Vitamin D and Statins

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:13 pm

xrn: Still under steam here and making fair headway. Plan to go to the shore (the Gulf) this coming week and (to paraphrase our Aussie cousins) 'lay about' and 'walk a bit'. Monitoring your and Brian's exchange reminds me we will soon (late Nov.) be among the Picts - Glasgow and Edinborough - to visit the Wife's old turf and older clan relations. Bringing the entire American sept along. The wife is arranging everything (Scotland in November?).... as her cousin said: "You must be mad!". We'll avoid the 'heelands' though, and I have my youngest son-in-law laying out a plan of attack on the en route Pub population... shouldn't be too shabby a retreat, even with the misplaced steering wheels.... I always drive on the left after a few pints anyway. Glad to see your hand in! Welcome back!

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby xrn » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:14 am

Brooks:
Still under steam here and making fair headway. Plan to go to the shore (the Gulf) this coming week and (to paraphrase our Aussie cousins) 'lay about' and 'walk a bit'.

xrn:
Sounds like you are in for a relaxing week. I am envious. :)

Brooks:
Monitoring your and Brian's exchange reminds me we will soon (late Nov.) be among the Picts - Glasgow and Edinborough - to visit the Wife's old turf and older clan relations. Bringing the entire American sept along. The wife is arranging everything (Scotland in November?).... as her cousin said: "You must be mad!".

xrn:
Scotland is nice at any time. (I am a 'the glass is half full' person) I stayed in Glasgow during the early part of the 90s for some course or another which was being run by Strathclyde University. They even let me stay in the halls of residence, which earned me some strange looks from younger students. You could see it writ large in their faces when they saw me in the halls for the first time. Heaven forfend that they thought I was some kind of unauthorised intruder... with the baggage that conclusion presages. ;)

I was surprised by the pedestrianisation of Sauchiehall street, where the halls of residence were conveniently located. It was a long way from the image of tenement buildings, and chaotic traffic, which I had been expecting from earlier memories of visiting Glasgow. The street was open, clean and pleasant to walk around, if a little similar to almost any other high street in the UK, where the soul has been lost because all of the prime retail locations are owned by large corporations, who insist on impressing their featureless and identical facades onto the landscape. My take is that this once vibrant place had been sanitised and made safe and acceptable for the sake of the touristi, who would be seeking out some shining examples of the work of Charles Rennie Mackintosh.

Brooks:
We'll avoid the 'heelands' though, and I have my youngest son-in-law laying out a plan of attack on the en route Pub population... shouldn't be too shabby a retreat, even with the misplaced steering wheels.... I always drive on the left after a few pints anyway. Glad to see your hand in! Welcome back!

xrn:
Aha! A pint of 'heavy' and a pie no doubt. As for the position of the steering wheel... it wont really matter after the impossibly wide boulevards I found in all of the USA towns I have stayed, which were south of the Mason-Dixon line. You will not be surprised to learn that many of the roads, in rural Scotland, are barely wide enough for a single car and we tend to have traffic going both ways on such cart tracks as those which pass for our national transportation system.

With a string nerve and a cautious approach, it is the single track roads that will take you away from the tourist pathways and reveal some of the more interesting aspects of Scotland. The weather will be predominantly wet, windy and colder than you are used to, but a well-prepared expedition will tease out all of the inherent charm of bygone days.
Drive safely and have fun. Don't dare to consider drinking alcohol and driving though... because you will always end up spilling your beer. ;)

Best,
Brooks

Kind regards to you and your family.
xrn
xrn

Previous

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs