Treatment for Muscle Weakness - Massage Therapy?

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Treatment for Muscle Weakness - Massage Therapy?

Postby twinmom » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:28 am

I stopped taking Zocor 15 months ago. Had many months of GI problems, muscle pain (in biceps and shoulders), extreme fatigue and weakness. Am still having the muscle weakness and fatigue, keeping me from my "normal" lifestyle, having to rest many hours each day, with little stamina or energy. My internist has nothing to offer as treatment, pretty much denies this is statin-induced - but I know differently! Has anyone tried massage therapy for the muscle weakness? I'm thinking of trying it, to get blood flowing to the damaged muscles. I am unable to do any physical exercise, as this causes more extreme fatigue and I'm back on the couch for days! Would appreciate input/suggestions. Thanks!
twinmom

Postby Allen1 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:19 am

Hi there twinmom,

I think that most of the folk here including myself know exactly what you are going through. Co enzyme q10 and L-carnitine do make a big difference to the severity of the fatigue and pain although it doesn't stop them, it can make it more livable with. I ran out of carnitine and boy am I regretting it, a new supply should thankfully arrive soon.

The idea of massaging seems to be a good one to try out, you know how it helps when you massage your arms etc when they ache and it does seem to help a little. I find that when I am fatigued lying down on a bed works best for me, this way all your body is supported and sometimes after 10-30 minutes rest I feel refreshed (sometime I sleep other times the support is all I need) other times it could be a couple of hours just to get me by.

Life after statins will never be "normal" for quite a lot of us but by trial an error we are getting by.

All the best,

Allen
Allen1

Postby valgators » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:43 pm

Hi twinmom:

Massage can loosen up the muscles and make a temporary improvement but in my experience it didn't carry over for long. Maybe if you can get massages a couple of times a week for a while, you might get a different result. Just be sure to go to a therapist who will listen to you when you say you want a gentle massage. Deep massaging, in my opinion, is not what you want. Also, my chiropractor recommends a massage once a month to flush out the lymphatic system so that might be an added bonus.

PS Are you drinking lots of water a day? That also helps with achy muscles!

Good luck!
Valgators
valgators

Postby twinmom » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:09 pm

Allen and Valgators -
Thanks for the suggestions. It was very interesting to hear that you get the best relief from lying down for awhile - I found this to be the most helpful remedy for me, as well. What dosages of CoQ10 and l-carnitine are you taking? I'm taking 300 mg of CoQ10 per day and 1000 mg of carnitine, but can't really notice much improvement with that. You're so right that statin damage is life-altering, and this forum has been my support system. Don't know what I'd have done without it!

All the Best, Twinmom
twinmom

Postby Allen1 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:50 am

Hi there twinmom,

in answer your question about the amount of q10 and L-carnitine I take daily, in a financially secure world I would be taking around 300 - 400mg of q10 and upto 3 x 1000mg of L-carnitine. Unfortunately the way things are in the real world I take 60 mg of q10 twice a day and around 1000 mg L-carnitine twice a day.

60mg of q10 and 1000mg of L-carnitine once a day is the minimum amount that I can take before things get too bad, as I mentioned earlier my L-carnitine has ran out and life pretty much sucks at the moment (it should be here shortly). I have also ran out of q10 in the past and was unable to get more for over a week, you realize how much they help when you don't have them :shock:

Apart from financial reasons for the lower doses, I don't want my body to give up trying to manufacture its own q10 etc, I would think if there were sufficient quantities of q10 etc in your system, then something would regulate the manufacturing of those things and stop more from being produced. I'm probably wrong by about a million miles in my thinking , but I would rather help a weakened system than completely bypass it if there is a chance it can repair/improve with time and assistance.

I also think that q10 and L-carnitine etc should be made available FREE (or at least at a reduced rate) through a doctor to all that have been effected by statin therapy.

Even with all the q10 and carnitine in the world, we are never going to be "normal", the most we can hope for is to be a little less fatigued and a little less discomfort plus the ability to think clearly a little longer. Apart from getting tired and feeling weak, there are some days I feel human again (unless I try to do anything too taxing).

The main thing is that we are all alive and although our spirits get really low at times we know that we are not alone and that all the disbelieving doctors and tests that we have all endured and thoughts about hypochondriac etc have not just happened to me/you but everyone here and so many others. All of the above make me want to be around to see things put right and see successful prosecutions to the manufacturers who have deliberately kept things hidden and who have done this to me and everyone else who has been effected by taking this poison.

Sorry, I got a bit carried away there :twisted: Allen :)
Allen1

Postby Brian C. » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:29 am

Unfortunately dreaming of retribution and recompense re statin damage is dreaming of revolution.

If anything the corporate grip is getting tighter.

Funny that those countries resisting are called "The Axis Of Evil"....

I am hoping that we will be able to try dosing ourselves with a very weak solution of Methyl Blue in the not too distant future. It will be very cheap and may, in addition to the CoQ10, be just what our poor wrecked mitochondria need.

Fingers crossed.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Allen1 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:55 am

Hi there Brian,

that Methyl Blue dosing to help these problems sounds like possibly a step in the right direction, at least it may promote more research into our problems as they are being made aware that they do actually exist.

In the meantime wanting to see the faceless corporate poisoners being brought to justice is what works for me. :twisted:

All the best,

Allen :)
Allen1

Postby Ray Holder » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:30 pm

Hi Twinmom
!000 mg of carnitine a day is quite a small dose, although some may find it enough for their needs. It could help you to experiment with larger doses to see if you can obtain more benefit, I have built up slowly to 10 grams a day, but I know at 87 that my own body's supply can only be very small now.

Add about 500mg a day, taking 3/4 days to see how it affects you, and if all is well, up the dosage by another 500 mg a day for another period, and so on, until either you get enough improvement, or your bowels object, in which case leave off 250 mg of the extra. Taking some of the extra later in the day (I assume you take the 1000mg first thing in the morning) may help to maintain the carnitine body level for longer, but not after about 4.00 pm, or it may make it too difficult to get to sleep.

You may find too many capsules are not easy to face, and L Carnitine powder could be a better alternative, dissolved in a little water and/or juice. You don't say if you are taking L Carnitine or acetyl Carnitine, the L version may be what you need.

Ray
Ray Holder

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs