in B vitamins with minimal discomfort, as well as eat fish such as cod and snapper also with minimal discomfort.

My untreated cholesterol hovers in the 260 range; my untreated trigycerides are in the 350-400 range. Despite diet alterations and a more than 40 pound weight loss over the past year these values remain persistently high.

I am considering using fish oil capsules, despite the discomfort I know they will cause, to try to lower my triglycerides. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to brands and dosage? Is there a fish oil product available that is not made from salmon, as I seem to have great difficulty tolerating salmon and salmon oil? Thank you.
BSGfan

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:54 pm

There have been reports on this site of Krill Oil lowering cholesterol numbers; though I can't attest to that, it is another avenue for you to pursue. Polycosanol (sp?) is another supplement suggested to lower the numbers, and I have ordered some.

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby catspajamas » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:20 pm

Fish oil capsules brought my triglyc. down from 400 to normal in a years time...I found when using supplements like fish oil, policosanol (which helped me too) you have to be more patient for your numbers to go down...I didn't have any bad effects from the fish oil...nor the policosanol...I now take a complex that has policosanol, plant esters, a little niacin..and guggle...plus vit c , e...cut sugar out of your diet and your triglyc. will be better too.....that old sugar thing in our american diet is one of the bad guys when it comes to cholesteral...esp. boughten cookies, cakes, etc...so glad we can share here what works and what doesn't.....
catspajamas

Postby ronni » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:47 pm

My brand of fish oil is Health from the Sea and it contains sardines, anchovies and mackeral, - no salmon. I researched quite a bit before I settled on this brand. It is guaranteed to be pure from contaminants and is flavored orange so no fishy burps! I have been taking if for nearly two years and recently when I tried to lower the dose, my trigs went up! Needless to say, I went back on my original dose. My cardiologist recommended four capsules per day. I get mine from Allstar Health and it is reasonably priced.
ronni

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs