red yeast rice & other alternatives

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

red yeast rice & other alternatives

Postby gardenmaniac » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:46 am

My doc suggested red yeast rice as she knows I won't take statins again. After doing some research, looks to me like it contains a "natural" form of a statin..(specifically lovastatin)..also on this forum, I've read good and bad things about cinnamon..

Info would be appreciated...thanks.. :?
gardenmaniac

Postby SusieO » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:55 am

I have never tried red yeast rice because it is a natural statin. I have tried cinnamon and became weak and the muscle pain increased. I tried Niacin and it too only made my situation worse. Now I take several different natural supplements and a few of them contain small amounts of Niacin or Niacinimide and I am ok, but had to slowly add them in to my daily regimen.

Many people on here have tried one or the other that you ask about and most had to stop taking them due to increased problems.
SusieO

alternatives

Postby vipergg22 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:07 pm

Cinnamon can help lower lipid levels. One of the more interesting suppliment combos i have seen recently was a cinnamon/coq10 tablet sold by one of the bigger supplement makers , thought that made sense .
vipergg22

Postby adec » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:20 am

I personally would never take red yeast rice, the equivelent of a low dose statin. I'd also worry far more about oxycholesterol vs. non-oxidized cholesterol. Most doctors don't seem to care about the distinction.

Or at least, I'd put far more effort into lowering oxidation and raising HDL, which correlates far better to optimal health and longevity. High LDL is probably only a biomarker of improper liver and thyroid function. Milk thistle is great for improving liver function. Zinc and selenium are both good for improving thyroid function.

I like astaxanthin and low dose niacin (on an empty stomach) for raising HDL, fish oil for lowering triglycerides. Cinnamon does a fairly good job at regulating blood sugar, as does resveratrol.

If you must impress your doctor, Sytrinol (natural bioflavonoids and tocotrienols made from citrus fruits) can dramatically lower total cholesterol, LDL and Triglycerides far more safe and effectively than statins. It probably also has the benefit of lowering C-reactive protein, a major cause of inflammation. Inflammation is far closer to the root of heart disease than cholesterol.
adec

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs