Torn shoulder tendons

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Torn shoulder tendons

Postby valgators » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:48 pm

Well, here is another problem for me for which I hold statins to blame.

2 1/2 years ago I ended up with a frozen left shoulder. It took about a year before I regained full range of motion. Now I find out the tendons are torn and I will most likely require rotator cuff surgery. I am not a physically active person who lifts weights or does anything too strenuous (because I can't!). But I believe the tendons were probably torn back during the frozen shoulder days and it has just now progressed to this new problem. I can't figure out any other answer except the muscles are weakened and just about anything can stress them to a problem.

Anyone else agree?

Valgators
valgators

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:12 am

I agree. My research has convinced me that torn or detached tendons can be one of the statin drug side effects. My legs are a good example of muscle tendon problems. Of course, my doctor disagrees!

gotts
gotts1936

Postby SusieO » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:32 am

My sister-in-law takes Lipitor and has torn her shoulder as well as both knees and has had surgery on all of them. I keep trying to tell her it is from the Lipitor and she disagrees. I have finally just shut up because she thinks she is right and I know she is wrong from my own statin damage.

I would bet any money your problem is from the Lipitor.
SusieO

Postby Cat Mom2 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:51 am

I have been suffering from shoulder problems for over a year ...tendonitis, bursitis, arthritis and a bone spur. Just woke up one morning out of the blue and BHAM! There it was! No previous history of any shoulder problems before. Nothing has helped so I quit going to the doctors for it. Took shots in it twice (3 each time at over $250 each stick) and they only helped for only 1 week. He wanted to do it again but I refused because the benifits were not worth the cost of them even though I have insurance.

I got the rolled eye thing from him when he asked me how I hurt it and my reply was "NOTHING except I took statin drugs!". Hopefully he will remember that when the next person comes along on statins with and unexplained injury like mine.
Cat Mom2

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:15 am

During my statin regimen, I developed shoulder pain and a 'crunching' sort of coffee grinder noise in both shoulders. It began to lessen when I took (and I've posted this before) something called 'Joint Relief' from Iceland Health. Did my shoulders simply get better on their own or did the Joint Relief do the job?... I don't know, but I still order and use the product, and my shoulders are nearly back to pre-statin form.

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs