plavix

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

plavix

Postby uncle2blade » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:11 am

Hi everyone, I'm hoping you will give me some guidance on taking Plavix. I have no cardiovascular disease, and have never suffered a stroke. I had a heart valve replaced in Jan. witch a tissue valve. I was suffering from a-fib, but have been in normal sinus rhythm for eight weeks now, so my Dr. took me of anticoagulants. He wants me to take Plavx. My statin experience has left me gun shy.

Thanks, Craig
uncle2blade

Postby ronni » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:31 pm

Hi Craig,

I was put on Plavix when it was discovered that I had two blocked arteries in my heart. I didn't notice any side effects. Eight days later, I had two drug-eluting stents implanted and will be on Plavix indefinitely because of the stents. All my problems began when Vytorin was added to control the plaque in my arteries even though I did not have high cholesterol. To make a long story short, like every one else on this site, the statins nearly destroyed me. I have been off Vytorin for one year and still have not fully recovered. I don't feel that Plavix has caused me any problems even though I have been on it nearly two years. I bruise a little easier and bleed more freely when I get a cut, but no real issues. Plavix is an anti-platelet medication. It will keep blood clots from forming and most likely your doctor is afraid clots may form around your new valve. You have to make your own decisions about it, but make sure you understand what might happen if you do not take it.
ronni

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs