Conundrum: Continue or stop using statins

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Conundrum: Continue or stop using statins

Postby bradleyda » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:30 am

I am now taking statins for some 3 years varying from 20 to 40mg but mainly on the 40mg side. I have experienced several anxiety problems but have not until recently associated them with Statin use. My level of irritability has gone so high that at times I cannot stand to be around my kids as I know I am going to shout at them for just being kids. My fear is that as I have an LAD blockage of about 50%, I can't stop the statin. My prefernce would be to stop statins but I dare not as I am scared that the positive effects of statins outside of lower cholestrol will be lost and that my blockage could increase and cause a heart attack. Does anyone recommend a natural set of supplements that have the same effect as the statins in terms of plaque stabilisation and anti inflammatory effects. Today I take CoQ10, Fish Oils, Anti Oxidants, Minerals, 2 gm of Vit C, 100mg Aspirin and 40mg Lipitor.
bradleyda

Postby Allen1 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:48 am

Hi there bradleyda,

You really need to see your doctor about your level of irritability and explain your concerns.

There are many folk here who have also experienced this symptom which can also lead to memory problems and much more, even stopping the statins is no guarantee that the effects will go away (it effects people differently, some worse than others) .

Personally, after around 10 - 12 years of statins I ended up with 2x80% and 1x50% blockages, so please do not depend on statins as a life saver as they are not. They may however be classed as a life changer and that is NOT a good thing to go through.

Good luck with your health issues and hopefully someone will point you in the right direction to reduce or halt the blockage,

Allen.
Allen1

Postby Brian C. » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:19 pm

Over the past 14 years, off and on, I have been having intravenous chelation therapy. This removes the calcified deposits in the arteries and any heavy metals in the body. It does not remove calcium from teeth or bones I hasten to add.

Last year I met two chaps at the clinic who were both told they needed triple-bypasses as a matter of urgency 20 years ago. They elected to have chelation instead and are fit and active, one still competing as a racing driver in his sixties! Pity Carroll Shelby didn't know about chelation before his first heart transplant (he's now on his third!)

I have a 100% blocked LAD which is proving stubborn, likely due to damage caused by a failed angioplasty 22 years ago. My other coronaries and my carotids are clear.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby cjbrooksjc » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:00 pm

Bradley: The only way to make this decision is to make it an INFORMED one. Read: "The Great Cholesterol Con", that will help you understand what's going on in your body. Cholesterol doesn't CLOG arteries unless there is something in the arterial wall for it to snag on or cling to. Arterial inflammation is the real culprit, and there are anti-inflammatory products out there that don't reduce your COQ10, dolichols, and HEMEa as Statins do. You need to educate yourself and make the decision FOR yourself. I don't believe there are ANY members in this forum still taking Statins.

You can also go to YOUTUBE and search on CHOLESTEROL - you will find some very interesting videos on the subject.

Welcome to the forum.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby adec » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:12 pm

At best statins, such as Lipitor, are weak anti-inflammatories; at worst they are catastrophic agents of mitochondrial dysfunction -- and overall oxidative damage. I speak from experience, being as my perfectly healthy mom was unneccessarily prescribed a statin drug and subsequently almost died as a result.

Especially the DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) found in Omega-3 oils could help inhibit the progression of atherosclerosis (arterial hardening,) decrease blood viscosity, and assist as a general mood elevator. Instead of aspirin, grape seed extract has been deemed a more safe and effective way to inhibit blood platlet clotting.

You could try amino acids l-lysine and l-proline along with your vitamin C supplementation for general coronary artery disease, as recommended by Dr. Linus Pauling. In combination these three assist the collagen formation necessary for heathy blood vessels, among many other vital organs and structures. I especially like vitamin K2 (as MK-7 or Menaquinone-7) and vitamin D3 (gelcap 2000-4000IU daily) for general arterial calcification. Vitamin D3 and K2 are primarily responsible for regulating calcium metabolism... just as magnesium regulates all smooth vascular muscle cell function, relaxation, energy, and growth.

To literally dissolve blood clots, and reduce inflammation far better than any statin: enteric coated nattokinase/serrapeptase/lumbrokinase or nattozimes/serrazimes are lifesavers. Their greatest role are as a PAI-1 or (plasminogen activation inhibitor-1)... likely the most exacting biomarker currently available of arterial health and inflammation, even more so than C-Reactive protein.

We've pretty much covered everything. You can find all of these supplements online at Vitacost.com. Follow these simple suggestions, and over the next few months, your next ultrasound (and even blood pressure test) might likely show a profound difference. Although, as with any fibrinolytics (including nattokinase and serrapeptase) caution must always be exercised in combination with other medications, but especially any agent acting as a blood thinner. However when used in moderation these supplements are still far safer and more effective than the medication warfarin (coumadin,) basically rat poison when used in ultra-high doses. For starters, coumadin remains active in the body for days vs. hours for nattokinase.

Just remember, the right dose differentiates a poison for just about any prescription pharmaceutical and/or OTC drugs and supplements. And if you must trust also verify, including any statement made here by me.

Good luck.
adec

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs