Vitamin B/Folate Trial "Shows No Benefit"

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Vitamin B/Folate Trial "Shows No Benefit"

Postby stratuus » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:54 pm

*http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/579319?src=mp&spon=17&uac=106816FN

Interesting results on cancer and thrombotic strokes too.
stratuus

Postby Ray Holder » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:27 pm

Hi stratuus and all

I had my posting all finished, but was looking for the url to quote, it was hard to find and lo! I pressed the wrong button, so here is take no.2.

I looked this WENBIT trial up on Google, there are several results, with differing announcements of the trial results, often a bit dismissive, but usually missing the point that this was a trial of secondary treatment results, not one to prevent problems in the first place. A well illustrated file from the originators can be found at
*www.medpagetoday.com/upload/2007/9/5/709006_mpt_sld.pdf , although some other info is on other Google results, such as funding of individuals and the trial, not all without bias

Significantly, all the patients had had CVD problems, many had angiograms taken, and 90% WERE ON STATINS, with a high proportion also taking aspirin, clopidogrel, beta blockers, ACE inhibitors, etc, so what was the combined effect of all these in combination with the folic acid/ B vitamins? I suspect the statins were at their usual tricks sabotaging body functions, and muddying the waters of the trial. The same was true of the NORVIT, a similar trial, and in my view, not credible. How can you separate out the effects of drugs which are all trying to do much the same thing?

There was shown a small increase in cancer risk, but it is well known that folic acid without adequate B12 levels is suspect. Most of the participants were 60+, and B12 is not well taken up by many older people. No level tests are shown for B12, which would have given some insight into this question, although homocysteine levels were taken.

I personally would not expect to see a great reduction in risk for those who have already suffered CVD problems of the magnitude involved. Artery lining damage must have been present for some time, and plaque will have sealed over the scars. Lowered homocysteine is most unlikely to affect the problems now well covered, but that does not infer that it cannot have an effect in preventing artery damage in the first place.

I took comfort from the finding that a small decrease in strokes was observed, as I am taking the folic acid combination tablet in the hope that the events of 2005 will not be repeated!!!

Ray
Ray Holder

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs