Esophageal problems related to statins?

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Esophageal problems related to statins?

Postby valgators » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:18 am

I wondered if others have experienced unexplained esophageal discomfort when all tests reveal "there is nothing wrong". Since the esophagus is a muscle it makes sense that it can easily be affected. In April I had a particularly bad case of diverticulitis. A few weeks after that cleared, I developed pressure and discomfort in the esophagus.....not acid reflux. Of course I was put on Nexium and then Aciphex, but since the problem is not "heartburn", it didn't help. I have had an endoscopy which was completely normal. Being female makes it even more difficult because any pressure (bra) around the mid section only adds to the problem.

I'm thinking this is just another muscle weakened by statins????

If others have experienced this, please share your information.
Valgators
valgators

Postby catspajamas » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:52 pm

I had esophageal problems after I was on zocor awhile....since off I have swallowing problems @ times...I contribute them to statins...weakened muscles that help with swallowing...If they weakened my eye lid that now droops, and my body in general ...why not the esophagus....makes sense to me......I have already had the esophagus stretched and may need it once a year or so if it keeps up....no gerd for me either.....ever...so??????
catspajamas

Postby Cat Mom2 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:26 am

While on statins and since being off of them, I have almost a constatnt squeezing feeling around my bra area. It gets bad at times and then goes away for awhile and comes back. I had acid reflux while on the drug and it stopped when I got off but now I have a lot of nausea that build up and if I can burp, it will go away. Haven't addressed this with my doctor since I don't trust him anymore... :roll:
Cat Mom2

Postby catspajamas » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:15 pm

I would go to a gastroenterologist...thats what I had to do....I get that "full" feeling..like what I want to swallow won't go down...sits at the back of my throat at times...even water...My opinion is the muscles that contract the esophagus to swallow aren't working right or don't work at all sometimes...do I make sense? I had the esophagus stretched 2 years ago and it was fine for awhile....The stretching and endoscopy is no big deal..you sleep through it...just wastes a day of your time...Do you find you have to take a sip of water or liquid between bites of food?...another sign the esophagus isn't working right... its also another sign of scleroderma..of which I have many symptoms...think statins did that to me too.....Hope you can find a dr that will listen to you without thinking we are all complainers and hypochrondiacs.....
catspajamas

Postby Allen1 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:21 pm

Hi there valgators, catspajamas and Cat Mom2.

What you have all experienced also seems to effect men as well, I did have and still do have acid reflux problems (before and after statins) but never problems with swallowing or air trapped mid chest prior to statins.

Now if I have to lay flat on my back for instance to have an MRI scan or even a dental checkup, I find I can't swallow or breath very well and it takes a lot of willpower to stop a panic attack from occurring. Obstructive sleep apnea is now part of my life (top of my throat/back of mouth) and now my right nostril will only allow air out but not in?

A lot of problems I had while on statins have lessened over time, the ones that are still here are easily fatigued and short lived thinking ability as well as the above and a few other problems ie itchy skin and aches etc.

I really DON'T think that majority of the problems would have happened if I had NOT taken statins in the first place.

The truth will come out some day!
Allen1

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:23 pm

Following five years of Lipitor/Zocor, I developed problems drinking water during the night (prompted by a statin-induced night thirst) and would feel as if I were asphyxiating followed by the usual gasping associated with that sort of event. I developed and still have swallowing probs taking pills. Although both these effects (not the night thirst) have lessened somewhat over the last two years, I am absolutely convinced they were and are, both statin induced.

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs