Vitamin D and Statins

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Vitamin D and Statins

Postby Dee » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:01 pm

I had my Vitamin D tested last week, was low. 15.8 on a normal range of 32-100.

When looking over the side effects of Low D, many seem to overlap the same problems caused by statins.

Just wondering if that is one way that statins damage us.

Also found this link just now:

*http://www.kcci.com/health/17015425/detail.html?treets=des&tid=2651514762813&tml=des_12pm&tmi=des_12pm_1_12000308052008&ts=H

And this:

*http://www.revolutionhealth.com/blogs/bradlyjacobsmdmph/vitamin-d-woefully-in-14382?affiliate_code=des&msc=D00641
Dee

Postby Allen1 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:52 am

Hi there Dee,

that is a very enlightening post. I think I mentioned in a previous post about statins interfering with the skins ability to convert sunlight to Vitamin D as it was meant to, that had something to do with cholesterol reduction or something along those lines (your body uses cholesterol in the conversion).

No wonder we are all so ill from this BLUNDER DRUG!
Allen1

Postby adec » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:26 pm

Statins are analogs of vitamin D3. Vitamin D2 or ergocalciferol is also an analog of Vitamin D3. So statins might have a similar effect as vitamin D2 at raising serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D status. Yet, statins and D2 suffer equally from much lower potency rates in comparison to D3, and would be considered poorer sources. However, doctors will often prescribe D2, even with its poorer overall potency, simply because it was once the only patented version available of vitamin D3.

In terms of overall bio-availability of vitamin D3, the powdered capsule or tablet form has a much poorer absorption rate compared to gelcap form. Now, in theory, you should be able to ingest the powered form of D3 along with a lipid and experience the same bio-availability; though, I've never seen this tested.

I would probably recommend a softgel brand like Carlson's (with 2000IU per cap) to raise 25-hydroxyvitamin D blood levels. You can find this item sold at Vitacost.com, 360 softgels for only $11. My mom takes 4000IU daily, and has tested well within normal ranges throughout the last two years.
adec

Postby Biologist » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:45 pm

Interesting website:

*http://www.doctorsaredangerous.com/articles/statin.htm

"Do statin drugs mimic a vitamin?

In 2006 Dr. Davis S. Grimes of the Blackburn Royal Infirmary in Great Britain, ruffled a lot of feathers in the medical world when he revealed that statin drugs appear to be synthetic versions (called analogs) of vitamin D. [Lancet 2006 Jul 1; 368(9529):83–6] All the alleged health benefits of statin drugs, prevention of osteoporosis, cancer prevention, promotion of arterial health, parallel those of vitamin D. The pharmaceutical world was quick to deny the allegation.

Steer the public away from high-dose vitamin D

But something had to be done to distract the public away from taking vitamin D pills. So a misleading claim was made that high-dose vitamin D actually induces arterial calcifications and that pharmaceutical companies would have to invent synthetic versions (analogs) of vitamin D that would not result in calcification of tissues throughout the body..."

_________

Biologist
Biologist

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:09 pm

One of the telling signs of statin poisoning, for me at lease, was a visable change in my skin: It became less elastic, flaky, drier, and developed 'patches' of skin buildup that could be scratched off with a fingernail; it is still so. I don't doubt that there are other statin-induced dermal malfunctions of which I, or others, may be unaware.

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:10 pm

at leasT, Ii meant at leasT, not lease.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby catspajamas » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:41 pm

On zocor for 4 years, ....off 8....I have low vit D3 levels which are being supplemented now....but the kicker as far as my skin condition is I have all the symptoms of scleroderma without a elevated ana....The normal ana tells the dr I don't have it and my symptoms tells him I do...The dr orders tests for our symptoms and when they come back negative they are stumped..You would think with the elimination of other diseases would be a indicator that it was a statin that did it...I know statins "gave" me scleroderma...even though "tests" don't confirm it.I have a rheumatologist that had bad reactions to statins too so I do have hope that he will do his best for me.....I can peel skin off too..the beds of my fingernails are blue...dry mouth/eyes..etc etc...besides the pn and weak muscles(esp my legs).....hang in there people....just cats....
catspajamas

Postby Biologist » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:08 pm

Hi, Brooks and catspajamas

I am currently reading "Alzheimer's Solve (Condensed Edition)" by Henry Lorin (where Dr. Graveline writes the "cover blurb" for the book). Besides the lens of the eye (where a lack of cholesterol is the major cause of cataracts), the most "cholesterol dependent" tissue of the body is the skin (along with the brain). While there may be additional adverse statin-related mechanisms involved, the mere lowering of cholesterol levels (particularly as transported by LDL) would be expected to damage the skin. There is necessarily MUCH cholesterol in our skin (and our hair, too). A lack of cholesterol, the single most important molecule in the body (he sure makes a good argument for that contention), does more than cause Alzheimer's -- it also damages skin (and eyes, and the blood vessels, and on and on...). Prediction: it will be determined in the future that higher base levels of cholesterol are an adaptive advantage.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:46 pm

biologist & catspjs: Yep, vision problems and dry eyes (now on some eye lubricant crap from ALCON more precious than saffron) and dry mouth (esp at night). I'm still hopeful and wait for those GOOD days and try to enjoy them.

Courage,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Allen1 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:07 am

Brooks,

I noticed the post about the skin problems a while ago and just found it again recently. I didn't post a reply back then mainly because when someone posts a symptom or a list of symptoms you realise "I had that, and that etc etc", the problem for most of us is that we tend to go through so many changes and problems since statin therapy that we often only recall the problems of the day if asked.

Also you know when you had your night sweats and thirst problems did you also secrete an oily liquid/sweat from your scalp which turned the pillows yellow? I did and it was after the MI and I think it was after starting statins that it began. It seems to have stopped lately but there is sometimes a heavy greasy odour from my scalp even a couple of hours after a shower and shampoo. (Never had a problem before the MI)

Anyway apart from the occasional use of Betnovate if things get bad, I found that Doublebase gel works a treat for the skin problems and it is a prescription item here in the UK. I use it after a shower to keep moisturised and no more itchy skin, here's part of an information I copied:

Doublebase 500g pump dispenser

* White opaque gel containing: Isopropyl myristate 15% w/w, Liquid paraffin 15% w/w
* For dry and chapped skin conditions which may be pruritic or inflammed
* Adults, the elderly, infants and children: apply to affected area as often as necessary. Can be applied before washing, showering or bathing to prevent further drying of the skin
Allen1

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:45 am

Allen: Thanks for your response. I am hypoglycemic (my parathyroids do not function well - it's hereditary) and the side effects of that problem are exacerbated (I believe) by the statins. Biologist just posted a very illuminating (for me) piece if info relative to thyroid medication that implies hypo-thyroidism and a Statin regimen spells miitochondria trouble for anyone on Statin meds. That is something I have aways suspected. Hypothroidism also causes skin changes such as those experienced as a Statin side effect.

Oily scalp: I HAVE noticed I MUST, if I don't have time to shower, at least wash my hair DAILY now - no skipping a couple of days. My hair gets quite oily, but only my scalp; not my face or anything else. It IS a change I associate with Statins.

I also feel certain other bodily malfunctions can be triggered by statins' poisoning effect on our mitochondria; so, it is hard for any physician to focus on the true ailment (statin poisoning) and attendant remedy(s).

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

A useful page on Vitamin D

Postby xrn » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:31 pm

Hello to all.

Here is a good read on Vitamin D; from a trustworthy source.

**http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminD/

(please remove ** from URL before pasting it into your browser)

Kind regards,
xrn
xrn

Postby Allen1 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:04 pm

Hi there Brooks,

I too have to wash my hair at least once a day for the same reason but my face is a bit greasy as well since either the MI or shortly after when I started with the statins. It is good to see Jeff back on the forum as it has been quite a while since we have heard from him :D

Welcome back xrn,

It is great to see you are back with us again and I hope you are feeling a lot better now. I had a quick look at your link but will read it properly tomorrow when my eyes are not so tired.

All the very best,

Allen :D
Allen1

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:02 pm

xrn: Truly informative link. The best since adec's Vit D post a number of months back. Made me order another supply of Vit D pearls :o)

Good to see you are still reading the forum. Did you get Ali Langsjoen's email on CoQ10?

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Brian C. » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:15 am

Good link!
Welcome back old chap :wink:

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby xrn » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:58 am

Thanks for the welcome Allen, Brooks & Brian. I do feel better now and I feel that I am working on all cylinders again.

The link is provided in an effort to clarify the knowledge that people have about vitamin D. My hope is that it will provide a sound basis for underpinning any future decisions that people may make, with regard to the value of this micro-nutrient.

Allen, it will be worth having open eyes to read the material from that link. How I wish that links were only made to properly researched materials. It is apparent, from the e-petition accounts that the wealth of materials, which can be found on the internet, are seriously confusing for lay people. Observing a forum conversation between medics is unlikely to make things very clear.

I have argued for a central repository of accepted and evidence-based knowledge, for the public but the call goes unheeded. It is entirely wrong, in my view, that we are unable to arm ourselves with the information that our medical practitioners neither know about or wish us to have. The issue of informed consent keeps raising its ugly head and I hope to find a way to address it soon.

Hi Brooks. I hope all is well with you and your family. I did receive Ali's excellent e-mail regarding CoQ10, thank you. (a benefit of THINCS membership)

wotcha Brian! How's it going sunbeam? I will catch you at the weekend... I will give you a bell on the dog. ;)
xrn

Postby Brian C. » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:24 am

"wotcha Brian! How's it going sunbeam?"

Ooh, mustn't grumble :wink:

"I will catch you at the weekend..."

Oh no you won't, we'll be North Of The Border, remember? :D

"I will give you a bell on the dog. ;)"

And I'll probably be on the karsey, as usual :lol:

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby xrn » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:28 am

[quote="Brian C."]"wotcha Brian! How's it going sunbeam?"

Ooh, mustn't grumble :wink:

"I will catch you at the weekend..."

Oh no you won't, we'll be North Of The Border, remember? :D

"I will give you a bell on the dog. ;)"

And I'll probably be on the karsey, as usual :lol:

Brian.[/quote]

Hmmm... Hadrian's wall was built to prevent the Picts from raiding the sassenachs. Don't go! Next we know, there will be an invasion of Scots, besmirching this green and pleasant isle.

I would have spelled it as khazi derived from casa meaning brothel or house in Italian. Your spelling favours the Karsey Moilet explanation which I don't happen to find compelling. Ersatz rhyming slang (as far as this cockney goes)

Have a good weekend (don't forget your passport) ;)

xrn
xrn

Postby Brian C. » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:09 am

"I would have spelled it as khazi derived from casa meaning brothel or house in Italian. Your spelling favours the Karsey Moilet explanation which I don't happen to find compelling. Ersatz rhyming slang (as far as this cockney goes)"

I used the dodgy version to put people off the scent, so to speak :lol:

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby xrn » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:27 pm

[quote="Brian C."]"I would have spelled it as khazi derived from casa meaning brothel or house in Italian. Your spelling favours the Karsey Moilet explanation which I don't happen to find compelling. Ersatz rhyming slang (as far as this cockney goes)"

I used the dodgy version to put people off the scent, so to speak :lol:

Brian.[/quote]

eeeeeeeew!
xrn

Next

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs